The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 140  Next
Les Mis Movie 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Les Mis Movie
Vanessa20 wrote:
Just got back from my fifth viewing. Loved it once again! :D

I'm going again on Sunday. Can't get enough! :D

FIFTH!?! AND GOING AGAIN!?!?

Wow

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, I'm a little obsessive.

Besides, I have friends who haven't seen it yet and want to see it with me.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:40 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

That's great.

I really liked the movie. But I don't think I could sit through it six times in the theaters.

Props

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

AM afraid to admit have now been twice to see the film. The 2nd time was better than first and found it very emotional despite knowing sad bits still cried again as did woman next to me. Felt the movie helped you engage fully in movie. The ony fault I found was Javert .Earl Carpenter would have knocked spots of Crowe.He ruined his suicide song no passion, why in dress uniform? would have liked to heard all of the students drinking song.Think Hugh Jackman did quite well on the whole but the singing didnt quite cut it. Thrilled to see Colm Wilkinson it best Javert ever next to Owen Jones and Boe . Wish Jones or Boe where in movie as Javert but can understand that a box office name needed.
The sound singing live great. Photography and :D scenery etc great.
Felt more engaged with film then stage show though before I went would have said opposite! saw it on special extended screen amazing.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
lap22 wrote:
AM afraid to admit have now been twice to see the film. The 2nd time was better than first and found it very emotional despite knowing sad bits still cried again as did woman next to me. Felt the movie helped you engage fully in movie. The ony fault I found was Javert .Earl Carpenter would have knocked spots of Crowe.He ruined his suicide song no passion, why in dress uniform? would have liked to heard all of the students drinking song.Think Hugh Jackman did quite well on the whole but the singing didnt quite cut it. Thrilled to see Colm Wilkinson it best Javert ever next to Owen Jones and Boe . Wish Jones or Boe where in movie as Javert but can understand that a box office name needed.
The sound singing live great. Photography and :D scenery etc great.
Felt more engaged with film then stage show though before I went would have said opposite! saw it on special extended screen amazing.

THANK YOU, I felt like I was the only one REALLY missing Earl in the film. Having said that, I just saw him in phantom and he was phenomenal...
I don't mean to sound condescending AT ALL (believe me, the first time I saw Les Mis I was clueless as to who was who), but don't you mean Colm Wilkinson was the best VALJEAN, not Javert?
I apologise for my nit-picky mizziness :D

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

:oops: yes you are right I did mean that glad you though the same. Ann hathaway had me sobbing twice and as for the end 2 tissue job.
Earl carpenter an amazing singer/actor glad you think so too, ah to see him in phantom ..... take we could be come carpenter carnations well if i can be an alfies arrow.....

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:28 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I found the time this week to think about it a bit more and to read the script for comparison. I need to state that I love Les Mis since I was 14. Seen it on stage 6 times. Read the book almost twice a year. Parts of it even more times and know them by heart. The amount of things I collected about it is almost ridiculous (and I keep looking for them). Although my enthusiasm for it was quite low between 2005-10 it never died out completely. The 25th Anniversary and the prospect of the movie gave my whole fandom a new spark life. This milestone has been achieved. "I've lived to see this day". That's how I feel. Here's my review:

Look and feel: The movie was Les Misérables. It stayed true to it's title, it even emphasized it much more than the stage musical. Therefore it is not the stage musical. It's the 2012 Hooper/Nicholson adaptation. Just like the Les Mis we all know and love is not the original 1980 incarnation, but the 1985 adaptation. Each of those added or emphasized different aspects of the novel, for whatever reasons. Bear that in mind. A big hats off to William Nicholson for a truely great script written by someone who loved the stage version. He managed to free himself from it, go back to the novel to bring more of Les Mis to life while at the same time he stayed true to it's incarnation on stage. The movie is much more radical, political and even more religious. That twisted marriage of Fantine and the sailor gave me the creeps. Gritty, miserable, dark - a tone which underlined the message of hope it ultimately delivers even more so.

Direction and photography: Hooper's biggest achievement for me is bringing Les Misérables to the screen. Which he did. Thank you sir. Overall good but not perfect. I too am not too delighted with the way "Soliloquy" was shown on screen and by the trailers we know that different shots of that scene exist. Some weird angle shots (Valjean's confession WTF?). After "Stars" however the whole thing really grew on me visually. The transition shots were marvellous, would have wished more of that. That slight theatrical feeling worked well in places but...I still would have preferred a vaster universe on screen. And by that I mostly point to all of the scenes taking part before the Cafe Musain. Does OMO really need to be sung exclusively there? Even the script gave Eponine a much larger walk through Paris. My biggest letdown however was "Bring him home". Valjean pacing through the cafe and the place of the barricade without any purpose or aim? Come on. You can do better. However, all the fighting and the crowd scenes were brilliant for my taste. The "Confrontation" was the prime example of great directing: the clash of the main characters coupled with raw fighting, singing and building up tension. Exceptionally well done.

Sound and orchestration: Was intimate and lush at the right moments and although I still am not used to all the alterations since 2006 I didn't notice them here too much. I thought the movie Les Mis had it's own sound and that's good enough for me. An involvement of John Cameron however would certainly have been more true to the whole "we brought the original team back for this"-hey, he's the one who defined the sound of Les Mis (the sound millions fell in love with!!) ever since the OFC recording 1979/80. The use of musical "memories" in Montreuil was a great idea! The sound mixing was great. I feared it could be unbalanced but it wasn't. Oscar worthy.

Portrayals: Too personal for me to judge here I think. Everyone has their favourite actor of a character and even by whom single songs are sung. I wasn't let down by anyone of the cast and that's what counted for me. Even SBC worked for me the way Thenardier was written for the movie(which is not how I like it). And as Les Mis was always an ensemble piece this movie version is certainly not all about single actors for me. Take that marketing campaign! :D However I found all of the students were exceptionally well cast, which makes the cuts of their parts (every cut, stage and film) a big miss for me. I will name those main roles I was really stunned by though, and they are Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne, Aaron Tveit (HE NAILED THE PART!!) and Daniel Huttlestone. And a big applause for Hadley Fraser as the army officer. Such a small role and he got every last bit out of it. The unwanted task to murder his own people and the resolve to get this over with. I loved it.

Characterizations: Valjean was looking too young in Paris when in the novel he already has white hair when he's onboard the Orion. Since noone is complaining about the lack of beard I won't neither. Eponine still that bit too sexy and beautiful for my taste. But that's it for dislikes of character looks. Marius and Fantine win the most from rearrangements and additions for them. While Fantine's situation of despair and misery is much more expanded and IDAD has gained a meaning it never had before, Marius character has been freed from his portrayal as "hey you guys, I'm all fine with that revolution thingy but hey, I've fallen in love, can't you see that...". He is much more active, he is part of the amis, he believes in the cause, and after "My place is here I fight with you" he is a revolutionary down to the bone. His willingness to blow up the barricade is not born out of pure despair but out of belief. He has that fever and ferociousness. I loved the way he was done. Enjolras is neither GIjolras nor any of those I have ever seen or heard so far. He is played as bookjolras, a true leader and bearer of the ideals and the spirit. And he is also shown as "capable of being terrible" in a nod to the novel part with Cabuc. Without a doubt, the best Enjolras I have ever seen. Eponine is altered to serving her only purpose in the whole novel, sacrificing herself for Marius. And what they did with Gavroche was finally getting his character, Hugo's most beloved right! He is the example, the actor and the narrator of the social question, he is the gamin the stage never allowed him to be. If only they had exchanged the "Little People" reprise for "Ten Little Bullets", his part would have been PERFECT. But it's close. Javert...well. He goes through a character arch-and he certainly didn't when his part was written for the stage. In the prologue he is the hard-hearted guard, in Paris 1832 he is still dedicated to his duty but already with resignation and a bit of weariness. It's an interesting question if his character can stay true to his duty and the law no matter if the law is dictated by an emperor, a king of restauration or a king of the revolution. A valid point. Valjean breaks him as much as all that he has experienced in his life. I can't quite approve that approach but it's an interesting new one.

Structure, alterations and additions: Much closer to the novel and the original version at the Barbican. The whole Javert/Valjean part in Montreuil up to "Who am I" was pretty well done. And I found the lyrics and music choices here fitting. "Suddenly" worked well in the context of the movie. The reprise for Valjean's departure gave it a much greater dimension. It's what the stage version really was lacking, a theme for Valjean and Cosette alone, underlining their relationship. They even got rid of some stage dumbness, e.g. Marius standing 2 feet away from Javert during "Intervention" and later on the barricades sitting 2 feet away from him looking him directly in the eye; Gavroche ruining Stars. It even bettered the script in some aspects (the horse police had an awful line in Look Down! thank god that's gone). And to be honest, I'm glad they didn't include any references to 1848 in the final scene. Seeing a now brunette Cosette standing side by side with dead people on a gigantic barricade-noone can tell me that audiences would get that. The bishop in the finale worked wonderful(and Colm sang him magnificent) although I still know and understand why Eponine is there on stage. One thing I will never-ever like though is one line. The change of one line. The change of one word in one line. And it's the last line of the Bishop. "I have saved your soul for God". SAVED?? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?? He b u y s it! He buys it, giving Valjean the chance for a new beginning so he can redeem himself. Valjean is NOT saved at this point. And it's unaltered in the script. Whoever came up with that, I'd really like a word...

Cuts and editing: It's very much stripped down to the plot essentials, and that seemed to always be to the Thenardiers' costs. "Attack on Rue Plumet", Sewers and "The Wedding/Beggars" are left in crumbles. Prominent in the trailers, the aftermath of "Confrontation" didn't make it into the final cut. Same for the part of the prologue with the jailer we could see in the trailer. A bit of a shame. As I said, all 1848 stuff is gone, so no Thenardiers in the final scene either. Some of the script scenes were added as silent montages during introduction music. The final edit though seemed abrupt and harsh (cut to the ABC cafe for example) and this rushing contrasted the pacing of scenes like Soliloquy and IDAD too much. Which to me produced a slow-fast feel of the whole movie which I found a bit disturbing and would have preferred it more even. The producer might say he almost didn't notice the 20 minutes Hooper took out but I certainly did. I want the extended version!

Magic moments: The opening notes gave me the will to jump out of my chair and scream hysterically. I had to rely on giving my friend a fistpump and controlling my breathing. DYHTPS (including building the barricade) stood out for me as the moment on screen. Triumph and tragedy, a symbol for France politically in the 19th century. If ever it deserved it's nickname "unoffical French national anthem" it did with this version. "Final battle" send me chill after chill down my spine and I can't remember blinking or breathing through it. "Let others rise..."-holy moly.

Hommage: I loved every bit of reference to the stage version. A shot in "DWM" looks exactly like the stage barricade seen from an audience POV. The death of Enjolras. The sewers. And there's probably more I haven't spotted yet. Then there's of course the nods to the novel. Marius as the rider on black horse carrying the red flag, a short glimpse of Father Mabeuf during DYHTPS, Gillenormand, Montfermeil at christmas eve, Fauchelevent and the convent, the elephant, Mme. Houchelop, Orestes fasting Pylades drunk, the barricade of the Faubourg Saint-Antoine...loved every single one I could spot, no matter how small or big.

A great version, a wonderful adaptation. My hopes have been fulfilled and excelled in parts. Been waiting for this ever since I first discussed it at the old "Le Café" board of lesmis.com back in 1998. I can finally say what I was hoping to say ever since I read the announcement during the 25th Anniversary concert credits...

SUCK IT LLOYD-WEBBER! :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Anybody see this yet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... onine.html

So looking forward to the Oscars! :D :D :D

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Aaron Tveit talking about Les Mis:

http://www.broadway.com/videos/154524/a ... ewest#play

Great bits in there!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
I'm the type of person who has to feel it's the right moment for certain things before I take the plunge. From an outsider's perspective, it all seems over blown and over-the-top because it appears I'm hesitant due to nerves or what have you. Of course I'm nervous, but it's not causing me to hyperventilate or anything. And trust me, I'm the most impatient person in history, so I usually am the very first one in line for anything that requires a formation of a line to get into.

On Monday, my gut began poking at me and announced: YOU SHALL GO SEE THIS FILM ON FRIDAY. I gently patted my tummy in acknowledgement and went straight to Fandango.com and bought me a ticket for a 3:10 p.m. showing at the Regal 14 Stadium Cinema at L.A. Live in downtown L.A., which is literally a minute away from work. I get out of work at 2:20 p.m., so figured that'd be perfect. Paid the $13 and opted for a mobile ticket. Cool.

Minutes before being let out of prison (work), it dawned on me that I had forgotten to bring medication that I take and highly rely on (for what you ask? None of your business). I don't want to be dead over Les Miserables, so I grunted a bit and decided I'd FLY across downtown L.A., stop by my pad for a sec, grab my damn meds, and FLY back across downtown L.A. and barely make it on time to see the film I had been waiting for since a forlorn Cosette on the back, inside cover of my 1st national tour, 1991 souvenir brochure had announced, "IN 1992, SHE WILL BE GOING TO THE CINEMA," which my belly never really believed anyway, but still.

I FLEW across town to my pad, grabbed damn meds, dashed back into my Baby Honda, put key into ignition, and turrrrrrrrrrned....*crickets* And tuurrrrrrrrned again.....*crickets* And AGAIN.....*die*

I no longer refer to my car as my "Baby Honda." It is now, "that c*ntbag on wheels."

So, yep, couldn't go. The car died, after having the starter replaced just a couple of weeks ago. The mechanic obviously didn't do a good job because I'm sure it's the starter again.

I'm notorious for having the memory of an olden geezer, so trust me, I've already growled at myself for forgetting to take those damn meds. Ah well.

Bright side?

-I can exchange my ticket for another showing whenever my car decides to work.

-That it broke down where it did: right in front of my place. I'd have had to have it towed after the movie had I not gone directly home to get those darn meds, and that almost makes it worth it because downtown L.A. is horrible and having to call a towing service and wait for a tow truck to arrive would've ruined or enhanced whatever mood the film would have put me in, which either way, would not have been pretty. And I'm an impatient mofo and would have squirmed like a hyperactive child without his Ritalin.

Awaiting word from useless mechanic to determine if I could go to the last showing today at 6:40 p.m. or if I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

*shakes fist*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:40 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Poor you! My deepest sympathy for your failed run! But think how poor Cosette was before she ... and how many runs Valjean had to take before he ... you will feel much better!

Quique wrote:
I'm the type of person who has to feel it's the right moment for certain things before I take the plunge. From an outsider's perspective, it all seems over blown and over-the-top because it appears I'm hesitant due to nerves or what have you. Of course I'm nervous, but it's not causing me to hyperventilate or anything. And trust me, I'm the most impatient person in history, so I usually am the very first one in line for anything that requires a formation of a line to get into.

On Monday, my gut began poking at me and announced: YOU SHALL GO SEE THIS FILM ON FRIDAY. I gently patted my tummy in acknowledgement and went straight to Fandango.com and bought me a ticket for a 3:10 p.m. showing at the Regal 14 Stadium Cinema at L.A. Live in downtown L.A., which is literally a minute away from work. I get out of work at 2:20 p.m., so figured that'd be perfect. Paid the $13 and opted for a mobile ticket. Cool.

Minutes before being let out of prison (work), it dawned on me that I had forgotten to bring medication that I take and highly rely on (for what you ask? None of your business). I don't want to be dead over Les Miserables, so I grunted a bit and decided I'd FLY across downtown L.A., stop by my pad for a sec, grab my damn meds, and FLY back across downtown L.A. and barely make it on time to see the film I had been waiting for since a forlorn Cosette on the back, inside cover of my 1st national tour, 1991 souvenir brochure had announced, "IN 1992, SHE WILL BE GOING TO THE CINEMA," which my belly never really believed anyway, but still.

I FLEW across town to my pad, grabbed damn meds, dashed back into my Baby Honda, put key into ignition, and turrrrrrrrrrned....*crickets* And tuurrrrrrrrned again.....*crickets* And AGAIN.....*die*

I no longer refer to my car as my "Baby Honda." It is now, "that c*ntbag on wheels."

So, yep, couldn't go. The car died, after having the starter replaced just a couple of weeks ago. The mechanic obviously didn't do a good job because I'm sure it's the starter again.

I'm notorious for having the memory of an olden geezer, so trust me, I've already growled at myself for forgetting to take those damn meds. Ah well.

Bright side?

-I can exchange my ticket for another showing whenever my car decides to work.

-That it broke down where it did: right in front of my place. I'd have had to have it towed after the movie had I not gone directly home to get those darn meds, and that almost makes it worth it because downtown L.A. is horrible and having to call a towing service and wait for a tow truck to arrive would've ruined or enhanced whatever mood the film would have put me in, which either way, would not have been pretty. And I'm an impatient mofo and would have squirmed like a hyperactive child without his Ritalin.

Awaiting word from useless mechanic to determine if I could go to the last showing today at 6:40 p.m. or if I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

*shakes fist*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thank you sueb1863. I had thought that Golden Globes might have had various technical awards, and some of which might have gone to Les Mis.

sueb1863 wrote:
jdeng, it only won those three, but it won the most awards out of all the movies nominated. Argo and Django Unchained got two each and Lincoln only got one, Best Actor Drama.

Argo was the big surprise winner, Ben Affleck got Best Director and Argo won Best Picture Drama.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 140  Next