The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
HELP on oklahoma auditions 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post HELP on oklahoma auditions
im audition for oklahoma this weekend but ive never seen it and dont know who to audition for

im a boy, im 17 and a good tenor singer (i think) my range goes up to about a G.

anyway, im definitely in the cast which is great- but i have to go this weekend and audition for a male part. i dont really think i have what it takes to be the lead- im 5"5 which is relatively short and although ive never seen oklahoma it would appear that the leads have to be somewhat burly? lol, i would like a big singing part but are there any parts u think i could do? maybe more minor principle roles?

any help would be great thanks u big bunch of babes!

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I have only been to one audition where the director specifically told us that he needed the physical traits written for the character and that was because it was specifically talked about in the play multiple times. I've never read an Oklahoma description saying that. The last production I saw their Curly was very skinny for example. So I wouldn't let that count you out for anything. There are minor roles such as Ike Skidmore and Cord Elam who are baritones and have small singing parts.

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:28 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

oh yeah i know but i mean if i am going for the lead male they will need a lead female who is shorter and its all about looking right isnt it..

thanks for the tip though :-)

Edwin- Edwin

PAST ROLES:
Charlie- Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Michael- Peter Pan
Dodger- Oliver!
Bobby- The Visit

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:13 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

What are your acting skills like? Our Ali Hakim was 5ft 3 and Jud Fry was 5ft 5 ish I'd say.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

i have been tipped off that will is a good part...im thinking of going for him- ali hakim i heard of...is he the pedlar? i would go for him but i would like a larger singing part and i hear he doesnt sing too much?

oh well i dont know for sure- but anyway i will be greatful if i get anything! :-)

Edwin- Edwin

PAST ROLES:
Charlie- Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Michael- Peter Pan
Dodger- Oliver!
Bobby- The Visit

Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:53 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Oklahoma auditions
If you want a male part that does a lot of singing, the only one is the lead, Curly. He sings solo or duet in 4 songs. It's a tenor role and generally only goes up to about an F. The original Curly was a big strapping cowboy, but I've played Curly and I'm 5'9" and weigh 165. If you have a big voice and have a confident, easy presence onstage, that's more important than how you look. As far as other parts, I actually find some of the supporting roles more interesting. Ali Hakim the peddler is a very funny role, and the role of Jud is a smaller part, but a very challenging one, since he is a very conflicted personality. Good luck!

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:05 pm

When I did the show in 1992 our Curly was only about 5 foot 6.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:00 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]