The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Orchestration Questions 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Orchestration Questions
HI EVERYBODY,

could either Flynn (who started thist thread) OR ANYONE ELSE P L E A S E help me the following issue????

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a music teacher planning a performance of "Do you hear the people sing" with my students, I was researching on the Internet looking for an orchestral score of this song, and came across this forum and the discussion entitled "Orchestration Questions" that you initiated back in 2013. In your initial post, you mentioned that you "recently managed to get a hold of a few different copies of the complete score". As I've plowed through the entire internet trying to get access to this music, you can imagine how intrigued I was by this statement. Would you be willing to share with a fellow enthusiast and good-willing music-lover, HOW you managed to get a hold of these scores??? Or - better yet - would there be any way of me being able to get access to your documents i. e. would you be willing to share your commodity for the sake of Music and Love and Peace and everything else??? I would be particularly delighted by the Finale files because I work with Finale myself, but any other format, even handwritten as in the scans that follow further down in the thread, would be a help!

As you can imagine, I would be extremely thankful for your help. I personally find it very odd how the scores of these pieces are kept "under cover" - if you want to perform a Symphony by Beethoven, you can just go and buy the score, why can't it be like that with Musicals, too? I know, there's the whole issue of royalties and so on - but it's not like people wouldn't be willing to pay for it! - Anyways, getting back to my question, I can only repeat how incredibly grateful I would be for your support!

Waiting eagerly for your reply :mrgreen:

mas888

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:06 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Orchestration Questions
Old thread. Anyone want to pick it back up? I remember having tons of fun discussing orchestration with you guys. Since a few years have passed, I have gotten access to more materials and hopefully could provide more insight!

I'll start by picking up where we left off with recorders used in OFC and 25th Anniversary. We now have confirmation that real recorders were indeed used in the 25th anniversary orchestration by Christopher Jahnke (see below). The keyboards do not play with them. Also note that alto recorders are in F (transposing), the score is in concert pitch.

I guess it's hard to start conversation again, so I'll start with a question:
1) What do you think of the new Jahnke orchestration vs. the old Cameron orchestration?

Some things to think about:
[*] Jahnke's orchestration is much smaller, but sounds louder, how and why?
[*] Are there songs or parts of the musical that work better with the new orchestration or vice-versa?
[*] Are there parts of the musical you wish were orchestrated a certain way?
[*] With Jahnke's new orchestration, the musical is cut even shorter, but is it for the better or worse?

In my understanding, nowhere in the world is John Cameron's orchestration still being used, except for the School Edition (if you count that). Why do you think the producers decide to change this? This change also means hiring and firing musicians from the show while the show is still on (West End Production)! What do you guys think of this?

I hope this thread picks back up!

(P.S. I already pm'ed mas888)

Sat May 14, 2016 2:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3