The Resource For Musicals

The Lion King Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The Lion King Becoming Available For Licensing 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post The Lion King Becoming Available For Licensing
I wonder what it will be like when The Lion King will become available for other people to license and perform. With how popular it is on Broadway, it will probably be a long time. When that day eventually comes when others can do The Lion King, I wonder how schools and theaters will try to do it. Do you think they will try to do their productions differently in their own unique ways, or do you think they will do it like it was done on Broadway (costumes, puppetry, and all)? Some people, myself included, would say that it wouldn't be the same unless it was done like the original production, yet most schools and theaters don't have the budget for all the fancy costumes and technical magic that they used on Broadway. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:03 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: The Lion King Becoming Available For Licensing
Nobody has any thoughts on this topic?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:49 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Jason Robert Brown
Main Role: Director
I think it would be a really really poor idea to try to imitate the costumes and settings of the original production, since it would just looked botched without a good costume designer and a proper training with puppets.
But then again, I rather think that the only interesting things in the Lion King are the costumes, the setting and rafiki.
So I guess it would be better not to do it at all.

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Parade, Big Fish
Main Role: Performer
That would be a HUGE challenge for schools! Not only budget wise, for it would be expensive to afford all those costumes, but the dancing would be challenging. A lot of theatres could pull it off (probably not like on Broadway) with the proper talent and budget, but schools would need a whole lot of rehearsals and (once again mentioning) MONEY!

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
Main Role: Director
The rights for the Lion King Jr. come out January next year, and like all of you I'm very interested to see how they go about it, and if it'll stray hugely from the Broadway version. I'm looking at directing it for our theatre school production next year, although I'm somewhat wary of it, knowing how hit-and-miss these Jr. adaptations have been in the past (ie "Into the Woods" et al)

I might make a separate topic on The Lion King Jr., because I can't seem to find one on here.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]