The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
I got Jud!!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I got Jud!!!
Well,

I just found out today that I was casted as Jud Fry for my high schools production of Oklahoma!

I had a feeling that I would be getting this part because everyone told me that I would be good for the part and they couldn't see anyone else doing it. I'm very happy to be playing this part and I cant wait to get started. I have a few questions though. Now I know that Jud is a very sad, depressed, lonely, yet creepy character. I got all that down, but is there anything else I should know or any tips I could use?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:50 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Jud is a very disturbing character...borderline perv at best...He has the darkest song in the show, other than "Many a New Day" HAHAHA, which is called "Lonely Room." Think about a serial killer when you play him. What other shows have you done that I may be able to use to help you with Jud?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:00 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Chief Bromden in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Olin Britt in The Music Man
Thomas Danforth in The Crucible

Those are the only three shows ive done so far and now this one.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:05 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Congrates on a great role. I fear I won't be of any help with characterization. It's not a character I would generally have to think about, being a 21 year old female... But I will suggest watching the London DVD of the movie with Hugh Jackman, if you haven't already. It's a fabulous version and the guy who plays Jud is amazing. He won on Tony for the role on Broadway, if I have my facts straight.

"Love all. Trust few. Do wrong to no one."
-All''s Well That Ends Well

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:50 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
remeber..Jud is frightening but he is also a human being..his obsession with Laurey is very unhealthy..but he thinks he can convince her to love him. Laurey is very facinated and sexually aroused by Jud even though she finds him dangerous.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

- Zorba (Kander & Ebb)

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:03 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Jud
I've played Jud about 7 times, and I think the aim has to be: show more than just the sad/evil/pervy character - there has to be some pathos. If you perform Lonely Room properly, there should be no trouble in having the audience feel uncomfortably as if they have some sympathy for the character, despite his obvious flaws. He's a deeply lonely and bitter man, obsessed by someone he can't have, and used as a pawn by the two main characters as they move towards resolving their own relationship. The Smokehouse scene and the scene with Laury are pivotal.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:20 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Pay attention to the story he tells in the smoke house about murdering the couple in the other town. It isn't to be glossed over. That, and Lonely Room explain the character and offer insight into why he is the way he is. You need to get the audience to sympathize with you - to view you not only as a man who takes sick pleasure in murder and rape, but as a misunderstood character who was treated unfairly himself, and is almost childlike underneath the surface.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Laurey is very facinated and sexually aroused by Jud even though she finds him dangerous.

Possibly even because she finds him dangerous?

Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]