The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
HELP! Audition song for waaay different sounds 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post HELP! Audition song for waaay different sounds
OK, so I'm auditioning for Oklahoma next weekend, and I'm stumped. I'd love to play either Laurie or Ado Annie, but the problem is that they both sound so different. If I do a pretty soprano type song (most likely something from "The Music Man,") I doubt they'll consider me for Ado Annie. If I focus more toward Ado Annie by doing a song like "Shy," I don't show that I can do the soprano sound needed for Laurie. What do I do? Anyone have any suggestions for a good song that'll give the "Oklahoma" style but will work for both?
By the way, I'm a very tall (5'10") thin redhead whose voice has been compared to Kerry Butler or Jodie Benson. I usually play character parts due to the height thing (not a lot of tall male leads!), but I'd like at least a callback for the ingenue role for once. Do you think I'd be better off focusing on playing Ado Annie instead?

Wed May 03, 2006 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would say pick either Laurey or Ado Annie. The two are so different - I mean one's a soprano (Laurey hits a high A) and one's an alto. One's dramatic and one's a comedian. Pick which one you like better and think you can play better, and try out for her. I don't think it's wise to try out for both.
But if you still want to try out for both, why not try something with both soprano and alto parts in it? You know, two people singing, one soprano and one alto. Then you could switch between parts. I'm not that farmiliar with Music Man, but isn't there one song where the lead female sings a song with her piano student? Maybe that one would be good, except the piano student doesn't really sound like Ado Annie.
As for height, that would be a problem with both characters. Laurey has two scenes with Curly where she rests her head against his shoulder. Ado Annie at one point is lifted up and swung around by Will. So I'm not sure about that.
Good luck ducks! Tell me if you get it, I'll be on edge until then!

Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Yay!
So I decided late last night to go for my strengths and sing an uptempo number, and ended up singing "I Enjoy Being a Girl." Guess it worked, cuz I got called back for Ado Annie! Yay! It was sooo much fun reading with an accent! Our groups were split up, so I really don't have an idea of who they're considering for will. I just hope they've got some tall ones! I go back on Tuesday night, so I'll let y'all know how it went.

Sat May 13, 2006 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]