The Resource For Musicals

The Lion King Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Warthog Rhapsody 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Warthog Rhapsody
This was a song written for the film but was replaced by Hakuna Matata. I happen to like this song better than Hakuna Matata (but nobody really likes that song anyway, right?). I definitely think it should have been added into the stage show, as I think it's a tour de force, both musically and lyrically. Here's a link to the demo, in case anyone here hasn't heard it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6vQ53yjv4. Thoughts?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri May 21, 2010 5:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
I'll listen to the clip later, but my favorite song in the Lion King itself will always be "Be Prepared," although even it can't top Elton John's rendition of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?"

I want the latter to be the first dance song at my wedding.

The anti-Nazi-dictatorship symbolism in the former is brilliant.

Fri May 28, 2010 8:51 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Didn't they use the melody from Warthog Rhapsody in the 3rd Lion King film?
I think the song was called 'That's all I need'?

Sat May 29, 2010 3:06 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
I also prefer Hakuna Matata. I don't like how Warthog Rhapsody focuses solely on Pumba. Simba also gets more time to shine in HM.

Sat May 29, 2010 7:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't like how Warthog Rhapsody focuses solely on Pumba.

Well, so does Hakuna Matata. You don't find out what happened to Timon until they wrote an extra verse for that crappy midquel.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat May 29, 2010 8:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Warthog Rhapsody
They actually already had Timon's verse from the beginning, but they cut it out.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:51 am
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post "Warthog Rhapsody"
Apples2for10 wrote:
("Warthog Rhapsody") was a song written for the film but was replaced by "Hakuna Matata". I happen to like this song better than "Hakuna Matata" (but nobody really likes that song anyway, right?). I definitely think it should have been added into the stage show, as I think it's a tour de force, both musically and lyrically.

"Hakuna Matata" is a better song. "Warthog Rhapsody" is, simply put, second rate, both musically and lyrically. Musically, it sounds like it was churned out by some kind of keyboard programme and the music overpowers the lyrics, which do not sit well on the melody at all. Not that it matters, because the lyrics sound like Tim Rice trying to force words into a programmed melody. There are missed accents all over the place and some of the vocabulary used is so clearly inappropriate to these characters. I'm glad it was not added to the stage show. The stage show is padded with enough sub-par Elton John and Tim Rice songs. None of the new John-Rice material really serves the material well at all: they are not nearly as good as the other additions and none is on par with any of the songs from the film.

superwickedfan33 wrote:
I don't like how Warthog Rhapsody focuses solely on Pumba. Simba also gets more time to shine in "Hakuna Matata".

Precisely. That latter point is what matters: how the song is used to take forward the story of Simba. After all, this is called The Lion King, not The Neverending Saga of Timon and Pumba.

Apples2for10 wrote:
Well, so does "Hakuna Matata". You don't find out what happened to Timon until they wrote an extra verse for that crappy midquel.

One does not need to find out about what happened to Timon for "Hakuna Matata" to function as a narrative building block of the film. The song needs to take the story forward. In the version that was used, this is achieved. It would strain under the weight of an extra verse. Anyway, it is incorrect to say that "Hakuna Matata" focuses solely on Pumba. The song focuses primarily on Simba's journey and the development of the character: Pumba's story is merely a means to that end.

Gwen wrote:
They actually already had Timon's verse from the beginning, but they cut it out.

A good decision, as it was just padding out a point that had already been made. The key thing in this song was to figure out how it related to Simba's journey. What was included in "Hakuna Matata" was enough to do that and enough to take the story forward. "Warthog Rhapsody" does not achieve this and that one of the reasons why "Hakuna Matata" is a better song for The Lion King.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: "Warthog Rhapsody"
RainbowJude wrote:
"Hakuna Matata" is a better song. "Warthog Rhapsody" is, simply put, second rate, both musically and lyrically. Musically, it sounds like it was churned out by some kind of keyboard programme and the music overpowers the lyrics, which do not sit well on the melody at all.

The only existing version of the song is a keyboard/voice demo; if you've heard any of the demos written for Menken and Ashman's Disney scores, they sound exactly the same. What did you expect, bongo drums and a kazoo?

I agree that the music of "Warthog" is the focal point, but that's more of an engineering/mixing issue than an actual flaw in the writing.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:20 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post "Warthog Rhapsody"
Apples2for10 wrote:
The only existing version of the song is a keyboard/voice demo; if you've heard any of the demos written for Menken and Ashman's Disney scores, they sound exactly the same. What did you expect, bongo drums and a kazoo? I agree that the music of "Warthog" is the focal point, but that's more of an engineering/mixing issue than an actual flaw in the writing.

Nope, the song was released on the album Rhythm of the Pride Lands. But even if it hadn't been produced for an album, that would be besides the point: this is not about the arrangement of the music; it is about the music itself being formulaic and predictable. Even worse, the music lacks the energy and momentum required by the song that would need to fill that particular spot in film at that point. It is the writing that is at fault here, not the quality of the recording. As such, the problem with the lyrics is not to do with the mix, but with the fact that they are poorly married to the music. They don't sing, nor do they compel one to listen to what's being said. They're completely flaccid, incapable of moving the narrative along in the way they should.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]