The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 140  Next
Les Mis Movie 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Les Mis Movie
Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
And to be honest, I'm glad they didn't include any references to 1848 in the final scene. Seeing a now brunette Cosette standing side by side with dead people on a gigantic barricade-noone can tell me that audiences would get that.

I mostly agree with this. My only regret is that now we don't see Marius continuing to take part in the fight for freedom. As I've mentioned, some people on certain boards have been labeling him a poseur who sells out on his ideals in the end by going back to a bourgeois life. It hasn't sat well with everyone that the movie gives him new revolutionary fervor, yet keeps his original fate from the book. I kind of wish we had proof that reconciling with his grandfather doesn't equal "selling out."

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

interesting article in saturday daily mail by Herbert Kretzmer
thank youfor all the really interesting posts

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Vanessa20 wrote:
Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
And to be honest, I'm glad they didn't include any references to 1848 in the final scene. Seeing a now brunette Cosette standing side by side with dead people on a gigantic barricade-noone can tell me that audiences would get that.

I mostly agree with this. My only regret is that now we don't see Marius continuing to take part in the fight for freedom. As I've mentioned, some people on certain boards have been labeling him a poseur who sells out on his ideals in the end by going back to a bourgeois life. It hasn't sat well with everyone that the movie gives him new revolutionary fervor, yet keeps his original fate from the book. I kind of wish we had proof that reconciling with his grandfather doesn't equal "selling out."

1848 is and was a bad idea for declaring the triumph of the people at last (better know your history). And well, Marius...I dunno how many youngsters at 20 wanted to change the world and several years later they only change their model of expensive car. ;) I prefered that their future is kept vague. Yes that did produce Kalpakian's "Cosette" and lots of bad fic but their story is finished in the sense of the novel.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Here's the link to the Kretzmer article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paign=1490

I'm glad that he clears up one story that's always confused me. I'd read from some sources that "The Glums" was the original cast's nickname for the show, and from other sources that it was a nickname bestowed by a disparaging critic. I thought those two stories were contradictory.

The true story? Both! By coincidence!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just saw it in IMAX last night!

I don’t recommend seeing it that way. I don’t discourage it, but I don’t recommend it. The experience didn’t feel different enough from seeing it in a regular theatre to be really worth the extra money. Besides, the shaky handheld camerawork feels absolutely dizzying on an IMAX screen – for the first time out of six viewings it made me uncomfortable.

That said, I still enjoyed the movie. So did my friend who went with me, who normally hates musicals.

Random comments…

*I like how they handle the fight in the factory: the Factory Girl calling for the Foreman and Fantine grabbing her, covering her mouth, etc, but then instantly panicking and letting her go when “the Mayor” walks in. I like that they don’t resort to stereotypical catfight business (slapping, hair-pulling, trying to lunge at each other after being pulled apart, etc.). For that matter, I like Kate Fleetwood’s Factory Girl in general. An ordinary, respectably dressed woman, homelier than Fantine and thus believably jealous, and nasty yet subtle enough about it that her getting away with it feels convincing. As a characterization it feels more real than the (admittedly effective) blatantly slutty Alpha Bitch played by Jackie Marks in the TAC. I think the same can also be said about Michael Jibson’s quietly smug jerk of a Foreman, compared to Michael McCarthy’s bellowing sexual predator.

*It's funny... I'm not in love with Hugh's singing. A lot of the time I consider it mediocre. But whenever I hear anyone else say so, my instinct is to leap to his defense. That's how much his acting has won me over. I wouldn't trade the number of times he makes me want to hug Valjean for all the vocal gold in the world.

*Whether you love or hate the intense close-ups, it’s kind of fun to be able to memorize every actor’s eye color. I’ve never been able to do that in a movie before. Hugh’s eyes are hazel, Russell’s are blue, Anne’s eternally wet, mournful eyes are brown... Eddie’s are green, Amanda’s are blue-green (how cute that Marius and Cosette sort of match!).... Aaron’s are blue, befitting the angel of revolution that he is... both Thénardiers have brown eyes, as does their “daughter” Samantha... and both Isabelle Allen and Daniel Huttlestone’s eyes are very blue, Isabelle’s as we know from the poster, Daniel’s as we know from the eerie close-ups of Gavroche’s lifelessly staring corpse.

*By the way, who is that trying to climb the wall into the garden toward the end of “Attack on Rue Plumet”? Over on Abaisse they’re convinced it’s Marius, but I thought Marius had already left. I assumed it was Montparnasse or one of the other gang members.

*I still squee inside when Colm appears as the Bishop. And when Enjolras first appears, just because Aaron so physically embodies the part.

*Once again the audience applauded at the end. Out of all 6 showings I’ve seen now, only #4 didn’t get applause, and that was on a Sunday morning in a small neighborhood theatre with maybe 10 people in the audience. It’s funny: if you look at certain websites, especially the ones that involve professional critics, you’d think ¾ of audiences hated the movie, yet nearly everyone I know seems to love it.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Envious of you lot seeing it at the cinema - I'm housebound with cellulitis/ulcerated legs at the mo... desperately waiting for the Blu or for it to be available to stream... legally.

I'll GLADLY pay about £6-7 to stream it!

Universal have dropped the ball on this one - it's already available on torrents...

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:12 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

A very precious piece of recollection. But Herbert was obviously unaware of a fan much nearer to him than the Canadian chaplain who’d seen the Broadway stage show 87 times. Could someone here tell him that a British/Welsh lady [a contributor here?] has seen the West End stage show for over 500 times!?

Vanessa20 wrote:

I'm glad that he clears up one story that's always confused me. I'd read from some sources that "The Glums" was the original cast's nickname for the show, and from other sources that it was a nickname bestowed by a disparaging critic. I thought those two stories were contradictory.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
jdeng wrote:
A very precious piece of recollection. But Herbert was obviously unaware of a fan much nearer to him than the Canadian chaplain who’d seen the Broadway stage show 87 times. Could someone here tell him that a British/Welsh lady [a contributor here?] has seen the West End stage show for over 500 times!?

Vanessa20 wrote:

500 TIMES??? :shock:
If there's another Welsh person on here, I'll eat my hat. We're not exactly the biggest country in the world...

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:53 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
You've never heard of the Dalton sisters?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 90087.html

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Let The Dream Begin wrote:
If there's another Welsh person on here, I'll eat my hat. We're not exactly the biggest country in the world...

Ahem. Rwy'n Cymraeg hefyd, so I'd prepare to eat that hat if I were you. ;)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
Moci wrote:
Let The Dream Begin wrote:

Ahem. Rwy'n Cymraeg hefyd, so I'd prepare to eat that hat if I were you. ;)

Felly mae'n lwcus os rydw i'n cael het siocled!
Wow, I never thought I'd find another Welsh person on here!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

The Very Angry Woman wrote:
You've never heard of the Dalton sisters?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 90087.html

I actually met Sue and Joanne in 1996 during one of their trips over to see Les Mis in London. I still remember having dinner with them afterwards and going back to their room at the Royal National Hotel for a chat afterwards. :o

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 140  Next