The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
I CAINT SAY NO - HELP 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post I CAINT SAY NO - HELP
Im singing I CAINT SAY NO for an audition for GUYS AND DOLLS but im finding one of the notes really hard to push out. its the one that goes HOW CAN I BE WHAT I AINT I CANT SAY NO towards the end of verse one, and again at last verse. its the CAINT thats hard to squeeze out, any one else find this.....any pointers?

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:07 am

Don't squeeze it out, you'll need to change the vowell slightly. Each person is different but try the word 'care' and the stick the 'nt' on the end to make it into cain't. Just try different souds until you find the best one that least you be more open and it wont squeeze.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:36 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I'm having the same problem! I got called back for the part of Ado Annie, and the range the song's in is a bit too high at the end for me to belt out. I have to jump into my head voice, and it's sounding too pretty. Does anyone have any advice on how to seamlessly blend from the chest tone to the head tone without an obvious break?

Mon May 15, 2006 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

You do realize that Ado Annie is like the compleate character part and probably isnt looked at as the best singer(though she can be) Her "I Cant Say No" is just supposed to be sold to the audience. You may want to talk to the director but our director told our Ado Annie that to splatter any notes that were to high for her to the back of the auditorium. Because they song is basically saying "Im a slut lets go roll around in the haystack" not "Look at my pretty voice". But yet people should somewhat feel sorry for Ado. Well this is just what our director told our Ado and the audience loved her. But if your director dosnt want you to splatter the not then dont and i guess make it look pretty. And JUST HAVE FUN WITH THE SONG. Well this is just what i think and i hope you get it and i hope i helped you.

BREAK A LEG!

Wed May 17, 2006 3:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I have the same problem. I'm going to try out for that part in September. I found if I do that last part "I can't be prissy and quaint, how can I be wut I aint, I can't say no" a tad lower it's just high enough for no one to notice, but not so high that you have to squeeze it out.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
Post I CAINT SAY NO- HELP
first of all..don't EVER try to PUSH anything out...it's not good for your voice. I used to do that (try to push notes out) but I am getting a lot better at using proper technique, with the occasional belt just for fun. if you are having trouble with a note..lighten up the vowel and use more breath support. Also maybe work with a voice or choir teacher if you can, it helps A LOT! It really pays off..I've been taking voice for 5 years and have really improved. 8)

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

In the recording of the london cast she speaks "Then when I want to I cain't" right before "I caaaaiiiiin''ttttt saaayyyy no"...so if you really had a problem with it then overcome it with your acting "(Sung) I cain't be prissy and quain't (Spoken) How can I be what I ain't! (Sung) I can't say no"....

It could end up being very cute!

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:19 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

My singing teacher told me to use your pelvic floor muscles to push up your diaphragm and to get those notes out, it really works and gives you that extra oomph! although it is very tiring!! good luck!

Previous Roles: Kate, Oklahoma, Joice Heth, Barnum, Hot Box Girl; Guys and Dolls, Hope Harcourt; Anything Goes, Phyllis; 42nd Street, Maureen; Honk!.

Upcoming Shows: Fame

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

When I played this role, I used my high soprano registered to hit the note, and it was sort of operatic. Sounds funny, but it worked!

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:20 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Listen to Celeste Holm the original Annie..she isnt that great a singer..but no one has come close ot her rendition of the number..she doesnt quite hit those notes but she makes it memeorable. there is a great video of her perorming the song on a dvd of Ed Sullivan moments from the 1950s. check it out.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]