The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Bad idea for a high school's first musical? 

How do you feel about a small high school with a mediocre drama department putting on LSOH as their first musical?
Go for it! 81%  81%  [ 30 ]
Mistake. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 37

Bad idea for a high school's first musical? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Bad idea for a high school's first musical?
The director of my highschool drama department has decided to put on a musical this spring. We have been fairly successful with our many previous straight plays, but I don't think our budget, talent, or commitment (of some) will be able to pull it off. (And do it justice.) Our stage is smaller than most, so I don't know how our director is feeling about the fourth stage of Audrey II. Our budget is minimal, so I don't know how the sets will come together. Now, do you think it is a mistake to make Little Shop of Horrows their first show? It's quite an undertaking, so I'm kinda' nervous.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What are your stage dimensions? I mean... When I saw LSOH the stage was easily 10' x 15'.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:00 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It's a small show, fairly easy to do with a fixed set and a couple of panels, minimal choreography and the music is not especially challenging. I think it's a fine choice for a first go at a musical. My only concern is that the plant puppets have to be really good (hopefully you're renting them) and that the show may not be as "feel good" and marketable as other musicals to the administration. You have to start somewhere, and I think this is as good a show as any.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 am

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
it's a fun show with a fairly small cast and fun songs and just overall a really fun show! Go for it, dude!

:D :D :D

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:15 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post sg
Bad idea in general! ARGH!! WE'RE DOING IT AND ITS A DISASTER!!
Audrey cannot sing to save her life, seymour is a short girl who cannot stay in tune adn teh other 2 Rockettes also cant stay in tune for more than 4 bars!!!!!!! ARGH!! we're supposed to be doing this in March!!! adn we've only done like 3 scenes!!!
HA the stupid MD only picked her favourites, it didnt amtter if there were ppl better than them!! em and my friend sung 'for good' teh other day and she was gobsmacked adn said' wow i dint know you could sing like that'
WELL DUH!! THATS BECASUE YOU DIDNT PAY ATTENTION IN THE 5 WEEK SOF PRELIM AUDITIONS/REHEARSALS! adn didnt care!
ITs a DISASTER! ARGH

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The only really expensive thing should be all of the Audrey II's, but other than that it shouldn't be too difficult. I say go for it!

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: sg
Kerry_ROCKS! wrote:
Audrey cannot sing to save her life, seymour is a short girl who cannot stay in tune adn teh other 2 Rockettes also cant stay in tune for more than 4 bars!!!!!!! ARGH!! we're supposed to be doing this in March!!! adn we've only done like 3 scenes!!!
HA the stupid MD only picked her favourites, it didnt amtter if there were ppl better than them!! em and my friend sung 'for good' teh other day and she was gobsmacked adn said' wow i dint know you could sing like that'
WELL DUH!! THATS BECASUE YOU DIDNT PAY ATTENTION IN THE 5 WEEK SOF PRELIM AUDITIONS/REHEARSALS! adn didnt care!
ITs a DISASTER! ARGH

Do you go to an all-girls school?
Is that why you have a girl Seymour? :?

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Kerry_ROCKS! wrote:
ITs a DISASTER! ARGH

So just because your production sucks=All productions will?

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

pish123c wrote:
Kerry_ROCKS! wrote:
ITs a DISASTER! ARGH

So just because your production sucks=All productions will?

That's what I was thinking. I think Little Shop is a wonderful show for a school to start out with. Mostly because of the minimal amount of set.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post little shop
Sorry, i'm just so frustrated that ours is so rubbish!
it would be a great one to do as long as you have an M.D who knows what they're doing!!

We ahev a great 'Audrey 2' though! My friend Jack, he is awesome at mimicking voices!

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:24 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

It's a good show to do, in my opinion. You don't need any expensive stuff, save for Audrey II.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hey, Jack?? You know how you wanted to do Chicago at your school?? I'm thinking Little Shop might turn out the same.... it doesn't seem like there are that many people at your school who would try out. BUT, if you do do it, you'd be an awesome Seymour and I'd come and see it.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next