The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
I Cain't Say No--staging and gestures? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I Cain't Say No--staging and gestures?
Hi there, I am using " I Cain't Say No" as an audition song tomorrow for " Into the Woods". I just was wondering if anyone who has done or seen this staged has any suggestions on funny staging, expressions, gestures etc...that I can add in, because one of my tactics here is to make people laugh.
I tend to be known more an an " opera singer" by this particular director due to what she has seen me do in the past, so my intent is to walk in and do something completely different then what will be expected. I chose this piece because I can use a bright girly character voice similar to that needed for Little Red, and due to the comic/ silly edge to it....want to show I am not just high notes and a walking vibrato.
I have a very expressionate doll-face with over-sized eyes, so I will be doing a lot of cutsey expressions, and also sneeking in a high-pitched giggle in a couple places.....just was feeling it could use a little something more if I want to get the other auditionees and production crew snickering. I will be very grateful for any suggestions. " Oklahoma!" was actually my first ever production waaaaaay back when I was 14, but oh, 16 years have passed and about fifty other productions...so I have no memory of the staging they used for Ado Annie, lol. I have sung some of Laurie's music in the past for things, but this is a first for this piece.
Thanks again :)
~ Del

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]