The Resource For Musicals

Little Shop of Horrors Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Can somebody copy the original vocal score? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Can somebody copy the original vocal score?
I want to see the music to Audrey 2 and the songs the plant sings. The score has to be differant than the vocal selections because I've tried out for it twice and I haven't gotten the part. They must be higher. I'm a high baritone and can sing the songs from the vocal selection but if anybody can copy the vocal score, I appreciate and it would be a great help. If it goes higher than in the vocal selections, than I'll stop.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:31 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Post Re: Can somebody copy the original vocal score?
What key signature are the songs in the vocal selections? Because if memory serves they're in the same key as the vocal score (a baritone should be able to manage the plant fairly well).

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Yeah, the songs are written higher than they're commonly thought of, because

1. They're interpolated down in some points in the movie music, and those same changes are easily applicable to the musical script. In fact, I did just that with the full blessing of my director; and
2. A basso rather than a baritonal voice quality really enforces the dramatic tone and feel of the songs.

I can only recall two specifics about the score:
1. "Feed Me" is in C; and
2. The entire score is a huge freaking mess. It all looks like xeroxed hand-written sheets, and ... ugh.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thank you Rorgg. After 2 tries, I'll stop wasting my time trying out for it. Can you still copy the songs Audrey 2 sings? I still just want to take a look and see what it is like.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sorry, don't have a copy of the score, I was going from memory on those. Trust me, it's a MESS.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I have the two songs... somewhere, from when I tried out. Feed Me is definitely higher than you'd think for a part usually sung by a bass. Is it usually transposed down?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I understand Rorgg and I believe you. I wish that musical directors would be honest before my time is wasted. The plant was one of my dream roles but maybe in other lives, I'll play it.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pannic wrote:
I have the two songs... somewhere, from when I tried out. Feed Me is definitely higher than you'd think for a part usually sung by a bass. Is it usually transposed down?

Not transposed, but... look at the music while you listen to the movie version. You'll see that the very highest notes are changed. The song as done in the movie doesn't follow the written musical score, but it keeps the style and feel.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:07 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

This reminds me of when I tried out for The Wiz and got the Lion. A few weeks into the show I tried my best in singing the part but it was harder and higher than I thought. Stage Agent says that it was for a baritone (which I am) but it is more of a tenor role. They let me go but I was cool about it. I was a little mad that the score reminded me of the plant. I wished that sites like Stage Agent were more honest and everything wasn't written so high.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Yeah, Stage Agent isn't very accurate. Like, I remember it listed Roger in Rent as a baritone. Sites like stage agent are good for a reference sometimes, but they need to be taken with a grain of salt. The sites that license the shows are more reliable, but they still make mistakes on occasion.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:25 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I guess I was smart I didn't try out for The Wiz back in 1986 and 1989 and Little Shop back in 1998. Those were parts I would have loved to have played but as I said before, in other lives.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I didn't see the production of Little Shop when I tried out for it but I saw a picture of the guy who voiced the plant and I know he was a tenor. That sucks that he got the part and I didn't. I wished the director was honest and at least let me look at the score.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]