The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Eponine Audition on April 13! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Eponine Audition on April 13!
Dear "Les Miserables" Fans,

I'm going to audition for the role of Eponine on April 13, and I need at least one suggestion, with regards to a good audition song. I am, of course, going to be able to sing "On My Own" and "A Little Fall of Rain".

The following are my stats:

AGE (CHRONOLOGICAL): 34, but I look at least 10 years younger than I am, if not 15...
AGE (CAN APPEAR TO BE): 12-18 (?)
RACE: Caucasian
HAIR: Dark Blonde/ Light Brown (My stylist calls it "Muted Auburn")
EYES: Brown
HEIGHT: About 5 Ft.
WEIGHT: 118-120 Lbs.
FIGURE: Sort of a pear, actually, but I need to lose weight, as I have a bit of a double chin right now...ACK! I don't have much of a chest, but I have more of a chest than I had when I weighed less...
VOCAL RANGE: I haven't sung in awhile, but, these days, I seem to be an Alto/ Soprano of some kind.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8-)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Eponine Audition on April 13!
So it seems you're a mezzo soprano ?
You can check here : http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/ ... ocalrg.htm

If you want a real advice, sing something you know very well and you love singing.
Don't try to impress, "just" try to express what the lyrics say, without doing too much.
Less is more.

Don't say that you relate to Eponine so much blah-blah-blah. Just say that you think she is one of the most interesting character in the show.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Don't confuse vocal part, range, and whatever those charts are trying to show (i'm guessing commonly-written song ranges for the various vocal parts). Range is usually correlated to your vocal part, but not necessarily, and the less trained you are, the more likely there is to be a divergence. Your actual vocal part is determined by a number of factors, primarily timbre (the sound "texture" of your voice), the placement of your passaggio (at what pitch you shift vocal register), and your tessitura (the range of your greatest natural power and comfort). I've known many, many singers who ended up belonging to a different voice class (almost always higher) than they'd sung in for years, once they wecame properly trained to sufficiently produce the notes in the range that most closely fit their instrument.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:47 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear Gargamel and Rorgg,

Tahnk you for the advice!

8-)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You're welcome, but you do realize that "thanks in advance" is something you say in advance of (i.e., before) getting the help requested?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear "Les Miserables" Fans,

Oh, I know, Rorgg, but that phrase is just a phrase that I add to ALL of my messages.

Anyway, I have chosen "Love, Look Away" (From "Flower Drum Song"), and "If I Can't Have You" (From "Saturday Night Fever") as my audition songs. What do you think? Are those songs Eponine-esque enough?

:?:

Rorgg wrote:
You're welcome, but you do realize that "thanks in advance" is something you say in advance of (i.e., before) getting the help requested?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Rorgg wrote:
Don't confuse vocal part, range, and whatever those charts are trying to show (i'm guessing commonly-written song ranges for the various vocal parts). Range is usually correlated to your vocal part, but not necessarily, and the less trained you are, the more likely there is to be a divergence. Your actual vocal part is determined by a number of factors, primarily timbre (the sound "texture" of your voice), the placement of your passaggio (at what pitch you shift vocal register), and your tessitura (the range of your greatest natural power and comfort). I've known many, many singers who ended up belonging to a different voice class (almost always higher) than they'd sung in for years, once they wecame properly trained to sufficiently produce the notes in the range that most closely fit their instrument.

That is absolutely true.
I started as a bass, and then as a bass-baritone, and now, I found myself thinking that maybe I'm a lighter baritone than I thought... :think:

But don't force yourself, it can be dangerous for your voice. Sing at the range that is comfortable for you. And if not the case yet, take some advices from a trained voice teacher.
Singing is not something you can learn "on your own"... :lol:

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Gargamel wrote:
But don't force yourself, it can be dangerous for your voice. Sing at the range that is comfortable for you. And if not the case yet, take some advices from a trained voice teacher.
Singing is not something you can learn "on your own"... :lol:

^ This. About 1000 times over. It is so easy to unwittingly do permanent damage to your voice without proper training.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Gargamel wrote:
I started as a bass, and then as a bass-baritone

Pedantic niggling here: While "bass-baritone" is often used colloquially to refer to a low baritone, the more technical definition is a bass who can comfortably sing in a baritonal tessitura... such as the Hoherbass fach, which falls into the bass family, not the baritone.

Thus, bass to bass-baritone is almost the textbook start of the process I was describing. The vocal timbre and other determining factors don't change, but the range extends to allow for properly singing in the upper parts of a bass range. I fall into this category myself.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]