The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Stars Vocal Range 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Stars Vocal Range
Hi,

I'm learning to sing and new to music and would like to ask some questions about Stars. I've done some searches on the vocal range required for Stars and in several websites people commented that Javert is required to hit a high F#. Would I be correct in assuming this is the first F# above middle C (i.e. F#4)? There is a lot of commentary also about how Russell Crowe had to hit the high F# for the film adaptation of the musical. Based upon this, I went looking for the sheet music for Stars and expected to see F#4 as the highest note.

My confusion arises when I look at the sheet music for Stars (http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0105428&ref=google). The sheet music at several websites claims clearly shows a range that is much higher than F#4 and claims to be the "original published key". The website lists the vocal range for Stars as B3 - E5. Am I missing something here? I thought the highest note was F#4 not E5? I thought Javert is a baritone or bass-baritone role, yet the first page of the sheet music sits so high on the treble clef that it looks like the sort of music given to the soprano section of a choir. Something is not adding up.

Can someone please help me to understand why I can't find sheet music for Stars with an F#4 high note, despite everyone on the internet and the media commenting on a "high F#" as being the top note Javert has to hit? I really just want to get a copy of the sheet music that doesn't appear to contradict what people have said about the song.

Second question: I used a pitch tuner app to indicate the pitch Russell Crowe hits when singing the last line of Stars on the official soundtrack. I expected to see a F#4, instead the ap tells me Crowe was hitting a B3. I've even mimicked his pitch with my voice and I've verified my pitch as B3. I'm very confused because numerous articles on the internet by people more musically knowledgeable than myself have said that Crowe successfully hit all his notes, including the high F#.

Thank you for your help

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:30 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Stars Vocal Range
No great mystery -- Most musical theatre scoring for male soloists is written with the understanding that the notes in the vocal line will be sung one octave lower than written. I'm not one who could begin to tell you why, but I do know that it can be a little disconcerting for those with a classical background.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

The highest note in "Stars" is an E, not an F-sharp. The F-sharp comes at the end of "Javert's Suicide."

And as Thom mentioned, musical theatre material written for males in the treble clef operates under the assumption that the singer will sing it an octave lower than is actually written.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you so your replies, that really clarifies. I'm surprised that on the website they don't put a little "8" under the treble clef to indicate to sing an octave lower, as that would be the standard notation.

Also the other thing I noticed is that the lyrics on the first page of that link were different ("Fallen from grace, fallen from grace" vs "Fallen from God, fallen from grace"). Must be multiple versions of the song.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]