The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Any other main female singing roles?x? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Any other main female singing roles?x?
Hey ive been watching Oklahoma for years lol xx and my dream is to play Ado Annie !!! finnally my theatre group is doing that musical, and of course im going to audition for the part of Ado Annie, but if i dont get it i want to do another role, that gets to sing alone so thought id post this just incase i'd missed one i know about Laurie (but i do not want that part) Aunt Eller (but i am too young) i was thinking about Gerty but realised she misses out on a lot of the big Oklahoma numbers, if there is nothing else i will audition for a lead dancer, but thought i would ask you all first xx

Much Love xxxx

Confidence is Key! Confidence is what i need xx!

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Gertie does not sing any solos, and yeah she does miss out on most of the musical numbers. However your director could choose to put her in more of them. Many a New Day and Out of My Dreams are the only two that she's really inappropriate to be a part of.

There are a few of Laurey's friends that have small (one or two phrases each) solos in "Out of My Dreams", Kate, Ellen and Vivian. They each have a few lines. Ellen has the most lines, but I think she has less than 10 total.

Break a leg at your audition :)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:59 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Go for Laurey its a much meatier role than Annie.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Go for Laurey its a much meatier role than Annie.

Salome~ I've seen you post this is other threads so I just had to ask why you always tell people to go for Laurey even when they already say they don't want to play her? You obviously enjoyed playing the role, but any other reason? Just curious :)

Personally I think that Ado Annie would be a lot more fun to play. I've played the Laurey type of roles over the years and I am dying to play a role like Ado Annie!

I say go for whichever role/s you like. This show is a lot of fun even if you're only in the ensemble. I've played Kate (while u/s Laurey) in one production and was in the regular ensemble back in 8th grade and I had a blast both times.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:25 am

Easy...Laurey is tough, saavy,witty,clever and at the same time feminine..she has inner turmoil..her love for curley..her passion and fear for jud. she is a well develoiped 3 dimenional character...she also gets to sing Perople Will Say Were in Love..one of the greatrest ALmost love songs written.
Ado Annie is a stock character..some funny lines. a decently funny song..but no real development beyond comic relief.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I know Laurie is a good character, but i've always been more suited to characterised roles like Ado Annie and Galinda, other than the more serious type of characters like Laurie and people like that. Thankyou for all your opinions, i'll keep them in mind.

I'll definitley go for a lead dancer though if i do not get a lead role

xxx <3 thankyou xx

Confidence is Key! Confidence is what i need xx!

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Easy...Laurey is tough, saavy,witty,clever and at the same time feminine..she has inner turmoil..her love for curley..her passion and fear for jud. she is a well develoiped 3 dimenional character...she also gets to sing Perople Will Say Were in Love..one of the greatrest ALmost love songs written.
Ado Annie is a stock character..some funny lines. a decently funny song..but no real development beyond comic relief.

I agree with you..it puzzles me sometimes when I hear people say that Laurey is flat, boring, and no fun to play. There is so much to work with and I think she is very dimensional. She has great songs and there is also the ballet scene (if you don't have a stand in) which is just so expressive. You get to play opposite of Curly..another wonderful character and their relationship is more real and developed I think than a lot of other musicals (for instance a lot of love at first sight scenarios.) You also get the tension with Jud. I had a blast with this role. Ado Annie does seem like she would be fun though too, not as much depth though..but more comedy. I guess to each their own :)

Fri May 18, 2007 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]