The Resource For Musicals

The Lion King Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Lion King Musical Review (In London) 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Lion King Musical Review (In London)
Lion King Musical Review

I did a review of the Lion King Musical and I thought it was one of the best productions I have ever seen.

This is a review I wanted to do for a while.

Its a review on a musical called The Lion King which took place on the 12th of February at the Lyceum Theatre in Convent Garden.

Lion King Musical Website - http://www2.disney.co.uk/MusicalTheat...

Lyceum Theatre Website - http://www.lyceumtheatrelondon.org.uk

It was very first musical I have ever seen and I have to say its one of the best things I have ever seen in The Theatre.

It was spot on perfect.

I gave it 5 stars, I will admit it is pricey but it is so worth the price of the admission.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post THE LION KING: Musical Review (London)
I found this review interesting to listen to and was glad that Aldridge had such a visceral emotional response to the show, though I disagree on his point that one needs to have seen the film to get the best experience of the show. I thought perhaps his very enthusiastic response to the show was partly owing to a lack of experience in general, as evidenced in this quotation from the review:

Barry Aldridge wrote:
This is my first ever musical, because I've been skeptical about musicals in the past and this is probably is the best musical I've ever seen.

While I absolutely agree that the costumes and choreography and indeed many of the other theatrical aspects of the show are incredibly engaging and although I enjoyed The Lion King when I saw it, I don't feel it's a perfect show by any means. There are very definitely problems with the book (in its construction, in some of the new scenes contrived for the show and in some of the actual dialogue) and with some of the additional musical material created for the adaptation, particularly the songs added to the show that were written by Elton John and Tim Rice. Even so, I think it is a good gateway show and I hope that Aldridge has checked his skepticism and seen a few more musicals since his experience of The Lion King!

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Lion King Musical Review (In London)
I recently saw it and I thought it was amazing. Loved the shadowland song :D

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hi BarryAldridge,
I have read lion king musical review and found it really interesting.
shadow land song was a treat to hear. Couldn't take eyes off from cheetah as cheetah was to good.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:26 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I love the costumes, the set designs, the story, the makeup. But for me, what makes it stand out, is the MUSIC. It is just incredible. I listen to the soundtrack all the time! I love Jason Raize's voice. RIP :(

Nice review by the way!

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:02 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I can't see your review anymore :( I was interested to read what you have to say!

The Lion King has been open for what..over ten years now? I was wondering what it was like when it first opened compared to now?

I recently went to see it at the Lyceum theatre recently and the opening number was INCREDIBLE! And, I know it has been menion before, but what vibrant costumes! It really sets the scene for the blistering African landscape.

I found a site with some bloggers reviews on the Lion King http://www.lionkingtickets.net/reviews/. Does anyone know of any other review sites for the Lion King - I'm more interested in non commercial reviews (eg not the guardian, independent etc) and especially those from earlier on in the run?

Thanks!

Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, My Fair Lady
Main Role: Fan
Slight tangent

One afternoon my mum and i were in Canteen, a restaurant right beside the Lyceum

I went down to the loos in the basement and all of a sudden, circle of life (albeit muffled) was blasting through the walls

My most musical toileting experience to date, it was a very pleasant surprise. Didnt realise matinee has just started

Sun May 10, 2015 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]