The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Audition coming up 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Audition coming up
I'm going to be auditioning for Laurey in a little over a week and I was just wanting to see what people think of my song choices.

Show Me (My Fair Lady)
You'll Never Walk Alone (Carousel)
Many A New Day (Oklahoma!)

I'm a little nervous because most of the songs are know well are more mezzo, so I learned the first two songs, for this audition, about a week ago. Would it be better to just take the risk and sing MAND, since I know it so much better? I know that you aren't supposed to do a song from the show, but I'm waiting to hear back from the music director on whether or not it's OK. The MD doesn't know that I wanted to know, a friend of mine made the inquiry, so it wouldn't be like they told specifically me not to and the casting notice didn't say either way.

I used MAND last time I auditioned and I made the callbacks, but since it was my first CT audition ever I choked and lost out to a professional actress :(

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:17 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I can't speak for your particular casting director, but I would rather hear a song from the show I'm directing sung well than something else that sounds like you threw it together in a week or two. Go with what you are most comfortable with. That's always the best bet.

That said, you mentioned that most of the songs you know well are mezzo songs. Are you really a mezzo? Or did you just recently transition your voice from mezzo to soprano? If you are more comfortable singing in the mezzo range, you might be better off auditioning for Ado Annie instead of Laurey. Just something to think about ...

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
The mezzo range happens to be the range that a lot of the songs I like to sing are in. That's my belt range and I've always enjoyed singing in a lower range. However I started out as a legit soprano and still have the range (G3-C6). And it's pretty much perfect for singing R&H songs. I have the range for both Laurey and Annie, but my looks will keep me from getting Annie (too sweet and innocent, I've actually been called Sandra Dee, Heidi, et. al.).

My last vocal coach couldn't play piano so I always had to use tracks, which was fine when I could use tracks for auditions. But I can't use them this time. Unfortunately, I only know a few songs with the piano accompaniment, and I know even fewer that I also have sheet music for. Many A New Day is the best thing I have in this style and Laurey's range.
So that's why I'm in a pinch.

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]