The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Just cast as Laurey! 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Just cast as Laurey!
I was just cast as Laurey in Oklahoma, and I'm really excited! I've heard a lot about making laurey spunkier than in the movie, etc. etc. Right now I'm leaning towards the very sweet/young & naive(but smart too!)/with a little spunk version of Laurey. If anyone has any really good indepth tips on her character or songs or anything they would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hearts,
Choochoo

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:49 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

congrats! i would love to play laurey someday. oklahoma! has been a musical that ive watched ever since i was a kid, because my mom was watching it when she went into labor with me :) so we watch it every year at my birthday. so ya know, its one id die to be in :)

well, good luck!!!

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
P me. Ivep layed laurey twice. she is FAR from niave. she is witty,clever and strong. if you play her niave you are doing the role and the character a grave injustice.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Post Just cast as laurey!
Wow that's great! congrats :D break a leg! I think you should play her as spunky and then maybe a little more uncertain towards the middle of the play when she realizes her feeling for Curly. I agree with Salome though, Laurey isn't really naive, that's just how Shirley Jones played it. I love the version where she is in overalls in the begining, until the social :)

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Congrats! Oklahoma is an amazing show! In my opinion Laurie should be very sweet, lovable, and have a very strong head on her shoulders and isn't afraid to let Curly know how she feels...but not in a very mean way. When Jud comes along...thats where she loses her strongness and becomes scared and weak. don't over show this...but when Jud and Laurie have the conversation when she fires him and Curly comes on...don't be afraid to be weakness and show the audience that you're timid and scared.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:20 am

Congrats! Oklahoma is an amazing show! In my opinion Laurie should be very sweet, lovable, and have a very strong head on her shoulders and isn't afraid to let Curly know how she feels...but not in a very mean way. When Jud comes along...thats where she loses her strongness and becomes scared and weak. don't over show this...but when Jud and Laurie have the conversation when she fires him and Curly comes on...don't be afraid to be weakness and show the audience that you're timid and scared.

Lauries weakness toward jud isnt fear its sexual..she is in lust with a man she fears. and in that conmfrontation scne..its hard not to feel weak when he tries to rape her asnd then he punches her. so his actions will obviously help.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thanks so much to everyone!! These comments are really helping!!...Okay...got three more questions- 1. In the beginning it's kind of strange because she flips from being angry with Curly to showing how she is definitely falling for him in a very short amount of time...(During surrey and that whole first scene)...Anybody got any suggestions as to how to make these transitions smoother than just "I'm soooo angry at you...oh that was nice okay now I kind of like you".

2. What does "Ado" mean in Ado Annie's name? Just curious.

3. When Laurie is talking to aunt eller about how she doesn't want to go with jud to the party dance thing or whatever when she says "I hook my door at night and fasten my winders agin it...agin it. And the sound of feet..."....what does she mean but "agin it...agin it"...is she saying again or against?? I'm a little confused about that.

Thanks again to all!!!

<3 Choochoo

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:07 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

oh yea, and jud tries to rape her in that scene??!!? I'll have to look that scene over again...I thought he was just scaring her and threatening her if she were to leave him??? I'll go back and read it again. lol!

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:16 pm

well the way the scne is usually played.. he grabs her kisses her and tries to tear her dress off. she resists..either lsaps him or spits at him..he hauls off and hits her. then says thel ine about..."you tihnk your such a fine lady!" etc..

agin does mean against. i cut the second "agin it".

and most important...Laurey and Curley hsould be played like Benedick and Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing. very much ewuals in the wit and smarminess catagories. they refuse to admit they are i nlove becuase the other one wont give in first. too proud to admit they want the othero ne. so their battles are verbal witty moments.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

wow good job thats super exciting, Laurey is one of my dream roles! Break A Leg!

Current roles- The Music Man (Zaneeta Shinn) & Parade (Mary Phagen)

musicals only
Previous roles- The Jungle Book (Baby Monkey)
The Beauty and the Beast (feather duster)
The Wizard of Oz (Lacreecia the Witch)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Princess Starlight)
Peter Pan (Liza)
R&H's Cinderella (Rose the citizen)
The Secret Garden (chours)
The Sound of Music (Elsa Shrader)
Mamma Mia (Rosie)
Wicked (chours)

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]