The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
LSOH, Disturbing? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

In the current London production, one critic actually almost psycho-analysed the show. It mentioned how the plant in this production (and I agree) resembles a phallus.

This is of course the plant that gave a new sense of power to Seymour and enabled him to get the girl... so in the begining when he was singing to the plant "Please grow for me", it sort of has a double meaning "apparently". Interesting and disturbing but loved the show indeed!

Wed May 16, 2007 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Ugh, Ugh. I don't want to think about that.

I tend to think of the show as along the campy, "black comedy" line of Rocky Horror et al, although I did see a YouTube vid of a production that played the dentist scene straight and that made it a whole lot creepier somehow.

Wed May 16, 2007 9:32 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I love the dark humor of the show. That's just my personal choice. If the show were played straight, the show would be so much creepier, but since it's presented in a campy way, it's completely brillant.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:19 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I only was truly disturbed by LSoH 20 years ago. I was 9 and was seeing it on stage for the first time (bear in mind I had already seen the 1986 film beforehand). It was traumatizing, particularly seeing Audrey get fed to that plant!

However, in 1999 I made friends with a plethora of people who had just done LSoH for their community theatre, and when I saw the video of their performance, it helped because by that point I was 21, and when Audrey got fed to the plant, it REALLY helped that the woman playing her was standing right behind me. :) I even remarked "See you when I get there!" when she got eaten, and she laughed.

Plus, the original film has been a favorite of mine for 17 years. I was 13 when I first saw it, and when Seymour threw himself in the plant (Audrey didn't get eaten), I actually laughed. It's all in the presentation.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:17 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

dwarves r very upsetting wrote:
I love this show one of my biggest complaints is how they changed the ending in the movie. #-o

Yes. I was watching the movie for the first time the other day (even though I've seen the stage show and have loved the music for over a year) and was like...whaaaa? 8O

Frank Oz explained why they changed it on the commentary track on the current UK DVD release. Basically, while in a stage production, your cast will come back onto the stage to take applause (thus reassuring the audience), on film that doesn't happen. The character stays dead.

So - the original film ending has your two main protagonists die... with no resolution. Too depressing for your average film audience. Needs the hero to Save The Day.

So - for box-office reasons, the ending had to be altered...

Mon May 25, 2009 4:22 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

dwarves r very upsetting wrote:
I love this show one of my biggest complaints is how they changed the ending in the movie. #-o

Yes. I was watching the movie for the first time the other day (even though I've seen the stage show and have loved the music for over a year) and was like...whaaaa? 8O

Frank Oz explained why they changed it on the commentary track on the current UK DVD release. Basically, while in a stage production, your cast will come back onto the stage to take applause (thus reassuring the audience), on film that doesn't happen. The character stays dead.

So - the original film ending has your two main protagonists die... with no resolution. Too depressing for your average film audience. Needs the hero to Save The Day.

Apologies for double-post.

So - for box-office reasons, the ending had to be altered...

Mon May 25, 2009 4:23 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Jersey Boys!!
Main Role: Performer
I'd say it's more campy than creepy.

But I like dark humor.

Ok, OnceUponATime, I really only quoted u because i love your signature :D LABYRINTH! That is what it's from, isn't it? geez, that should have a thread lolz

Mon May 25, 2009 6:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ya know, the first time i saw the show live - i had absolutely no clue of the oiriginal ending. i was obviously expecting there to be changes since it was live and the live versions are always different and i knew there were more songs and stuff. i didnt find it disturbing, but i must admit - i nearly cried when Audrey was in Seymour's arms dying. the cast i saw played that particular moment quite straight and serious - especially when she said "finally I'll be somewhere that's green". the 2 leads were amazing and had awesome chemistry and the "Suddenly Seymour" was one of the best ever - i REALLY wish i had a recording of it!
:mrgreen:

Upcoming Auditions:

NONE - for now...

Thu May 28, 2009 7:18 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

There's another reason the happier ending works better for the movie--I realized this after seeing the original ending on YouTube.

Onstage, the darker ending has more of a "black comedy" feel, with the victims' faces singing from the blossoms. The heroes are dead and Audrey II is poised to take over the world, but we still can't help laughing at the way it's staged.

In the original ending for the movie, we don't see much of that aspect. All we see are innocent people being killed and menaced. Somehow...it just doesn't seem that funny.

(To say nothing of Seymour's death scene in the original version of "Mean Green Mother." It just took forever for the plant to lift Seymour into its maw, and we kept getting these really disturbing close-ups of Seymour's terrified face.)

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
I always get a little creeped out when Audrey II first starts talking, as well as the Act I finale. My brother hates Don't Feed the Plants, when they sing "and this theatre!" It's such an awesome show, though.

Ha! I watched the movie and thought the same thing at that part. I thought it was just me, because no one else I knew of seemed to think that. Until now.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:39 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: LSOH, Disturbing?
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm producing Little Shop in the Spring and have been thinking about this.
I don't think the show was ever intended to disturb. Of course there are scenes and roles that might scare the audience (I'm thinking a properly creepy dentist) but the play satirizes 'B' movies which by their very nature were not scary and were hilarious.

In his introduction to the libretto, Howard Ashman said that there is "a temptation to play it for camp and low-comedy. This is a great and potentially fatal mistake." He says that the acting and production needs to be completely sincere and almost naive, and this honesty combined with the tone inherent in the script will produce the laughs. "When Little Shop is at its most honest, it is also at its funniest and most enjoyable."

The show wasn't written to be disturbing - it is by turns funny, poignant and creepy, but overall it's supposed to be a fun night, not an unsettling one.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:22 am

Post Re: LSOH, Disturbing?
Agreed! I think the word for Little Shop is "weird," not "disturbing." I played Seymour and took the whole "Don't play it campy!" thing pretty seriously, so when my father told me it was a "really weird show" I was kinda taken aback, but he's right.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next