The Resource For Musicals

The Music Man Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
audition songs for the girls 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post audition songs for the girls
to audition for zaneeta, gracie, and amaryllis, do I need to show a lot of character or more of the vocals? I'm not sure what song to do because I dont know how the character are supposed to act or what kind of presence they're supposed to have. Please help!

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
If you have time to watch it, I'd rent the 1962 film version. I'll do my best to explain them, but I haven't seen the stage show in ages. I've been watching the film like mad to prep for my upcoming audition because someone on here said it's pretty much just like the stage version and from what I can recall they are correct. I haven't put too much thought into these roles since I'm way too old for them, so I can only tell you what I got out of them from watching the film.

Anyway... All three are smaller roles. As far as lines and stage time the order of the size of their roles is Zaneeta, Amaryllis and then Gracie.

Zaneeta-a featured dancing role, however the intensity of her dancing will depend on the choreorapher and director's visions. She tends to be perky and happy. She is afraid of speaking up to her father about liking Tommy, so she sees him behind her father's back. The actress who played her on Broadway, as well as in the film, said her one bit of direction was to say "Ye, gods" with a giggle.

Amryllis- sings part of "Goodnight My Someone" with Marian and, again depending on the director, plays the piano. However they can easily fake her playing. Though she teases Winthrop about his lisp she really does like him. She is a nice little girl that has a tendency to do or say things that are a little mean without meaning to. Such as laughing at Winthrop when he can't say her name properly, or telling Marian that she doesn't want to "...end up an old maid like you!"

Gracie- typical little sister type. She has a few lines and is a tattle-tale. Didn't really get much else out of her, but again I wasn't really focusing on her.

Break a leg at your audition!

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:25 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
^^^ Yes, that's spot on. Try to watch the film. It IS really close to the book/script.
Know the song "goodnight My someone" for auditioning for Amaryllis, just in case. The other two don't have a singing spot. focus more on the character.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:56 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

thanks! yeah i will definitely rent the movie (it's not the one with Cheno right?) so pretty much.....i need to show a really girly side. (hm....."I enjoy being a girl"?) ok. thanks so much!

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"I Enjoy Being a Girl" is a great choice if you're concentrating on Zaneeta or Gracie. If you decide to try for Amaryllis then I would go with more of a ballad. I guess it depends on your voice though. When I sing that song my voice has a completely different sound from when I sing "Goodnight My Someone."

I would avoid the one with Cheno if I were you. I've only seen clips on youtube, but I don't think that I could make it through the whole thing. I just didn't feel that her voice type fit that particular role. Then again I am sure that there are Cheno fans that love her no matter what she does, so it's all really just a matter of preference. Though I heard it strays from the stage version. However, since I haven't watched it, I don't really know for certain.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:50 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

me again...i was wondering it "Cock-eyed optimist" would be a good song to sing because it shows good character and a relative amount of range. I guess I like it mainly because i sang it for my last audition and got the part....lol. anyway, input?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

If you are leaning towards Amaryllis and you decide to go with "A Cock-eyed Optimist" make sure you sing the end if there is a time/bar limit so that you can sing the highest notes of the song. Otherwise any part of it should work for your audition. Having used it in the past with success will give you more confidence as well.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:07 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

yeah we're supposed to do "16-32" measures from a song, and I think last time I just did the whole thing - I don't remember it being a very long song.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:53 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

ok so i looked through all my broadway...audition...theater books today and i think i'm either gonna sing "I Enjoy Being A Girl" or "It Might As Well Be Spring" from State Fair. Any thoughts? sorry for constantly writing but i have to do this before school starts again.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Because "It Might as Well be Spring" isn't very high, I'd just go ahead and use "I Enjoy Being A Girl."

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:54 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

If you are leaning towards Amaryllis and you decide to go with "A Cock-eyed Optimist" make sure you sing the end if there is a time/bar limit so that you can sing the highest notes of the song. Otherwise any part of it should work for your audition. Having used it in the past with success will give you more confidence as well.

My voice teacher suggested this song for my Music Man audition ("I hear the human race..." to the end) and I'm thinking of trying out for Zaneeta since dancing is my strong point and I'm closest in age to her. Do you have any tips for "Zaneeta-izing" this song?

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:32 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

ok so i know this sounds super crazy, but it seems like it always happens. auditions are on tuesday nand i still don't have a song. i've been really really sick so i haven't had any time to try things out. im thinking of doing shy from once upon a mattress, but the problem is i don't have the sheet music. does anyone have the sheet music or the link to wear i can get it? if i can't get it i think i'm just gonna do confidence from the sound of music. please respond ASAP, since like i said the audition is on tuesday.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next