The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I never would have guessed 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post I never would have guessed
Ok, this may be completely off the wall and useless to most people but I found out today that the same guy who wrote Little Shop of Horrors wrote most of the music for The Little Mermaid, isn't that neat?

Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:35 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

And Aladdin.

And many, many more.

Hooray. :wink:

Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hey, and the same girl who played Audrey in the revival of LSoH sang the part of Ariel on the broadway demo for the Little Mermaid! And LSoH is loosely based on Macbeth, just as the Lion King is loosely based on Hamlet! Anyone else sensing the cosmic broadway/Disney/Shakespeare connection here? 8O

Jk. :lol: But I love Kerry Butler... And Disney.

:mrgreen:

Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:22 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, Nora. My favorite drama queen. :wink:

Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:38 pm

Main Role: Performer
Menken and Ashman only wrote Little Shop and LIttle Mermaid together. sadly Ashman died of AIDS not long after the Little Mermaid's release.

and its very obvious Mermaid and Little Shop are written by the same people. Somewhere thats Green and Part of Yopur World sound almost the same. LOL

Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

And LSoH is loosely based on Macbeth, just as the Lion King is loosely based on Hamlet!

Seriously?? I REALLY need to catch up on my Shakespeare. I can't believe that.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:27 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Catch Me If You Can
Main Role: Performer
Lion King II (I'm now talking about the video) is based on Romeo and Juliet. Hehe. A lot of Lion King Shakepeare stuff going on.

Though I can't think of any link for the third part of the trilogy. Or any reason for that matter. :(

Currently:
Studying MA Music Theatre at Central School of Speech and Drama

Past Roles:
Bowman/Peasant/Tomjon - Wyrd Sisters
The Boss - Of Mice and Men

Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Menken and Ashman only wrote Little Shop and LIttle Mermaid together. sadly Ashman died of AIDS not long after the Little Mermaid's release.

and its very obvious Mermaid and Little Shop are written by the same people. Somewhere thats Green and Part of Yopur World sound almost the same. LOL

And I saw a concert with Jodi Benson (the voice of Ariel) and she sang those songs back to back. Kind of funny. People next to me were like "didn't she just sing that?"

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Salome wrote:

And I saw a concert with Jodi Benson (the voice of Ariel) and she sang those songs back to back. Kind of funny. People next to me were like "didn't she just sing that?"

Lol, that's something I would do. The first time I heard "Somewhere That's Green" I thought it sounded vaguely familiar--I was raised on Disney movies, so naturally I saw The Little Mermaid wayyy before I even heard of LSoH. But I didn't quite make the connection until I heard the demo recording of Kerry Butler singing "Part of Your World"... It was a moment of revelation! Hehe. :D

:mrgreen:

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

omgggggggg I love Menken and Ashman. TI think their era is my favorite in Disney history. Even when it was just Menken, I'd take those movies over Cinderella and Snow White any day (Please don't smite me!)

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:01 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

omgggggggg I love Menken and Ashman. TI think their era is my favorite in Disney history. Even when it was just Menken, I'd take those movies over Cinderella and Snow White any day (Please don't smite me!)

ooooo no.

okay I agree on the Cinderella aspect but not Snow White. Snow White owns your soul! okay so what if I'm biased towards Snow White.

And now tis time to sing the new song that reminds me of it "
You belong to me, my Snow White Queen, there's nowhere to run so let's just get it over"

I'm done

~Reality is a traitor; its easy to misjudge things~
~What journey will you make in your limited time?~

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:33 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

correction: Beauty and the Beast was also composed by Ashman and Menken. Some songs from Aladdin were also written by Ashman but Menken had to collaborate with Tim Rice for the other songs...

Menken and Ashman have been composing materials for a long time before Disney materialised their works.

Sadly like you mentioned, Howard Ashman died of AIDS and left unfinished works.

In the Beauty and Beast movie, credits include: To Howard who gave voice to a mermaid and a beast his soul, we'll be forever grateful.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next