The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Who's your Favourite Valjean? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Who's your Favourite Valjean?
Quote:
B.S. it isn't hard to detect anything, Alfie is one of the most facially expressive Valjeans. You people always say he isn't expressive because you want to come with a reason to like him less then Colm. I don't understand why no one can see the HUGE amounts of expression he uses

No need to call my opinion B.S. if you disagree with it. I didn't mean that Alfie doesn't use any expressions, they just seem to be limited to angry/frustrated and sad/prayerful. They worked well for the prologue, most of his interactions with Javert and with Bring Him Home. I just found that his expressions didn't work for the rest of the show. That's just my opinion though. Feel free to disagree with it.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:19 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
costerluver wrote:
Quote:
B.S. it isn't hard to detect anything, Alfie is one of the most facially expressive Valjeans. You people always say he isn't expressive because you want to come with a reason to like him less then Colm. I don't understand why no one can see the HUGE amounts of expression he uses

No need to call my opinion B.S. if you disagree with it. I didn't mean that Alfie doesn't use any expressions, they just seem to be limited to angry/frustrated and sad/prayerful. They worked well for the prologue, most of his interactions with Javert and with Bring Him Home. I just found that his expressions didn't work for the rest of the show. That's just my opinion though. Feel free to disagree with it.

Yeah I'm sorry man, sometimes I forget that my tone doesn't come across in text #-o I didn't me to insult you, or make you think that I was discounting your opinion. I don't agree with you but I certainly didn't mean to insult, although when I read what I said it did sound like that. Sorry again

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Don't worry about it. I appreciate the apology and I'm sure you didn't mean to come across as insulting.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:21 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I knew there was a reason why Dudu Fischer's Hebrew BHH always gave me shivers. Thanks to the OP for the background.

And I need to listen to more Craig Schulman. I only ever heard him on the TAC...and he didn't really strike my fancy. Must have been an off day...

Anyway, I have yet to see this one live as I live in Toronto and there hasn't been a local production since before I was born, I think. However, they ARE bringing the 25th anniversary show to the Royal Alex in the near future, and even though there's been a ton of talk about Ramin Karimloo playing Valjean again, I firmly place my money on Brent Carver. I'm willing to bet good money that Carver would make a grown man ball like a baby as Valjean. This is his rendition of Pilate in JCS (at 1:08):

30 seconds of pure awesome XD

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

To me, Colm IS Valjean. Easy answer!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 am

no one is better than Colm.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

God, Colm is one of the worst Valjeans I've seen.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Colm Wilkinson will forever be my #1 Valjean (like many other fans, I'm sure!). That's not to say that I haven't heard other great Valjeans, though.

I thought Gary Morris from the CSR and 1st NT was actually pretty good for someone who is really a country singer. Although, that may mainly be because his interpretation of Valjean reminded me a lot of Colm's...hmmmm.

Alfie Boe did a wonderful job in the 25th Anniversary Concert, too. His voice is rather different from Colm Wilkinson's, but I think that's why I liked him. His voice has more of a dignified (for lack of a better term) sound to it that I thought brought an interesting depth to an already multi-faceted character.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Was listening to tracks from my 1995 Broadway audience boot featuring Craig Schulman as Valjean, and am once again reminded just how mediocre these "reinventions" of today actually are, when he completely infused the role and the whole show, for that matter, with a freshness unlike any other attempted since, thanks to his beautifully nuanced performance and stellar, heartfelt acting. And that voice. He wasn't dubbed "chords or steel" for nothing!

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Miss Saigon
Colm Wilkonson, Alfie Boe, and the one who did Valjean in the symphonic recording.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

BwayJuvinile wrote:
God, Colm is one of the worst Valjeans I've seen.

What a minority opinion, care to explain?! He's the original and a very talented guy. Did you grow up listening to the travesty that is Gary Morris' performance on CSR or something?? :wtf:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:51 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I've only seen Dudu Fisher and Colm Wilkinson live so I really shouldn't make judgements but I find that Boe has the best voice (singing), while JOJ has the most emotion (his Confrontation for example). But everyone tries to portray Valjean. Alfie Boe plays Valjean. JOJ plays Valjean. Colm Wilkinson is Valjean.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next