The Resource For Musicals

The Music Man Forum

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Charlie Cowell Act 1 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

BITCHES! DUECHEBAGS! SHIT-FLAPS! THIS IS THE ---- WORST COMMUNITY I'VE EVER BEEN A PART OF AND ALL OF YOU SUCK ASS! I ---- KNOW THAT THESE WEREN'T THE BEST IDEAS YOU ASSHOLES! WE HAVE A LOW SCHOOL BUDGET AND OUR DIRECTOR COULD ONLY GET THE ABRIDGED VERSION AND FEW PEOPLE TO JOIN SO WE HAD TO IMPROVISE I ---- HATE YOU ALL AND PRAY TO GOD THAT I DON'T EVER MAKE THE MISTAKE OF CHECKING UP ON THIS GOD DAMN TOPIC AGAIN LET ALONE THIS DAMN FORUM! ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS ALTHOUGH THE COMMENTS WERE TRUE THAT THEY COULD HAVE BEEN PUT FRIENDLIER ESPECIALLY TO A NEW MEMBER WHO NOW FEELS THAT HE WON'T RETURN TO THE FORUM PLUS FEELS LIKE A DUMBSHIT AND YOU ALL PROBABLY THINK I AM I REALLY FEEL STRESSED ABOUT THIS WHOLE ---- THING I WISH I NEVER WOULD HAVE AUDITIONED SO THEN ALL THIS SHIT WOULD NOT HAVE PUT ME IN A LIVING HELL! EXCUSE MY PROFANITY BUT I REALLY FEEL THIS WAY!

Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:48 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Valium, anyone?

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:34 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Honestly, I don't think directors should do shows with huge casts and no appeal (in their area). Do something small and more appealing (Little Shop comes to mind). If you can't do the musical without changing it--don't do it. We're not bitches or douche (you spelled it wrong) bags (although some people here are)--we're just trying to preserve the excellence of classic musicals such as The Music Man. I'm sorry if you were offended by our criticism/advice/suggetsions.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Typing in caps does give off the impression of being stressed.

Last edited by Baker on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Honestly, I don't think directors should do shows with huge casts and no appeal (in their area). Do something small and more appealing (Little Shop comes to mind). If you can't do the musical without changing it--don't do it. We're not bitches or douche (you spelled it wrong) bags (although some people here are)--we're just trying to preserve the excellence of classic musicals such as The Music Man. I'm sorry if you were offended by our criticism/advice/suggetsions.

It's not the suggestions that bug me it's the critisism. Thank you for explaining it better. I feel the same but, it's just that I had no control over the directors decisions. I will say goodbye now I apologize for my indecent behavior, I'm done with this forum and must go moderate on another. Sorry for even bringing up this topic, and that we had to change it. I will take into consideration what you said what_the_heck013. This is really the only musical I care for other than Fiddler on The Roof. I will try better to be patient with people. Oh and, I don't care for the music in musicals much, classic rock for me. Well I'll leave you guys alone and return to my video gaming, meaningless life of Nintendo. I really need a real life. Again I apologize and goodbye.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:50 am

Have fun! And I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! Come back real soon!

Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:26 am
Profile WWW

Charlie, calm down. I'm sorry you took our comments the wrong way, but you did ask.

What BroadwayFreak said is correct: if someone from MTI had come and seen the show, your director could have been in big trouble. When a group pays for the rights to perform a show, they promise to perform it *as written*. Minor changes, such as women playing men's roles, are acceptable, as long as the gender of the character isn't changed. Major changes, such as your adaptation, needs special permission *in writing* from the company that owns the performing rights.

We understand the problems of low audition turn-out, believe me!! The members of this forum offered possible alternatives. There was no intention of putting you down, only commenting that your director could have made better choices.

You are still welcome to visit this forum, if you so choose. While I'm not a moderator on this forum, I would still advise you to please control your temper and not take your frustration out on fellow posters, especially not in such an insulting manner. It could get you banned from this website.

That being said, I hope you have a rewarding experience on Musicals.net.

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:22 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

OMG! This is still on the front page of the forum! I realize that I took them the wrong way and people did not pay to see the performance it was free addmission and we just ordered some script books.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:30 pm

Welcome back, Charlie!! I guess there just hasn't been much discussion about MM lately. What's happening on the Fiddler forum? I haven't been there in a while.

Not to worry, Charlie. We can all get upset when the shows we love are criticized. You should see what goes on with the CATS forum sometimes!! The discussion here was mild by comparision. Of course, on CATS, it's usually trolls who start the trouble.

That being said. it doesn't matter whether admission was charged or not. I doubt that your director 'just ordered some script books'. If he received official ones from MTI, then he signed a contract and should have abided by it. If he got library copies or something like that, he still needed permission to perform it. If he failed to get that permission, he could have jeopardized the whole show.

We're not blaming you or any other cast members, mind. I wouldn't work with this director in future, if I were you. He sounds awfully irresponsible.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:56 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

yeah i agree, i don't think that charlie should be there in the first act that basically takes away from the story if Harold has to hide from him all the time, I can't believe that there is not enough people for the train scene, I am in the process of doing this play and we don't have that many people but still enough to do the train scene you only need about 6 people!

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:56 am

Generally speaking, doubling of roles is common practice, even in professional productions. It helps cut down on production costs, and why hire a person to play one role if he only appears briefly in one scene. Look at the original West End cast for 'My Fair Lady'; there is even tripling of roles, if I recall correctly.

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yep! In my product we only had like 7 males over the age on 14. (Harold and Marcellus were both guest artist. We had the seven males by traviling sales men. My friends dad played mayor, and sales men #1. My friend who 14 at the time was in the scene too, but he didn't sing. He was there to add the affect of many people travling.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2