The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Original Parallels article from 2000 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Original Parallels article from 2000
It would be very interesting to do so...
It would also be interesting to compare orchestrations. For example, I think electric guitars are gone since the 1980 show (Quique will answer me in seconds !).
I particulary love it's use for Javert.

But it's a huge job ! :P

And we could end with quite different analysis compared to the English rewrited show...

The example you gave with "La misère" (misery) linked to the musical theme throughout the show sang by different carracters, ending (and culminating) with "La lumière" (light) when Valjean dies is quite revelant on how deep the music and the lyrics are.
The Marius and Eponie reprise of "La misère" is probably the best part of the show. I was just in awe when I discovered it !

I think Les Misérables is quite unique among musicals for it's use of leitmotives...

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:37 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Even if it's accurate, I've never liked people's generalizing of John Cameron's original 1980 orchestration for the French album and arena production as being "a lot more rock opera" in style. It's a problem because it usually ends there without further insight or exploration. And you know how I am when it comes to shrugging one's shoulders at orchestration and music in a MUSICAL. :twisted:

The electric guitar part is very prominent in John's 1980 orchestration but like his 1985, and even more, 1987 work show, his knack for adding loads of atmosphere and surrealism in the music is a feature of both and it sucks the most identifiable instrument is the immediate focus.

Just to be clear, this is a mini-rant inspired by the mention of an electric guitar in a previous post by another member and NOT a rant against the thoughts in a post by a previous member. Thought I'd clarify that since I notice I tend to seem to be responding to the posts above mine and addressing their points when I'm not and even agree or am not angered at anything they actually said. This post could reasonably be interpreted as being suggestive of Gargamel's approach to orchestration and being simplistic in only posting about the most obvious element of John's 1980 work.

NOT at all. I like Gargie and I'm in agreement with what was said and the sparking off of the above is not aimed at anyone here. I love you all!!!!!!!!

*Big WET French kiss to everyone*

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Quique wrote:
NOT at all. I like Gargie and I'm in agreement with what was said and the sparking off of the above is not aimed at anyone here. I love you all!!!!!!!!

:o You called me Gargie ... Image

and about the "Rock opera" feeling of the 1980 orchestration... I don't know how an orchestra that includes 15 string instuments (guitars asside), a harp and a brass section of 6 muscians can be qualified "rock"... Only 4 over 28 musicians in the pit could be qualified as "rock" : Synth, guitar, bass and drums.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:10 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
I know. And I agree. That's why it gets on my nerves when people hear the pronounced electric guitar in the French original and say "ROCK OPERA!!!" :roll:

The presence of the many other instruments AND the general style points toward a different direction but people always go for the simplistic, on the surface, obvious elements.

I included what I said in the latter half (including my lovable French kiss) of my above babble because I was worried you'd think I was sarcastically taking a jab at you. And I wasn't.

At this point, I've effectively blurred the lines between instances when I mean to be sarcastic and instances where I'm being playful since I tend to be both playful and sarcastic when I'm happy/sad/angry/bored/blah,blah,blah. :lol:

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:18 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In fact, the electric guitar is used to make a contrast : Javert arrival, donnez donnez, etc. and it's not used that much I think in "classical" musicals
That's why people scream "Rock Opera" !

in another thread, you said that this musical could be closer to an opera. In fact, I would say an operetta. It is quite lyrical at some points, but also sounds "pop" on others. And most of the time, there's songs, and no "arias".
Whats makes it like an operetta to me, is also the constant use of reminiscences of different songs. But what makes it like an opera is the use of leitmotives.

I think that the use of leitmotives as heard in operas was even more developed in the 1980 version. which makes it more "classical music"
-> more classical, more rock-opera. Wagner or Andrew Lloyd Webber. You decide. :lol: (or maybe it's both?)

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think the electric guitars are fine: especially for the police theme, but the synthesizer which appears in a few places on "The Complete Symphonic Recording" is so out of place that it makes me want to break windows.

Quote:
It's hard to see any connection between the Bishop and Marius' tribute to his fallen friends
I think the connection is the Biblical New Testament parallels both scenes are making. The Bishop is inviting the poor to his supper, (Luke 14:13) and then Marius's lament is a parallel to the Last Supper.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:54 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

To me, both Valjean Forgiven and ECAET are about brotherhood.

BenMcLean wrote:
I think the electric guitars are fine: especially for the police theme, but the synthesizer which appears in a few places on "The Complete Symphonic Recording" is so out of place that it makes me want to break windows.

Quote:
It's hard to see any connection between the Bishop and Marius' tribute to his fallen friends
I think the connection is the Biblical New Testament parallels both scenes are making. The Bishop is inviting the poor to his supper, (Luke 14:13) and then Marius's lament is a parallel to the Last Supper.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2