The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Barks' Eponine encourages Anorexics! (Slight rant) 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Barks' Eponine encourages Anorexics! (Slight rant)
Dear "Les Mis" Fans,

I just learned that Samantha Barks, who portrays Eponine in the movie version of the musical, worked out like a madwoman, and went on a diet, in order to look like a waif. Everybody is so amazed by her tiny waist, but I'M thinking that she had to have had Double D-sized boobs in order to still HAVE much in the way of boobs after losing that much weight.

The entire situations strongly tempts me to return to my 78 pound college Freshman status, although I don't know how much Samantha Barks weighed when "Les Mis" was shot. She COULDN'T have weighed 78 pounds, or 69, or anything like THAT, right? I'm going to find out EXACTLY how much she weighed as Eponine, and I might try to lose enough weight so that I can weigh that little...if I can slap myself on each occasion that I spy a cookie, or a piece of candy, or a potato chip, or a cracker...oh, food lust, thou WILT destroy me!

I probably shouldn't try to get down to 78 pounds at almost 34 years of age, because, in MY case, I'D be tempted to get down to a LOWER number, like 67 (That's a favorite number of mine, although I don't know if waif-like waist compliments are worth loosing hair in the shower...again...and I don't know that I'd like to be completely "boobless"...I also don't know that I'd want to be so starvingly thin again that two bites of food would make me feel as though I was about to toss my cookies...)

As stupid as it sounds, I gained weight in order to look pregnant (pregnancy was in style), AND because belly-baring was in style, and all of the belly-baring women from my town were overweight; I saw the pudgy tummy as being sexy, but I don't look sexy anymore.

I'm just feeling bitter, because I never believed that I could be overweight, and now, I can't get away from YouTube for a long enough time to destroy my mortal enemy...The Double Chin! I ONLY weigh 120 pounds, but I'm ONLY about 5 feet tall right now, and it's customary for me to eat only a meal or two each day, anyway. I am in love with music, and, thus, the computer is practically a permanent I.V. line to me. I need an iPod...NOW!

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:45 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Barks' Eponine encourages Anorexics! (Slight rant)
Erm...it's called a corset. While she is obviously on the thin side, Samantha Barks' waist is that tiny in the film, because she's wearing a corset. Do not attempt to re-create what a corset will do to one's figure without use of a corset. You will no longer have internal organs. Some doctors have told me that one needs those to live.

But seriously, don't worry about what actors may or not need to do to look the way they do on screen/stage. If you really do need to go on some sort of weight loss regimen for medical reasons, speak to a nutritional consultant before doing so, and if you have the kinds of issues with your body image that that post seems to indicate, please seek help.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:45 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well considering she's a starving pauper on the streets of 19th-century Paris, I'd say it shows how unfortunate Eponine was, rather than glorifying anorexia...

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

In no way did the film encourage anorexia. She is a girl who's poor and struggles to survive on the bare minimum. Why wouldn't she be incredibly thin?

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

And to think when she was first cast in the role, someone on Broadwayworld accused her of being too fat! :roll:

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear Vanessa20,

They did? What the... :shock:

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Vanessa20 wrote:
And to think when she was first cast in the role, someone on Broadwayworld accused her of being too fat! :roll:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, someone did.

Of course they hadn't seen her in a corset. I guess they were just thinking of her round face and not the rest of her. But still... :?

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear "Les Mis" Fans,

I just recently read about Samantha Barks' Eponine corset. OOPS! I feel slightly silly for thinking that her waist might really be THAT small, and, besides, everybody's online surprise, with regards to her waist, is more along the lines of "My God, but she looks unhealthy as Hell!", rather than "OMG! How can I have a waist like hers?".

I guess that, in a way, I had my "sexy waist" hayday at Samantha Barks' age, because I was about 85 (?) pounds when I was 22, or so. I kind of wondered how her boobs could look so normal if she'd really lost all THAT much weight...If she'd REALLY lost tons and tons of weight, her chest would have disappeared...

8-)

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Point is, her extremely slim figure is attributed to her being poor; not sure how that's desirable in any way...

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT necessarily endorse dysfunctional behavior, self-destructive behavior, or suicide. America seems to...

I realize that Eponine is being portrayed as poor and unfortunate, but I also know that while Eponine's culture glorified curvaciousness, OUR culture glorifies wafer thin women, women who harm themselves, and women who cause useless catfights and drama. Like it or not, that neighborhood Anorexic WILL get more attention than her next door neighbor, who DIDN'T have to skip high school graduation in order to be hooked up to an I.V. and life support. That is just the way of the world, and 'twill ALWAYS be thus, as long as America is America!

You see, women all around us may well performing wonderful acts of good health and strength, but America will NEVER (or, at least, RARELY) acknowledge ANYTHING except the image of the self-destructive woman, and that is the unwritten law of American society. Sorry, but the fight trumps philanthropy. The ambulance's siren drowns out the cheers for a reform movement. The woman who throws herself onto the pavement of some lonely street gets more press coverage than an important local woman who dies.

America teaches her women many lessons: 1. Be loud, cruel, and dysfuctional during your lives. 2. Be self-destructive, and you'll be rewarded by somebody, somewhere...because, unless you're dysfunctional messes of women, whose lives are nothing but Hell, OTHER women will NEVER, EVER relate to you, and they'll accuse you of having never suffered. 3. You must make certain that your death is one heck of a tragic, monumental, outrageous spectacle, so that you will never be forgotten; said death is more successful if you're younger!

I did NOT create the aforementioned social laws, and I did NOT form my opinions within a vaccum, either. Look at the facts. The coverage of Princess Diana's death trumped the coverage of Mother Teresa's death by 150%! People only seem to care about what Michele Obama WEARS, and yet, they can recite practically every word that Kim Kardashian SAYS. The most popular movies, plays, etc., all have something to do with self-destructive women, and/ or women who kill themselves/ get killed (Most people's favorite female characters are those like Juliet, Ophelia, Eponine, etc.). "Jerry Springer" has been around since 1990, or so. America is currently OBSESSED with women who commit murder; we have eaten up the trial coverage of women like Casey Anthony, etc. America makes such a big deal out of Anorexia, cutting, etc., that women who had never WANTED to be self-destructive begin to feel as though THEY must be STRANGE, and that they SHOULD be self-destructive, in order to be "normal" women.

*** BASIC IDEA: When America's reaction to cruel, self-destructive, suicidal women can be likened to the wonderment that one expresses at a Disneyland pyrotechnics show ( "Wow! Look at how THIN she is!"/ "Did you see the coverage of her DEATH? Wasn't THAT wild?"/ "Wait a minute! I wish that I could see that footage again, so that I could see exactly how many TIMES she cut her wrist!"/ "OMG! She dropped out of school to have her PROFESSOR'S baby? Wow! Wonder what she'll NAME the kid..."/ "Did you SEE how she punched that *blankety blank blank* piece of trash? THAT'S gonna be eligible for stitches, no DOUBT! She's really COOL, to be able to practically smash that other woman's FACE! She really taught HER a lesson!") , then it's no WONDER that so many average women want to be what is, in actuality, abnormal; they reason that if strange self-destructiveness brings a woman such a cool reaction from society, then being self-destructive must be bad in a good way.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:28 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Oh..... :eh:

So your point is "As Americans cultivate the cult of the so-called perfect body, the Brits should have made Eponine in the movie chubby, even if she is supposed to be starving to death, in order not to encourage anorexia in America" ? :problem:

If that is how real life is in America, then I'm a very proud non-American.
But fortunately, my intuition tells me that there's something more in the equation here... :shh:

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:37 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Erm...I'm not going to argue that there are major problems with how women are often portrayed in popular American media (see awesome sites like Jezebel, The Mary Sue, and Women in Refrigerators [an oldie, since the writer started working professionally, archived here: http://lby3.com/wir/ ] for some excellent posts on the topic by women who are far better writers than I on the subject), but the Les Mis movie may not be the wisest of targets. As Gargamel mentioned, it's about being poor; part of being poor is malnutrition; part of malnutrition involves being very skinny. I'm sorry that Samantha Barks didn't get a breast reduction for the film to really drive the point of her character's stick figure home, but since she's young and just starting her career, she may not have considered severe body-altering surgery the wisest course of actions for her future prospects.

As for the rant specifically targeting the American media, you may want to branch out a bit and realize that the glorification of body types that can only be achieved through eating disorders is not exclusively an American problem. A quick flip through, say...Vogue Italia at your local Barnes & Noble should put that issue to rest fairly quickly. The world at large is no more enlightened than we are (at least I'm assuming you're from America; very few fly mindlessly off the cuff at her in a public forum like we do) -- no less, mind you, but no more.

I guess I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do, and as I said, you're right that popular media at large can have a nasty effect on the psyche, which can easily be taken out on the body, but for all of my problems with the Les Mis film, I really don't feel that a glorification of anorexia or bulimia is one of them.

- Th. <== (An American who proudly proclaims among his great female role models Wonder Woman, Storm, Buffy Summers, Ellen Ripley, the great pioneering women serving as priests and bishops in the Episcopal Church, and his mom, who served proudly as a civilian for the US Army in Saigon just after the Tet Offensive and kicks ass to this day.)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next