The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Song Discussion: "Call Back in the Morning" 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Song Discussion: "Call Back in the Morning"
This is a song that is rarely brought up in discussions of the show. When I first joined MdN, I considered "Call Back" the worst song in the show. Thankfully I have since changed my mind because it's an act opener, which is nothing to be sneezed at. Also, it's much more challanging that people think due to the speed of the lyrics and the way that Seymour and Audrey have to sing to close to each other (in terms of the order of the lyrics, not personal space). So, who else loves this song?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Last edited by Apples2for10 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:36 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: Song Discussion: "Call Back in the Morning"
Personally, I really like this song. I haven't seen the show on stage, so I have no basis other than YouTube videos and cast recordings, but I can easily see how it works in the show, and I just like it as a song.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm not really a big fan. I've played Seymour and it was SO DIFFICULT for Audrey and I. Just the lyrics and the speed that you have so spit them out at. Plus darting back and forth across the stage, which I guess isn't mandatory, but we did in the production I was in. I think if it's well done, this number can be great, but in most productions of Little Shop, which are often mediocre 'cause it's a popular show for groups with small production values and such, the number just comes off bland. With a good director, actors, and rehearsal time, this number could really pop, but as I said, in most productions, it just doesn't.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:39 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I really enjoyed performing this song, actually - at first I hated it but it got to be pretty good fun once we mastered the lyrics and blocking.
That said, I don't think it's a brilliant act opener. It essentially serves the same purpose as Closed for Renovation, ie to show that business is thriving. Maybe a reprise would have done the job better? Still, nice harmony at the end.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]