The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
How were you introduced to Les Miserables? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: How were you introduced to Les Miserables?
My father fell in love with the book after reading it in high school, and worked 2 jobs to be able to have enough money for us both to see the show together in Canada in 1998. I didn't disappoint him. I loved it. It was in 1998 Colm Wilkinson was in Toronto playing Valjean, and he was truly remarkable. Of course, I didn't know him as Colm Wilkinson then, I knew him as "The prisoner who really wants someone to bring that dead guy home". Yes, I was an impressionable 13 year old boy. Anyhow, I started listening to older recordings of the show, as well as the TAC (which I wish I had known existed back when it was on TV!!), and I began to like the show. It's the running joke in my family that whenever there is a production of Les Mis in the tri-state area I have to be informed of it.

I played Javert in a high school production and was/is the only Javert in my school's history to jump off a balcony in Javert's Suicide. Since my almost 20-foot jump that had parents falling out of their seats, a sign has been added that reads "ABSOLUTELY NO JUMPING!" and no Javert has been allowed to try it since.

(I'm new, can't I brag just once?) :D

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
A girl in my high school drama class was a massive fan, and kept persisting that I see it. So I checked out the Original Broadway Cast and rented the 25th Anniversary concert (which I watched a portion of when it was playing on PBS). I liked it well enough (preferred the Broadway cast) but didn't really get into it until a few months later when I watched the 10th anniversary and purchased the CSR, both of which solidified my love of the show.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was introduced to it in my first year of my new high school chorale. We sang an incredible rendition of ""One Day More" and "Do you hear the people sing" and I was just so awed by the music. This might sound cheesy but singing those songs on stage especially "One Day More" was very special and I still get chills remembering it.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

My grandpa talked to me and said that my mom really liked it a couple of years ago. When the Twentyfifth Anniversery came out my mom watched it. I had no idea what was going on. I went to see the 2012 film (wich is awesome) and I loved it. Now, I love the 2012 version, the Twenty Fifth Annivery, and the TAC and own the novel. :D

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:56 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Michael Ball!
Main Role: Producer
Word of mouth. I'd known about Les Miserables since my musical obsession began almost three years ago, but I never thought much of it. I was too busy listening to my Phantom 2004 CDs to really care about some pop opera about the French. One night, before a long, long bus ride (14 hours) I decided to purchase the 25th anniversary cast album on iTunes. The next morning on the bus I popped in my headphones, pressed the play button and from those first few brass punches I was hooked. :)

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:23 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Catch Me If You Can
Main Role: Performer
Mom played it when we were kids..I was disappointed when I couldn't sing "Castle on a Cloud" as a kid for music festival. So I sang little people instead!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Cats
Main Role: Costume Designer
In high school we had to read the book, I think :? and we also had to watch the movie that was out at that time, so the old one. This was in like 2007 or 8.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:09 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Grew up with it as my parents just love it.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3