The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
character of laurey 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post character of laurey
Hi everyone!

I am really curious about the character of Laurey. Why is she afraid to let Curly know how she feels, and why does she accept Jud's invitation? Should she be played like a classic perky, naive ingenue- or like more of a tomboy? What are everyone's overall thoughts on this character?

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:25 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Laurey is somewhere in between the classic ingenue and the tomboy. Think of her as the spirited girl next door. She's perfectly nice, yet stubborn and independant.

I guess, off the top of my head, you might be able to compare her with Belle from BATB. She doesn't want to be tied down, but she's a romantic at heart (whether or not she wants to admit it). Maybe that will help you with your acting decisions.

I'm probably rambling, but I hope this helps a bit...

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:19 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:26 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
no way is she liek Blle in Beauty and The Beast. She is a much tougher character than that. Laurey is very much a frontier version of Beatrice from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. witty,clever,tougy and headstrong.

She and Curley should have a great caustic banter. SLaurey is fearful of Jud Fry but also sexually excitec by him. there are alot of layers there.

check out Josephina Gabrielle in the London revival Dvd for a good basis of the role. she nails it.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I totally agree that Laurey is a cross between ingenue and tomboy but I think of her more as a tomboy who wants to be more of a classy ingenue type, if that makes sense. However, she's far from naive and she is very witty. I think she tries to be independent but she really is not. Her dependency for Aunt Eller and Curly really comes out at the end of the show. She is definitely stubborn. I hope that helps! =]

Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:29 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Yeah I have to agree with Salome and Broadway Baby; she's more spunky than the Belle-type (first thing that popped in my head!) ingenue, and she's a bit of a contradiction.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:19 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

laurey kinda reminds me of babe from the pajama game-- she ultimately wants love, but she's got a lot of grit to her

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:33 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I've seen a couple of posts on here where it's suggested that Laurey is sexually excited by Jud. I can't see that this is remotely true, she's actually deeply repelled by him, and her whole sexual focus is on Curley. I've played Jud several times, and the thing that strikes me is how callously Laurey uses Jud for the sole purpose of making Curley jealous (a classic sign that she really wants Curley). But she doesn't want to be left alone with Jud, and would rather be chaperoned by Eller even though she's chosen to accompany Jud to the Box Social. The treatment of Jud as a pawn in their love game by both Laurey and Curley (Curley's big thing with Jud is to try and incite him to suicide - niiiice) - this detracts (for me) from the sympathetic appeal of both main characters. Or am I just biased because I've been Jud so many times and feel some sympathy for him myself :wink:

Current role: Trevor Graydon in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:48 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Wicked
Main Role: Performer
When we did Oklahoma, summer of 2005, i played Laurey as a tomboy (couple pics - at the bottom). But at the same time, she is not as strong and independent as she would like others to believe.

She is scared of Jud, once she fully comes to realize how he feels and what his intentions are. She does use him to make Curly jealous. She is too stubborn to admit to her feelings to Curly. But then he has the same problem. They are both stubborn and they play off each other. They have to be playful but still show how stubborn they both are to admit the way they feel.

As far as their using Jud to get what they want, sure it can be seen as vile, how Laurey toys with his emotions and uses him to make Curly jealous, and Curly really tries to trick him into suicide. But that is why the character of Jud has to be portrayed just right, so that the audience does not feel pity for him. He really has to be shown to be villainous, maybe even a bit insane, because if the audience does start to sympathize with him it ruins the show. And the characters of Laurie and Curly are compromised. One of the few things i like about the old 1955 version is that they show Jud peeping in Laurey's window in one of the early scenes.

When Laurey uses Jud to make Curly jealous, i don't think she's really being evil about it, she doesn't do it with the intention of hurting Jud, but i don't think she fully understand how extreme his feelings for her are, and how controlling he can be, she doesn't realize that until later. It's really more the fact that she doesn't think of his feelings, not that she detests him enough to not care about hurting him. Though i agree that later in the show she does begin to despise him. And when she does agree to go with him, she is upset at Curly, she doesn't even give any thought to how it will affect Jud. She is hurt, and involved in her own feelings at that moment, and does it to make Curly jealous. It is only later that she realizes what she really agreed to, and later confesses some of her fear to Aunt Eller (who mostly just brushes them off).

I would agree, to watch the dvd of the London cast (Josefina Gabrielle as Laurey and Hugh Jackman as Curly) from what i recall (we watched it after our run two summers ago -- while the director liked how the characters were portrayed, he encouraged us to develop our own characters, so we didn't watch it until we were done with our show). They were a good example of how the characters can be played. (I know you just asked about Laurey, but i think that the characters, mostly these three, are dependent upon each other, they all have to be considered when you think of how the characters should be played.)... You can see some stuff about the London production here.

And i hope i helped.

*Edited cause i'm an anal-retentive perfectionist!*

Previously:
- The Beggar Woman in "Sweeney Todd"
- Carrie in "Carousel"

_____

http://youtube.com/kythca

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I too am playing Laurey as somewhat of a tomboy..but she has many layers and aspects to her. She puts on a front for others and even tries to fool herself..but this other side of her is sometimes revealed when she is not on her guard. For example when she is explaining "Course of want something..want a buckle made out of shiny silver to fasten onto my shoes. Want a dres with lace. Want perfume, wanna be pretty, wanna smell like a honeysuckle vine. Want things I heared of and never had before. A rubber t'ard buggy, a cutglass sugar bowl. Want things I..cain't tell you about. Not only things to look at and hold in your hands, but things to happen to you. Things so nice, why if they did ever happen, you're heart 'ud quit beatin. You'd fall down daid." She works up an ecstasy and reveals how she really feels. She has some deep feelings and emotions going on in there. But she wants to be seen as independent and that she doesn't have to rely on the idea that everyone has about her and Curly. That she can find another man. And she definitely doesn't want to be the first to admit that she has feelings for him. She won't even admit it to herself. But you see her slip throughout the show..right from the beginning with Surrey. Even in the reprise of People Will Say We're In Love, she won't come right out and admit it at first. When he asks to marry her she says "Gracious, what I wanna marry you fer" and that she can't thinkf of a reason to marry him. she is strong-willed but her feelings eventually overcome her stubborness. Acting girly with this role would maybe show more of a sign of weakness...and I think that's why Laurey isn't like other girls. But there is that girly part of her burried deep down. But just because she doesn't act girly doesn't mean she isn't femine..she still is attractive and I think that's part of what catches Curly's eye. She is not like most other girls, she is different and exciting.

Our first show starts next Thursday! Here's a pic from rehearsal in my overalls :)

Image[/img]

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]