The Resource For Musicals

The Music Man Forum

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Charlie Cowell Act 1 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Charlie Cowell Act 1
Hello I'm new here and well, in my school production of The Music Man I play Charlie Cowell and I would like to hear comments on this:
We didn't have anyone to play the other Salesmen in Rock Island so I have to compose a new beggining for a Charlie Cowell solo scene.(Harold Hill is at the end). Here's what I've come up with while using some lines from other salesman:
Ever meet a fellow by the name of Hill?
I'm an anvil salesman Charlie Cowell's the name and Harold Hill's given every last one of us a black eye!
He's just a bang-beat bell ringin', big haul, great go, neck or nothin', rip roarin', ever time a bull's eye salesman. That's professer Harold Hill, Harold Hill!
He's a fake and he doesn't know the territory!
The fella sells bands, boys bands and I don't know how he does it but he lives like a king and he dallies and he gathers and he plucks and he shines and when the man dances certainly boys what els the piper pays him. Yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, yes sir. When the man dances certainly biys what else the piper pays him!
But he doesn't know the territory!
After he's worked a town over the next salesman to arrive automatically gets tarred and feathered and rode out to the city limits on a rail.
Because in order to sell band instruments and uniforms and instruction books he has to garauntee to teech the kids to play and to form them kids into a band with himself as the leader.
Well it won't be on this in trip, not in Iowa not even the great proffesor Hill would try to sell them neck-bowed hawkeyes out here. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for him! (All while speeking to the audience)
Harold: Excuse me could you point me towards the center of town?
Charlie:Right up this way, don't believe I caught your name!
Harold: Don't believe I dropped it!
Charlie sees the briefcase and runs after him off stage.
What do you think? (Remember he's speeking to the audience and I'm using lines already in the play)

I have two more questions.
I came up with the idea of having Charlie looking for Harold (no speech) in three songs but, never quite catches him.
Iowa Stubborn: Continues chasing on stage but loses Harold in the crowd.
76 Trombones: Hides behind Baton Twirlers but Harold sees him and hides.
Wells Fargo Wagon: Comes looking for him but can't find him and as sson as he leaves Harold comes on with Winthrop's cornet.
Is that a good idea?
Another question, how much relevance do you think Charlie has to the play?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Wait, you're NOT doing the train scene? Although it's the hardest, it's the best, most impressive scene. And if you don't have enough guys, use girls.

Oh, (I don't want to sound mean), but don't try to put yourself into more scenes. It would annoy me if I was a director if an actor did that. No offense, just advice.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I meant we don't have enough people in general to do the train scene.

I thought it would be funny if Charlie came in like that and the director decided he liked it and would do it! I didn't mean it to put myself in more scenes I just meant that I thought I would like some more comedy in there. But, honestly think that I wan't what I asked for what you thought of my ideas.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 pm

I meant we don't have enough people in general to do the train scene.

Is this a two-person version?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

We don't have enough people who even tried out to be able to perform the train scene. In case you didn't know, here in Wyoming aren't to big in population and therefore we have small schools making it hard to get many people to try out. Here in Wyoming not many people enjoy cheesy musicals like The Music Man.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:17 pm

Old ladies like The Music Man. When I was in it, we did a lot of matinees and lots of blue hairs came.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

People in Wyoming aren't always fond of The Music Man!
Most Wyoming citizens like Football, Sex, Beer and a Smoke!
At least in Evanston

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just put the quartet, mayor, and Marcellus in coats and hats and throw them into the train scene.

Also, adding Charlie into other scenes takes away from the plot. If Charlie had been there the whole time, he would have exposed him a long time ago and most of the story would have never happened. It makes the scene with Marian at the end very confusing -- if he had been there the whole time, why didn't he approach Mayor Shinn before? Why doesn't he know where Mayor Shinn lives already? Why is in such a hurry to catch the train? It just doesn't work.

Last edited by Baker on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:40 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Charlie doesn't say anything he just there for 4 or 5 seconds and gives up on looking for Harold Hill. We have a quartet played by girls we have Marcellus we just need salesmen and don't have them so we are going to have a solo scene for Charlie where he's basically saying the same thing to the audience just wihtout the other 5 salesmen. If you had payed any attention to my first post you would know what I mean by all this. Read slower.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:10 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Your quartet is by girls?
You aren't doing the train scene?
Ah, I really would love someone from MTI to see this show.
You MAY want to actually follow the script.
If you don't and people find out, you can get sued by MTI.
Plus, to be frank, the show would suck without all of Rock Island and Traveling Salesmen.
Whoa. Sorry.
Why didn't you just choose a show with a really small cast? (ie, Little Shop of Horrors? The plant CAN be made.)

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well we did it and it was succesful, I was hoping for a little bit of a positive attitude from this forum but, I will make this post my last seeing how shitty the members here are.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:37 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

You asked for our opinions on a not terribly great idea- they gave them. If you don't want to know, don't ask.

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next