The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
A rumored Oklahoma audition... 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post A rumored Oklahoma audition...
I've heard very strong rumors that my college will be doing Oklahoma next year. It'll be my last year and my last musical and I really wanna prove to everyone that I can hold my own in a musical. Granted that if we even do this show, the auditions will be at the earliest late Sept 2007 and at the latest early-mid March 2008 so maybe I'm jumping the gun here a little. But I really wanna be prepared. I just want my chance. So I'm looking for any advice people can give me. I'm ultimately aiming for Laurie(singing and character-wise she is right up my alley), but I think I would have a lot of fun as Ado Annie (though she's not idle for my voice, her character is the corky comedy I'm pretty good at). Some things that might be helpful for advice: I'm a very strong actress who typically plays the ingénue (though at the time of this show I'll be 22 or 23, I can pull of 16 very easily). I'm a lyrical soprano with a very low range as well. I'm a fairly strong singer with a pretty voice, not an amazing powerhouse (in other words, I am not a belter). I'm a strong dancer and one of the few trained dancers at my college.
I'm looking for 16-bar (give or take a few) song suggestions, character help, advice for preparing, what was helpful to you in auditioning or playing one of the roles... whatever you're willing to offer me I'll will be truly grateful!
Thank you!

-Ali

"Love all. Trust few. Do wrong to no one."
-All''s Well That Ends Well

Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Good audition songs for Laurie would be: "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood" from "Camelot," "Think of Me" from Phantom (beware, this one is quite overdone, but it really shows of your high range if you sing the cadenza at the end) "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" from "Sweeney Todd," "I Could've Dance All Night" from "My Fair Lady"

if you want to audition with a song from the show, I would suggest "Many a New Day"

As for Ado Annie, good try-out songs would include: "Always True to you in my Fashion" from "Kiss me Kate," and "Adelaide's Lament," from "Guys and Dolls"

If you are a stronger soprano than an alto, I would suggest going for Laurie, especially if you can't belt

Good Luck!!

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]