The Resource For Musicals

My Fair Lady Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Character Discussion: Freddy Eynsford-Hill 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Character Discussion: Freddy Eynsford-Hill
From what I've read on MdN, the general opinion on Freddy seems to be 'stalker'. I hope I've been reading the wrong threads, because I happen to love Freddy. I find it very endearing that he's that in love with someone that his only joy is to be on Eliza's street of residence. Not only that, but that he feels no remorse about what other passers-by might think. So let's ge it all out in the open; what does everyone think of Freddy?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:45 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

He is my least favorite character of all time. I understand the need for the contrast between Higgins and Freddy, but man, if I was Eliza, I'd rip into him a lot sooner for just constantly hanging around outside her door. Who wants someone with no life?

When I teach Pygmalion, we watch parts of MFL in class, and I have to fast forward through "On the Street Where You Live" and the bits leading up to it to keep my students from laughing out loud. Freddy's a bit useless, I think.

Of course if you've read the epilogue to Pygmalion, it's all the worse.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
as poor a character as Freddy is... Street Where You Live is easily one of the greatest songs of all time. too bad its sung by a wet towel.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
I'm one of the few people who actually like Mr. Eynsford-Hill. As Dawn said, he gets a terrific song, and as far as "mangenues" go, there are worse, although a lot of them are indeed "stalkers," including Marius and Anthony Hope.

The difference between Freddy and the others is...he looks especially bad in his show. Henry Higgins is such a tour-de-force role, and so he looks even more inadequate as a character.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:03 pm

not only the Higgins character, which dominates My Fair Lady..but the great supporting parts of ALfie Doolittle and Col. Pickering. hell..even Karparty's one scene appearace is more nuanced thna Freddy.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Rodgers and Hammerstein/Hart, ALW, Jerry Herman
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Character Discussion: Freddy Eynsford-Hill
Great song, lousy character. But he's just an incurable romantic - and these days we don't accept that kind of behaviour as normal. In those days men still opened doors, lifted their hats to a lady, bought her flowers, and were chivalrous gentlemen. Perhaps Freddy didn't look as wet by those standards as he does by ours?

I still think she is right to go back to her place with Higgins though.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Eliza was just using Freddy to get back at Higgins; he was too much of a twit to realize it. His mother was a Grade A snob; at the beginning, when Freddy knocked over Eliza's flowers and she complained to his mother about it, Mrs. Eynsford-Hill said coldly: "Go on about your business!" Later, when they met at Ascot, neither Mrs. E nor Freddy gave any sign of recognizing Eliza from her past life. I once speculated on how Alfred P. Doolittle would accept Freddy as a son-in-law, the consensus was they would have got on famously.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Rodgers and Hammerstein/Hart, ALW, Jerry Herman
Main Role: Fan
No, being of a different class they (Freddy and mother) wouldn't have recognized Eliza as the flower girl of Covent Garden; they would have instantly forgotten her. Agree that Eliza was using him and he was too dumb to see it - but I can see that it was still possible that she would have married him had there been no alternative.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Little Shop of Horrors
I absolutely hate this character...I find him annoying and one of the only bad parts of one of my favorite musicals. I may be one of the few who doesn't like On The Street...I just find the whole thing annoying, and admit to fast forwarding through that scene occasionally...

~blondes belong on Broadway~

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]