The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Oklahoma Ballet????? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Oklahoma Ballet?????
Okay... so I was just thrown into doing Oklahoma at this opera house... and um... they say there is a ballet in the show... so I'm playing ballet Jud. What song is the ballet? and whats it like? haha does anyone know? thanks alot!
~moi

Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:30 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The ballet is actually Laurey's dream. There are a number of parts to it, she dreams she marries Curly, but Jud comes and beats Curly up and carries her offstage.

Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:50 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In her dream, she and Curley are about to get married when Jud comes in; he and Curley fight and Curley gets stabbed (dies maybe?); later at the actual wedding the same thing starts to happen, but Jud gets stabbed instead

Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:37 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

thanks a lot... tres kewl... I was just wondering what I was going to do in this ballet thing :)
Love,
moi

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:15 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Our community theatre is about to do OK!. Sometimes we cut some things. Most of us don't know ballet, so, maybe, is it possible to do OK! without the ballet? I'm not sure if we could present it with a different type of dance.

Coming up: Nothing I''m auditioning for.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't know what other productions have done, but when my school did the show it wasn't really a ballet. Of course, we still called it the "Dream Ballet" but it was more of a mix of several different kind of dancing, with smaller groups of people dancing in some parts, and other parts being silently acted out to the music. I think it would be a shame to cut it... It's kind of boring and confusing, but it's a good chance to show off your best dancers if you have any. Plus it sort of contributes to the story, and I'm generally against cutting things out of a show anyways. I'd say give it a try and see what you can come up with. :D

:mrgreen:

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Wicked
Main Role: Performer
In the production i was in we did the "dream ballet" and some of it was ballet, there was some other dance involved (partner dance, can-can, ect), but for the most part it was choreographed moves. In our production we didn't use different actors/dancers for this part, those of us who played the characters continued to play them in the dream scene. It was interesting since i hadn't done any kind of dance in years, and that was limited to ballet and jazz and a little tap, but no partner dancing. And playing Laurey i was thrown into these dance numbers where i had to do lifts with Curley and Jud literally threw me around as we danced. It was interesting. But fun.

Anyway, the way it is done, or if it is even done, probably varies from production to production. You could always watch one of the versions on dvd/video to see what what the main ideas are and what events take place in the dream ballet.

It's funny this was brought up cause i was just wondering today for some odd reason how common it is for there not to be a "dream" Laurey, Curley and Jud cast for the Dream Ballet.

Previously:
- The Beggar Woman in "Sweeney Todd"
- Carrie in "Carousel"

_____

http://youtube.com/kythca

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It's funny this was brought up cause i was just wondering today for some odd reason how common it is for there not to be a "dream" Laurey, Curley and Jud cast for the Dream Ballet.

I've done Oklahoma four times, and only once did they use the leads for the dream ballet. I think it's because you usually get fantastic singers for those parts, but you need fantastic dancers for the dream ballet. If you luck into getting people who are both fantastic singers and fantastic dancers, then it's possible to do the dream ballet with the same cast members.

Of course at the school and community level, the director often wants to use more cast members, and traditional (seperate) casting of the leads and dream ballet characters allow more people to participate.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:28 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

My sister played Dream Laurey a few years ago (and Louise in Carousel). When she did Oklahoma, it was very close to the film's choreography, yet simple enough for middle schoolers (of course, for a girl who had been dancing since preschool, she had 6-7 years of ballet and jazz).

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I love the dream ballet in this show and feel it is pretty vital to the storyline. By no means do I think it should be cut..you don't need amazing dancers to pull it off. It doesn't even have to be "ballet". It's more like..interperative dance. Watch the London cast version, it's amazing. And yes, the dancing in that version is amazing, but a lot of those things can be simplified to easier dance moves and still be effective. I'm in a production right now (tomorrow is opening night!) and I choreographed the ballet..a lot of it is acting out the main points that the ballet is supposed to get across to the audience. The scene is important because it shows the audience just how real Laurey's fear of Jud is..and also shows her deepest feelings that she won't even admit to herself, yet alone show outwardly (such as her love for Curly). In our production, Laurey and Curly share a romantic dance with a few simple yet effective lifts incorporated. I am playing Laurey and am by no means a dancer, but we still are pulling them off nicely. There is also a can-can sequence which shows what Laurey thinks of Jud and what kind of man she thinks he is because of the pictures of these girls on his wall. We didn't use any "dream" characters, we used all of the real actors for the characters. I think it is much more effective that way because the audience has a deeper connection to what is going on..they have already become attached to these people as these characters and it's much more meaningful. Random thoughts, I know.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:32 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

what characters are needed in the dream ballet ?
in the original choreography
and also, who gets the final bow ?

Wed May 23, 2007 7:34 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

just wondering
what characters are needed in the dream ballet ?
in the original choreography
and also, who gets the final bow ?

In the dream ballet traditionally there is Laurey Curly and Judd, ensemble girls and ensemble guys and depending on the production the other principle roles (such as Annie as the bride's maid, but usually she won't dance or anything just come on for the wedding part if she is actually in it.)

The last bow is generally Laurey or Curly depending on who is the bigger name/most experience/or just general view of the director on bows. In my production Will came out and bowed then held out his hand for Annie to come out and she bowed, then the two stepped aside. Then curly came out and bowed and then held out hishand for me to come out to bow, I bowed, and then we bowed together.

Sat May 26, 2007 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next