Ado Annie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gertie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The directors will shaft me and stick me in Chorus 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1

I Just Auditioned for Ado Annie... 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I Just Auditioned for Ado Annie...
After much anxiety, I finally tried out for Oklahoma! (Ado Annie, actually). As for the whole audition process, erm...

Let's just say "meh." It was decent, I guess.

Wanna hear the story? Too bad--you're going to anyway.

So, first I was freaking out about what song to sing. My original selection was "Always True To You In My Fashion" from Kiss Me, Kate. Didn't work out that way, though. The very first person to go used the EXACT same song...(well she sang it all nasty/hookery/gross to the point where it sounded like a pompous striptease...not so great) so that meant that I had to pick another piece from my repertoire or risk being considered a total b**** for doing the song again. (Keep in mind this is a CHURCH show, so she AND JESUS would have hated me until the end of time...lol :) ). Instead I just sang my backup song, "You Can't Get a Man with a Gun" from Annie Get Your Gun. It was AMAZING...right up until the part where I forgot the words. Stumbling around (and doing some pretty darn good adlibbing in the process, dadgummit), I finally was able to end the song. (Hey, it got a lot of laughs...Maybe a good sign? Yeah, you're right, probably not...) Anyway, so I did a couple coldreads (once again, decent. One of the other girls who I'm up against had watched the movie like a gazillion times, and her acting was great--but her singing? Not so much. So I guess I'm confident in the vocal aspect? Whatev.) [Oh yeah and once I had to read for Laurey, but I think it was mostly because the directors needed to fill a random spot.] Then the director did callbacks...Even though we had never left...(Still, whatev.) Me and the two other Annies each had to sing "I Cain't Say No"--once together and once by ourselves. The first girl was pretty good, except her high notes switched into her head voice and it was REALLY obvious; the second was the girl I mentioned before...I think she had a cold or something? because it wasn't that great (oh and plus she mentioned that she had a cold to EVERYONE before she sang her song...big no-no); and then came me. I belted the whole thing (even the high notes at the end: I was so proud :D ) except it was a tad loud. Oh well. It was still something I never thought I could do without shattering glass. And it wasn't half bad...? lol

But here's the kicker. After I sang, the directors started talking (you know--the whispering, muttering-to-themselves kind of talking). Then they asked me to do a "loud, drawn-out, obnoxious laugh...kind of a buffaw." I was like, "Great, I'm gonna get Gertie." (Definitely not what I wanted AT ALL). But I tried anyway; don't think I didn't. And what came out? Think Cruella de Ville mixed with Wicked Witch of the West and a touch of dying Giraffe. Yeah, it was that bad. I haven't watched the movie in FOREVER, and I honestly have no idea what Gertie sounds like. Maybe this played to my advantage? Hopefully... [-o<

Wow. Sorry for the long note. But I just thought I'd share this little anecdote with all of you on MdN! Hope you liked it? Any thoughts on what part I'll get? They said they'd let us know by the middle of next week... :-k

Thu May 10, 2007 8:25 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
how old are you? is it a regional,community or school production? what is your previous experience,whats your body type? all of this will enter into my opinion.

Fri May 11, 2007 6:53 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

how old are you? is it a regional,community or school production? what is your previous experience,whats your body type? all of this will enter into my opinion.

Well, I'm 17, but most of the people considered for leads are in high school or college, plus it's a church production, so basically all of the people listed above are from the same limited talent pool. My body type: I'm about 5'5"ish, 140 pounds (one of the other girls that I mentioned earlier is the same as me and the one with the good acting but the bad song weighs about 250 lbs...idk, but they're all the same height as me).

Um, not really sure what else to say about body type, but as for previous experience, I've got a lot. Hannigan in Annie, The Witch in Into the Woods, Miss Watson in Big!, etc., plus various chorus roles (yecch, I know--Chorus...) in Mattress, Oliver!, and Miracle on 34th Street, just to name a few. No wait--I take that back...I was actually a workhouse boy/pickpocket in Oliver!, and the little girl who wants a doll in Miracle. Trivial I know, but it shows that I've been working with theatre from a very young age. The only bad thing that could possibly hurt my resume at this point is that I only get to do a show once or twice a year due to scheduling conflicts--with school and everything it's not really a big priority. Plus because all of my electives in school are filled, I don't really have time to take drama or acting classes in or outside of school, or vocal music for that matter, unlike the skinnier of the two girls that auditioned as well. But if she gets Laurey, that's fine with me. Because there's no doubt in my mind that she could, if she so pleased...lol

So, um, yeah. That's me in a nutshell. Sorry it kind of turned into some long-winded rant about life and the human condition and whatnot ( :) ), but whatev. Until next time...

Fri May 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
did you put all your acting experience on your resume or just the leads?

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Sat May 12, 2007 9:46 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sat May 12, 2007 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]