The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
I never would have guessed 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Yes..I forgot they wrote a few of the Beauty and The Beast songs trogether before Ashman died.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

yeah Menken and Ashman wrote all the songs for the movie BatB and they had started a little bit of work on Aladdin when Ashman died.
Then when Disney went to do the Broadway version of BatB, Tim Rice wrote the words for the new songs (except Human Again which was written fo rthe movie, then cut, then put in the Broadway show, then put back into the movie for the 2001(?) DVD release :lol: )
It's really sad because Ashman put so much heart into Beauty (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he was one of the producers of the film. I know he also had some other postion as well as lyrisit), but died before the movie was finished. All of the music was set and recorded, they were just still animating the film when he died. So he never got to see the finished product :(

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You can also here an amazing similarity between the start of "Git it" (notably when A2 sings...)
Quote:
I'm your Genie, I'm your friend, I'm your willing slave

to pretty much all of "Friend Like Me" in Aladdin.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
I'd take those movies over Cinderella and Snow White any day (Please don't smite me!)

Whatchu talkin bout?!? Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is, hands down, the best animated movie EVER made, and will forever be the best. That's not just the Disney fanboy in me, that's the entire freakin animation industry. Almost every animated movie made after 1937 took elements from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and incorporated it into their films! #-o
Sorry, I know I'm three years late, but REALLY. Snow White owns your soul, like Elphaba_Gelphie_Glinda so appropriately put it.

And I believe Ashman died in the middle of production for the score of Aladdin. IIRC, it was quite sudden. My dad constantly tells me his "I remember where I was when Ashman died" story like it's JFK or something, lol. A real shame he died before he could do anything else...his lyrics in Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin remain unsurpassed as far as Disney goes. Lyrics in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Mary Poppins, and Pocahontas come close, but NOTHING compared to Ashman's genius contributions.

Hehe, sorry, I'm the Salome of Disney stuff.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

LSOH isn't based so much on Macbeth as on Faust, or so I'd learned.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, didn't Ashman write the lyrics for the title song of Beauty and the Beast? He also wrote lyrics for "Proud of Your Boy" which is a beautiful song.

Part of Your World and Somewhere That's Green have many STRONG similarities, but, other than the chorus, I don't htin their that identical.

"Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our finger through the flame?...why, do we refuse to hang a light when the streets are dangerous? Why does it take an accident before the truth gets through to us? Actions speak louder than words.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:18 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Lion King II (I'm now talking about the video) is based on Romeo and Juliet. Hehe. A lot of Lion King Shakepeare stuff going on.

Though I can't think of any link for the third part of the trilogy. Or any reason for that matter. :(

Interesting.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:48 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Salome wrote:
Menken and Ashman only wrote Little Shop and LIttle Mermaid together. sadly Ashman died of AIDS not long after the Little Mermaid's release.

and its very obvious Mermaid and Little Shop are written by the same people. Somewhere thats Green and Part of Yopur World sound almost the same. LOL

correction: Beauty and the Beast was also composed by Ashman and Menken. Some songs from Aladdin were also written by Ashman but Menken had to collaborate with Tim Rice for the other songs...

Menken and Ashman have been composing materials for a long time before Disney materialised their works.

Sadly like you mentioned, Howard Ashman died of AIDS and left unfinished works.

In the Beauty and Beast movie, credits include: To Howard who gave voice to a mermaid and a beast his soul, we'll be forever grateful.

Yes, Ashman and Menken wrote the Beauty and the Beast music together for the movie. The additional music in the musical was written by Menken and Tim Rice.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
LSoH is loosely based on Macbeth.

I'm thinking really, REALLY hard, here.
Still.... nothing.

Sat May 08, 2010 8:21 am

agreed christina. its based more on faust. but remember reoger corman wrote little shop[ it was turned into a musical by ashman and menken.

Sun May 09, 2010 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re:
Salome wrote:
Menken and Ashman only wrote Little Shop and LIttle Mermaid together. sadly Ashman died of AIDS not long after the Little Mermaid's release.

and its very obvious Mermaid and Little Shop are written by the same people. Somewhere thats Green and Part of Yopur World sound almost the same. LOL

That's not quite true. Beauty and the Beast was nearly completed, and Aladdin was in the preliminary stages [a few songs had been written] when Howard died (around six months before BATB's theatrical release). Rent the DVD of BATB and listen to the commentary and the "musical conversation" featurette (assuming you're in Canada or the US, if you're in the UK or some other place, I don't know if the DVD is the same.)

Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2