The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Marius played by a female? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Marius played by a female?
So my school is thinking about doing Les Mis as our musical next school year, and I was a little bit worried at first. Five of our strong male singers are graduating this year, leaving us with only two (maybe three) guys who could sing well enough for a musical. We have a very female-heavy drama department. Anyway, I was wondering if a female could be cast as Marius. I love the role, and I'm a contralto with a very strong lower register. My lowest note (that I know of at the moment, I haven't actually measured in a while) is an A2, but I know I can hit even lower. Highest is probably around a C5 in chest. Could I be cast as Marius? My school has gender-bended roles before (not the roles, but cast girls in male roles), so this wouldn't be a new problem for the casting team.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Post Re: Marius played by a female?
Hi, it can definitely be done! I've seen Les Mis staged with an all-female cast before, and because they were so good at music and drama, we simply forgot that the 'men' were actually girls. Valjean was played by a very slight girl with a beautiful soprano voice, who with the right coaching was able to sing convincingly in the baritone register! It was hard work for her, but she managed well.

They HAD originally planned to stage Les Mis as a joint production with the local boys' school, but they pulled out after a month, so the girls simply 'manned up' and covered the trouser roles with great aplomb.

I'm not sure how easily it would work having both male and female in the male roles. You'd have to have some very skilled voice coaching for the males not to out-sing the females in the lower registers. But it certainly COULD work!

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]