The Resource For Musicals

Miss Saigon Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Miss Saigon High School edition - a couple of questions... 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Miss Saigon High School edition - a couple of questions...
Hi guys,

Where can I find more info about the scoring and musical arrangements for the Miss Saigon High School edition? I'm curious. What has been changed musically and as far as the libretto is concerned? I'd like to compare it to my vocal score and see what didn't make the cut!

Joseph

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:57 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

This one is hard to answer seeing as the availability for this show is limited, so not many have done it. Your best chance to ask someone who's done the show, and there's a thread on the first page of the Miss Saigon section of a group that did the show..ask them. :D

Tue May 08, 2007 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post its not too different
I just performed Miss Saigon at my high school this past weekend. The scores are not that different at all. There is some censorsing but thats the most different things. I also beleive that Sun and Moon is a little different.

Wed May 16, 2007 6:54 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Miss Saigon High School edition - a couple of questions.
I haven't found any website that has info on the school edition yet, but what I know for sure is that:

- for the School Edition, the soundtrack used is the Compelete Recording recording instead of the London OST.
- they took out "If You Want to Die in Bed"
- mild censorship on some songs, dialogue, and scene
- some changes in song pitch, depending on the character's vocals. I know for ours, they changed "The Last Night of the World" to one key lower than normal. Our Kim was a bit on the alto side so yeah.

Mon May 21, 2007 12:07 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I had the advantage i guess you could call it of not having the school edition - we were able to keep "If You Wanna Die in Bed" but change just a few of the words in that song and along with "the Heat is On" and "the American Dream". Most of our lyrics were changed after our first performance becuase our principle - being very "smart and adult" - decided not to read the script before approving the play. In result, most of the cast missed a full day of school trying to rewrite half the show but we did not end up pulling though with all of the changes seeing as it would be illegal. =/

Wed May 23, 2007 7:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Miss Saigon
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Miss Saigon High School edition - a couple of questions.
Definitely a lot of key changes and stuff like that. Changes in speed, and also the rating goes down from R to PG-13. The names of the songs change. For example, "The Fall of Saigon" is split into 3 different songs that connect together called Kim's Nightmare Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3, "Her Or Me" is called "Now That I've Seen Her", etc. But that's what happens with all school edition shows. I'm not so sure about this one, but Kim's Nightmare Part 1 has an added Thuy moment where she's at her bed and he tells her that Chris is not who she thinks he is, he never dies, etc. The Sacred Bird and Finale are one song. Just a few things. Hope it helped

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]