The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Fun or Boring? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Fun or Boring?
I'm going to be in this show early next year - the show is in March. It's an all-teen cast and I'm basically about the median age. While I love the role of Ado Annie, I am now wondering if this show is really fit for me. Some friends of mine were in it before and said it was the most boring show they have ever been in. One of them was even Laurey! One friend told me it was fun...she played Gertie. But I'm not sure it sounds a bit boring, someone want to convince me to or not to??

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:54 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Ado Annie is fun part in this show. It depends on the way the show is directed. I saw it at a local school and really enjoyed it. I didn't think it was boring at all. Then I saw it at another local school but it was really boring. And it wasn't because I already saw it. So it depends. If done right, it is a fun show.

Ellen

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That's a pretty vague question... I mean, "boring" is in the eye of the beholder. Some people find the more classical musicals to be boring, others thing that they're classics for a reason. Personally, Oklahoma! is okay by me, though not one of my favorites by any stretch of the imagination. The storyline with the leads (Curly and Laurey) does tend to get a little dull, in my opinion, but the secondary storyline with Ado Annie, Ali Hakim, and Will is very funny. And the music is pretty decent, too. It drags a bit around the dream ballet, but it's a cute story. And yeah, it's a classic, so in some ways ya just have to love it. :D

Ps. Sorry if I seemed to contradict myself--I still think "boring" is in the eye of the beholder, but I wanted to give my opinion.

:mrgreen:

Last edited by norayouadora on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

My daughter did the show last year with a youth theater. She had the same concerns - that it would be boring. She played Ado Annie and had a ball.

Since there aren't a whole lot of "parts", the director has to make sure there is a lot for the ensemble to do. I think having a good choreographer really helps, the dancing can make the show, and its certainly more fun for the ensemble if there is good challenging dancing for them. Will's tap number, the dream sequences, Farmer and the Cowman can all be challenging and entertaining with good direction.

The whole show is certainly corny, but if you have fun with that and try to get into the corniness, you'll enjoy it more.

Overall, its not my favorite show, but it was a good experience for my daughter.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:28 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

My daughter did the show last year with a youth theater. She had the same concerns - that it would be boring. She played Ado Annie and had a ball.

Since there aren't a whole lot of "parts", the director has to make sure there is a lot for the ensemble to do. I think having a good choreographer really helps, the dancing can make the show, and its certainly more fun for the ensemble if there is good challenging dancing for them. Will's tap number, the dream sequences, Farmer and the Cowman can all be challenging and entertaining with good direction.

The whole show is certainly corny, but if you have fun with that and try to get into the corniness, you'll enjoy it more.

Overall, its not my favorite show, but it was a good experience for my daughter.

Just wondering if you saw the production with Hugh Jackman (Australian Cast?) that they play on PBS from time to time...You may change your tune about the whole show being "corny". R&H shows are a lot deeper than a lot of people give them credit for.

I don't think the whole show corny at all. It all depends on how it is directed and the quality of the actors involved. Please see the version I mentioned above (you can get it on DVD) if you haven't already.

I think it's important for anyone doing "Oklahoma" to see this version. It is absolutely brilliant! I think people mistake it for being a "corny" musical on the whole because they have seen/grown up with the Shirley Jones version. (She ruined Carousel, too!)

Granted, it's not super-deep like a lot of Sondheim musicals, but there is a lot of depth to R&H's work.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:40 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

The thing I love about it is that it has a little bit of everything. Curly and Laurey and fairly boring leads. Jud is the very troubled, very emotional part. Aunt Eller always brings the energy on when a scene lacks it. Ado Annie, Ali Hakim, Will Parker, and to an extent Andrew Carnes all bring a lot of comedy and make for a great backstory. The music is also great and leaves the choreographer a lot of room to do whatever. They also started a tradition of a "dream ballet".

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:18 pm

The thing I love about it is that it has a little bit of everything. Curly and Laurey and fairly boring leads. Jud is the very troubled, very emotional part. Aunt Eller always brings the energy on when a scene lacks it. Ado Annie, Ali Hakim, Will Parker, and to an extent Andrew Carnes all bring a lot of comedy and make for a great backstory. The music is also great and leaves the choreographer a lot of room to do whatever. They also started a tradition of a "dream ballet".

Curly and Laurey are only boring if the actors/director are bad. Actually, Laurey is interesting because she is the middle of this strange love triangle where she's attracted to Judd Fry AND Curly for VERY different reasons! And Judd is an extremely interesting character as well! (If you've seen Schuler Hensley do it...WOW!) She is very torn between the two men emotionally. She is a stronger character than a lot of leading lady characters.

Curly is an interesting character because he provides an opposite to Judd Fry. He's very sure of himself and VERY charismatic. He too has insecurities, but the way he displays them is interesting and often overlooked by many actors.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Curly and Laurey are only boring if the actors/director are bad. Actually, Laurey is interesting because she is the middle of this strange love triangle where she's attracted to Judd Fry AND Curly for VERY different reasons! And Judd is an extremely interesting character as well! (If you've seen Schuler Hensley do it...WOW!) She is very torn between the two men emotionally. She is a stronger character than a lot of leading lady characters.

Curly is an interesting character because he provides an opposite to Judd Fry. He's very sure of himself and VERY charismatic. He too has insecurities, but the way he displays them is interesting and often overlooked by many actors.

I guess I can see what you're saying... But I can't say I agree. I suppose with an especially gifted director, Curly and Laurey could seem a little less boring--but I wouldn't ever describe them as "interesting." Laurey, especially. She can't seem to do anything without a man behind her. The whole idea she's trying to sell in "Many a New Day" is only to support a song because the audience knows (as does she) that she is lying through her teeth. Naturally, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. From my experience with this show, however, I haven't found Laurey and Curly to be very likeable characters at all. :?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:29 pm
Profile WWW

jazzygirlsings wrote:

I guess I can see what you're saying... But I can't say I agree. I suppose with an especially gifted director, Curly and Laurey could seem a little less boring--but I wouldn't ever describe them as "interesting." Laurey, especially. She can't seem to do anything without a man behind her. The whole idea she's trying to sell in "Many a New Day" is only to support a song because the audience knows (as does she) that she is lying through her teeth. Naturally, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. From my experience with this show, however, I haven't found Laurey and Curly to be very likeable characters at all. :?

I'm begging you, if you haven't already, to see the Australian Cast of Oklahoma...you will see all the nuances and the way it really should be played. I think it would give you a whole new perspective on these characters.

A character's only boring if you believe it to be that way. With enough research and effort, you can find the interesting aspects of just about any character. It is not the worst book to a musical I have seen. There is a lot of stuff for the characters to work with!

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:40 pm

Main Role: Performer
there is nothing boring about laurie and curley..they aret he beatrice and benedick of the frontier..witty,clever,strong people in love but unwilling to give in.

Laurie is one of the best roles I have everp layed in a musical. there is alot of depth to that role.

Ado Annie is actualy the only role I dislike..she is a caracature compared to the rest of the characters.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^Hey, like I said, everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion. I'm not going to say that either of you are wrong, so don't say that I'm wrong, either. We just disagree. But at any rate, the point of this thread is to assess whether or not the show is boring, right? So at least we all seem to be in agreement that it isn't. :D

Oh, and jazzygirlsings, I wouldn't mind seeing the Australian cast, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting any opportunity to do so. I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. :-k Lol.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

For me, it was an adult amateur production...And I couldn't stand it! I had to eventually leave because of the director being a complete _ _ _ _ _ _ to me and also because of school. Don't let me put you off. Besides if you have a part, think yourself lucky! :D

Although if I had to list the members of this forum whose sense of self-worth seems alarmingly dependent upon the constant sycophantic support of internet-based friends, I`d certainly run out of fingers. - Mumsytype

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next