The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
to the oklahoma gurus... is this monologue in the show? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post to the oklahoma gurus... is this monologue in the show?
I was looking through a book of monologues and came across a monologue from Green Grow the Lilacs and was wondering if the monologue was in the show, or if i would be safe using it for an audition for the show:

"What do I want? Want some hairpins, a fine-tooth comb, a pink 'un. Want a buckle made out of shiny silver to fasten onto my shoes! Want a dress with lace! Want pe'fume, face whitenin'! Wanta be purty, wanta smell like a honeysuckle vine!" Want things I c'n see and put my hands on. Want things I've heared of and never had before-- pearls in a plus box, diamonds, a rubber-t'ard buggy, a cut glass sugar bowl. Want htings I caint tell you about. caint see 'em clear. Things nobody ever heared of. Not only things to look at and hold in yer hands. Things to happen to you! Things so nice if they ever did happen yer heart ud quit beatin', you'd fall down dead. They ain't no end to the things I want. Everything you got wouldn't be a starter for me, Mister Pedlar Man! So jist give me a bottle of shoe blackin', and make it quick!"

Currently:
Bushyhead Group/Townswoman (Oklahoma!)

Past Role:
Madame de la Grande Bouche (Beauty and the Beast)

Sat May 12, 2007 4:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm not really familiar with either show, but if it were me, I wouldn't do a monologue with so much slang and phrases like: 'un and yer

one or two in a monologue is nice, it gets the point across what type of person the character is. But so many of that just makes the auditionee sound like a hillbilly, and they won't know how articulate you really are!

Sat May 12, 2007 4:52 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm not really familiar with either show, but if it were me, I wouldn't do a monologue with so much slang and phrases like: 'un and yer

one or two in a monologue is nice, it gets the point across what type of person the character is. But so many of that just makes the auditionee sound like a hillbilly, and they won't know how articulate you really are!

If you are not familiar with the show why are you telling this person that you think it would be a bad choice? Oklahoma! requires people using the appropriate accent. The songs are even titled that way.

That said, I don't think it's a bad choice for a monolouge, but I think there are probably better one's for Oklahoma!...although I can't think of anything right now...

Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

pish123c wrote:

If you are not familiar with the show why are you telling this person that you think it would be a bad choice? Oklahoma! requires people using the appropriate accent. The songs are even titled that way.

That said, I don't think it's a bad choice for a monolouge, but I think there are probably better one's for Oklahoma!...although I can't think of anything right now...

ok, but at the same time, i think a few little slang terms like that would be nice to let them know you can do it and have it sound natural, but there gets to be a point where it is just excessive in my opinion.

Sat May 12, 2007 6:19 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Amanda Palmer, Doctor Who, Jane Austen
Main Role: Performer

"Me? Course I want sumpin'. I want a buckle made out of silver to fasten onto my shoes. Want a dress with lace, want perfume, want to be purty... want to smell like a honeysuckle vine. I want things I heared of and never seen before. A rubber-tarred buggy, a cut glass sugar bowl. I want things I can't tell you about. Not only things to look at and hold in your hands, but things to happen to you. Things so nice that, if they ever did happen to you, your heart'd just quit beatin'. You'd fall down dead".

The slang is deliberate, the script is written phonetically. I'm assuming the audition is for Oklahoma! (?) If it is, then definitely do the accent.

To be honest, I hated this speech when I did the role, and I don't know that it's got 'enough' in it for a general monologue, but hopefully this'll give you a bit more info!

Sat May 12, 2007 6:26 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: to the oklahoma gurus... is this monologue in the show?
piratee7 wrote:
"What do I want? Want some hairpins, a fine-tooth comb, a pink 'un. Want a buckle made out of shiny silver to fasten onto my shoes! Want a dress with lace! Want pe'fume, face whitenin'! Wanta be purty, wanta smell like a honeysuckle vine!" Want things I c'n see and put my hands on. Want things I've heared of and never had before-- pearls in a plus box, diamonds, a rubber-t'ard buggy, a cut glass sugar bowl. Want htings I caint tell you about. caint see 'em clear. Things nobody ever heared of. Not only things to look at and hold in yer hands. Things to happen to you! Things so nice if they ever did happen yer heart ud quit beatin', you'd fall down dead. They ain't no end to the things I want. Everything you got wouldn't be a starter for me, Mister Pedlar Man! So jist give me a bottle of shoe blackin', and make it quick!"

In a more basic form this speech is in the show, but it isn't a monologue:

LAUREY: Me? Course I want sump'n. (Working up to a
kind of abstracted ecstasy)
Want a buckle made outa shiny silver
to fasten onto my shoes! Want a dress with lace. Want perfume,
wanta be purty, wanta smell like a honeysuckle vine!

AUNT ELLER: Give her a cake of soap.

LAUREY: Want things I've heard of and never had before-
a rubber-t'ard buggy, a cut-glass sugar bowl. Want things I can't
tell you about-not only things to look at and hold in yer hands.
Things to happen to you. Things so nice, if they ever did happen
to you, yer heart ud quit beatin'. You'd fall down dead!

Sat May 12, 2007 6:27 am

the speech is from "Green Grow the Lilacs" the play Oklahoma is based on.

Sat May 12, 2007 6:35 am
Profile WWW

I don't think it shows enough feeling to be an audition monologue.

Sat May 12, 2007 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]