Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
what's your fave MFL record 

What is your favorite MFL recording?
London original cast recording 100%  100%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 10

what's your fave MFL record 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I have the 1994 limited gold edition, which ends with a post-recording conversation about making the album. The participants were Goddard Lieberson, Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews (the only one still alive), Franz Allers, and Alan Jay Lerner. Goddard Lieberson convinced Columbia Records to sponsor the OBC production to the tune of about $400,000.00 - a lot of money even in the mid-1950s, and an investment they recouped at least 100 times over on the album.

That's the one I want to get (!!)--- just for the conversation..I know it's a bit fanatical of me!! :lol: I found out about it while searching BMG's catalog. I hadn't realized it was a limited edition though...the site didn't go into a lot of details although there was a tracklisting. There's a track called 'Playback' after the conversation track. Is that in the 1994 album as well? The release year for the one I found is listed as 2002 though..perhaps it was re-released.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I like the soundtrack recording the best of all, because for the price of 1, you get 2 Eliza Dolittles: Marni Nixon and some Audrey Hepburn!! It took Julie Andrews 2 tries to get it right, whereas Audrey was helped by Marni and they got it in ONE TAKE!!! So you can't go wrong with that.

[Of course, I'm kidding above.} My choice, seriously this time, is the London recording.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:06 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

HEY HEY! DONT RAG ON JULIE! :evil: WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??? I love audrey too but come on, give credit where credit is due dude! :x
Thank you! :D

(sorry :oops: )

~*~ ROCK ON ~*~

take extra care with strangers even flowers have their dangers, and though scary is exciting nice is different than good! "I AM SALLY BRWON!"Your a goodman Charlie brown rocks! ITW rocks! My fair lady rocks! EVERYTHING ROCKS! its the last midnight.....

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:27 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

(well not really but :wink: jk jk)

I've never herd the London recording... Who's in it? :roll:

Thanks

~*~ Rock on ~*~

take extra care with strangers even flowers have their dangers, and though scary is exciting nice is different than good! "I AM SALLY BRWON!"Your a goodman Charlie brown rocks! ITW rocks! My fair lady rocks! EVERYTHING ROCKS! its the last midnight.....

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:29 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Way to go Miss Sally Brown! I was going to defend Julie but then I thought well, maybe he/she's not ragging on her...bec after all Gunga did choose the London recording. Now I wonder.... Anyway, I don't think Julie needed two tries -- she was honored with the role twice!! Both times she performed superbly. I have the recordings to prove and its because of her I can no longer enjoy the movie, no offense to Marni, but after Julie, no one sounds right singing Eliza imo! Well, that's enough raving for now, I think!! :)

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:45 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

That's the one I want to get (!!)--- just for the conversation..I know it's a bit fanatical of me!! :lol: I found out about it while searching BMG's catalog. I hadn't realized it was a limited edition though...the site didn't go into a lot of details although there was a tracklisting. There's a track called 'Playback' after the conversation track. Is that in the 1994 album as well? The release year for the one I found is listed as 2002 though..perhaps it was re-released.

You would have to search Sony's catalogue (Sony bought Columbia Records in 1988). Here's what I came up with: http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=6511 This must be an updated edition; mine (Sony Classical SK66128) doesn't have the L&L Playback.

Last edited by Mark Walton on Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:26 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks for the link. :) Sony does not ship internationally though and Amazon.com does and they've got it with the playback.
My Fair Lady - with 2 bonus tracks

Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Rather random: Does anyone else hear Julie Andrews say something about an orange at the end of the post recording conversation? Or am I just insane like that?

For authority on female aggrandisement, consult the FBI Ten Most Wanted List.

Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

2.OLC
3. RNT 2001 production
4. 1976 revival (Out of Print) because I like George Rose

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:38 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I actually love the Original London Cast Recording soundtrack more than any other soundtrack of My Fair Lady. I guess I just like more tracks on the London Cast Recording soundtrack than the others. I can listen to most of it without skipping more than 3 tracks. What's your favorite track within this soundtrack?

My Fair Lady - Original London Cast Recording
http://www.napster.com/player/album/12091941

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:18 pm

My father saw the OLC in London, and was so taken with the show that, when he got home to NY, he took my mother, my grandparents, and me (age 7) to see the OBC production.

I can listen to the whole OLC recording without skipping anything; it's my favorite version of all time, because it's pretty much definitive. Dad's favorite song was 'With a Little Bit of Luck', and he used to imitate the way Stanley Holloway would hitch up his trousers at the knee and do a little dance. (You can see it in the film version.) I think my favorite is 'Why Can't the English'.

BTW, my son and I got to see the 2001 revival in London at the Drury Lane Theater, which is where the original production was presented in 1959. Since my son never got to know my Dad, who passed away six years before he was born, it was a way of connecting.

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:31 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
the single worst recording is the RNT. Johnathan Pryce is far from his best.

Martine McCutcheon is embarassingly bad.

and it has terrible orchestrations and the ugliest sounding version of With a little bit of luck I ever heard.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next