The Resource For Musicals

Miss Saigon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
So, who else LOVES The Complete Symphonic Recording, with... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post So, who else LOVES The Complete Symphonic Recording, with...
Dear "Miss Saigon" Fans,

So, who else LOVES The Complete Symphonic Recording of "Miss Saigon", which features Joanna Ampil as Kim, Kevin Grey as The Engineer (In so many ways, I like him MORE than Pryce, even though Pryce is good; I ESPECIALLY love Grey's delivery of "If You Want to Die in Bed"), etc.?

I could discuss the good aspects of The Complete Symphonic Recording FOREVER, because there are SO many good aspects of that soundtrack!

I like the instrumental arrangements, because they seem to be so graceful, classic, etc. I think that the voices of the prostitutes sound so perfect in the song "Movie in My Mind"; that song, and "Baby, Dream Your Dream" (1966 "Sweet Charity") are similar to each other, and both are likable. Joanna Ampil sounds dreamy, yet tortured, as Kim, and Kevin Grey is sexy, sleazy AND cruel as The Engineer. Chris and John both sound pleasant and believable, and Ellen sounds believable; the "Room 317" number is emotionally appropriate. The Finale is sad, but graceful.

I guess that I always sort of like musical numbers to have a smooth, graceful style to them, and that that's why I love the CSR of "Miss Saigon".

Whatever the case, I simply love that soundtrack, and I should try to find it soon, because I listen to it on YouTube....from time to time.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:?:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:00 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: So, who else LOVES The Complete Symphonic Recording, wit
I really liked this recording, as well. Kevin Gray is one of my all-time favorite performers -- loved him in Kiss of the Spider Woman, Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King, and Jekyll & Hyde, and he's perhaps my favorite Engineer. I wish he was still with us. I would've loved to see him perform in MS and POTO again, record another album, maybe get to be in Les Misérables or Sweeney Todd somewhere... :cry:

But anyway... yeah, I liked this recording a lot. Much more than the Complete Symphonic Recording for Les Mis, mainly because the cast seemed more "together" -- it wasn't nearly as obvious to me that everyone wasn't in the same room recording the album as the CSR for LM was. Then again, I'm not as much of an überfan of Miss Saigon as I am of LM -- I like the show a lot, but I don't obsessively collect recordings the way I have for LM and POTO. But in all, yeah... I liked the CSR a lot, and it's nice to have a recording of the full show in any case. :)

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: So, who else LOVES The Complete Symphonic Recording, wit
Me, me, me.

I saw the Toronto production, which featured Kevin Grey (Engineer) and Charles Azulay (Thuy), many many times, so I am quite fond of this recording. I am not all that fond of Peter Cousins from the Australian Production as Chris since he doesn't really sound all that American to me, despite a fine voice.

My main complaint about the Original London Cast is not the fault of the cast at all, who are all superb. I simply dislike some of the old lyrics which sound stilted. "For the great sacred bird is reborn..." sounds like some white guy's idea of how Asians think. Then again "paper dragons" and "unicorns" are still present in the current lyrics...

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]