The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Can a teen play Curly? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Can a teen play Curly?
Ok, here's the deal,

my community theater is doing a local production of Oklahoma! and I want to try out for Curly. I have the singing range, I can sing all of the songs very well, I can act the part, I can look the part, etc., etc. The only problem is that I'm 16. I really want this part. Nevertheless of what anyone says, I'm still trying out, for the audition experience. But if anyone has any comments or words of support and encouragement, please feel free to leave them here! Thanks!

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan
Go for it! Stage makeup can make you look any age you need to be.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:16 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Go for it! Depending on who auditions for Curly (and also for Laurie), it could work. And if you don't get Curly, there's many other roles.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Go for it! Stage makeup can make you look any age you need to be.

thanks!

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I see no reason why you shouldn't audition. You have no idea what is in the director's head, and the only way to find out is to go for it! However, you may want to dress up a little for the audition, as that may help make you look older than your actual age. Going in to the auditions in jeans and a t-shirt will just scream "16 year old" to the director. The older you look, the more likely a director will be willing to pair you with potential Lauries in their 20s, and not just the teen girls going for the role.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:11 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It's funny you mentioned this because I'm auditioning for a community production of Oklahoma at the end of the month and I'm in the same situation. I'm 16 and would really like to play Laurey. I'm going out for the part, even though I'm pretty young. Obviously, my advice would be to go for it considering that's what I'm doing as well. Break a leg =)

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:20 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Isn't Curly supposed to be...about that age? I don't think they ever specifically say how old he is, but he can't be much older than 20. I know Gertie Cummings is 18, so I've always pegged Curly around the same age.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:31 pm

Like most period shows, the romantic leads probably are anywhere from fifteen to perhaps twenty or twenty-one, but culturally we now see twenty-somethings as being at the stage in life that these characters are, so it makes sense aesthetically to cast them in the roles. That said, there's no reason Laurey and Curly could not be played by older teenagers in an all-ages production, it has certainly been done before and will be done again.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It doesn't really matter, since the play is completely fictional and so their ages can be young if the director wants, but just as a bit of trivia, the woman upon whom the original character of Laurey was based in Green Grow The Lilacs was in her late twenties. As time has passed, and the type of innocence written into the roles has become less common, a younger cast has become more believable.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Main Role: Performer
I think it does matter..Curley is a respected cattle wrangler..he has experience. Laurie isnt a doey eyed shlep. The relationship is more Beatrice and Benadick than Romeo and Juliet.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Certainly!
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I know that this message thread is about a year old, but I'm going to give everybody my two cents:

Do I think that a teen can play the role of Curly? Certainly! I think that if he has the voice, the acting ability, the ability to analyze his character, and the ability to dance, he can be a super Curly, as long as Laurey doesn't look old enough to be his elder sister, and as long as Jud Fry looks as though he's one honkin' big bruiser! LOL!

Really, though. A teen could play the role of Curley.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Main Role: Performer

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]