The Resource For Musicals

The Music Man Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
April Fools Music Man 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post April Fools Music Man
We had our last show of the run this April 1st, and even before the run began we were thinking how to make it memorable. So many things happened I would count it as the most fun theater experience I've ever had.

1. During Rock Island (done with shillouettes) everybody simultaneously spit out cigarettes at line "Seegarettes illegal in this state"

2. Marcellus (me!) comes on stage smoking and cursing under breath.

3. After throwing firecracker, Constable starts smacking Tommy over the head.

4. During Sadder But Wiser Girl Marcellus and Harold have to stop from kissing one another.

5. A male sang along to Pick a Little (miked)

6. Tommy, in response to "Have you ever done work with perpetual motion?" replies "Yes! That is, before I got hit on the head..."

7. After Marian makes plans to meet Hill at the footbridge there's a line "Mother, mother!" An older man backstage yelled as loud as possible "WHAT???"

8. When giving money to Hill Marcellus adds "I took a cut for myself, I need a new jacket" (I had been wearing the same jacket the entire play, a red and black plaid nightmare)

9. Marcellus changes line "As off balance as a cat-boat in a hurricane" to "As off balance as Mayor Shinn on... on April Fools day!"

10. When Hill punches Cowell, he first rips off Cowell's mustache.

11. When Marcellus brings in the band for the finale, Constable Locke takes him into custody and smacks him over the head.

Good show... good show, and that's just the stuff that went on in front of the curtain.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:08 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Very funny. With my theater group we often play pranks on the last performance, often the crew to the leads, I can't remember the Music Man prank though.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

If we did anything like that at any of the theatres I work with, even my own highschool, we'd all get shot. 8O

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:24 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

That's.... professional.

It's April Fools Day!! Of course the rules of ordinary professionalism can be stretched a little! :wink:

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:24 pm

musikal_geek wrote:
That's.... professional.

It's April Fools Day!! Of course the rules of ordinary professionalism can be stretched a little! :wink:

But, from the sounds of it, it seems that the "pranks" are things that the audience can notice: [-X

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Exactly, shenanigans that don't disrupt a performance are totally okay, but any mischief that changes the show in a noticable way is a big [-X

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:44 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Yeah, my high school has very strict rules against pranks. Anything that could jeopardise the professionalism of the show is absolutely forbidden. During one performance, a couple actors decided to place a plant in the audience, and pull him on stage as part of the act. Luckily, another actor, notorious for cleaning up other people's messes, stepped in and got the show back on track. Man, I thought the director would kill the guys involved.

The Past:Interviewer #1, The Interview; Wanda, Unbeatable Harold; Mrs. Pearce, MFL; Fruma Sarah, Fiddler on the Roof
The Present: UVic Theatre Major
The Future: Crack-ho?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:28 pm

I don't care if its April Fools Day... or any day. Don't give any audience less of a show than the last one. This includes pranks. It's really immature and shows a lack of dedication and respect. DaVinci didn't pee all over his Mona Lisa on April Fools day because he thought it would be funny, right?

By the way, rock island with silouettes sounds so cool. Actually, it would be cool to have it all in sillouhette (sp?) and then when Harold Hill starts talking, have him revealed... does that make sense? Like if you were using a scrim, you would then have Harold lit from the front, but all the others from behind...

...ok, I'm odd.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I don't care if its April Fools Day... or any day. Don't give any audience less of a show than the last one. This includes pranks. It's really immature and shows a lack of dedication and respect. DaVinci didn't pee all over his Mona Lisa on April Fools day because he thought it would be funny, right?

By the way, rock island with silouettes sounds so cool. Actually, it would be cool to have it all in sillouhette (sp?) and then when Harold Hill starts talking, have him revealed... does that make sense? Like if you were using a scrim, you would then have Harold lit from the front, but all the others from behind...

...ok, I'm odd.

No, that really DOES sound cool!
Good idea!

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]