Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Les Mis 2010 US 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Les Mis 2010 US
Not sure if you all know this already or not.

But to those of you who liked the 25th anniversary tour, I've got GREAT news for you.

Cameron has confirmed to a journalist at ShowBiz411 at a party for the film, that Les Mis WILL return to Broadway in 2014.

Source: http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/12/28/le ... t-in-movie

I'm actually very happy about this, too. Not as "OMG!!!! *Run around my place* AHHHHH!!! HAPPY as I was when the last revival was announced, but very happy still. =)

Now I'm going to be obsessing about whether or not they will rework the current tour, which I absolutely hope they do. That production is just not good enough for Broadway. I hope they completely rework it.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quique- Hi, remember me? :P

Also, I hate to be cynical, but I think this revival (like the last) is all about the green. I would love it if they revived the musical after a suitable time off simply on the value of doing something different of artistic merit or just trying something new, but the fact that they've done this before without a real reason is just kind of making me almost embarrassed for them. I'm excited that they're returning it to Broadway for the kids who are being exposed to Les Mis for the first time with the movie, and I sincerely hope they incorporate some of the changes from the movie that have for the most point, in my opinion, made the show much stronger. But returning a show with the fanfare of a revival only a few years after it's last closing, only a few years after it's first closing... that's tacky. I live close enough to NYC that having the show on Broadway will prevent local theatres from getting the rights to put on performances (and actually I think this might be the case nationwide if it returns to Broadway.) Instead of seeing it return to Broadway in the wave of new fans and popularity that are hopefully going to follow the movie, I would rather it return to local stages and hopefully drum up new audiences and new lifelines for community theatres.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Also, looking at that article... kind of off-topic, but I am so glad that Taylor Swift wasn't cast. I remember seeing rumors about that ](*,)

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Current Obsession: punctuation
It wasn't a rumor that she was auditioned -- she got at least that far:
"We did audition Taylor," says director Tom Hooper. "We auditioned her more than once, and she worked very hard. It was a difficult decision, but Samantha just had a kind of natural affinity with the role that was unshakable."

I was thinking that even if Taylor Swift had brought out some amazing vocals/acting ability (I mean, who knows; I don't trash people based on the genre they're best known for), she still would've looked like Taylor Swift, and having a less-familiar face let the audience see Eponine more as Eponine. Or at least a face more associated with the role.

I do think the "tour coming to Broadway" thing is kinda funny, but in a way, isn't this sort of what they should've done in 2006? I saw the revival twice and it didn't feel different enough to justify being brought back. I mean, I had a perfectly good time, but after seeing the 3rd national tour over 50 times at that point, it really just felt like another tour stop most of the time.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:27 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
It will have been six years. I don't call that just "a few years" after the last Broadway closing. Les Mis is a popular show, six years isn't really too short a time for NY to go without the show. There's a demand for it. And I say that as someone who is not a fan at all.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:47 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Of course I remember you, Eponine93!

It's tough, because I strongly believe the unbelievable dedication to bringing [literally] the full London/Broadway production to our own cities for so many years has not only spoiled those of us who value that version, but has made it difficult for people like Cameron Mackintosh to continue producing it. Times have changed and unfortunately "modern" today means cutting back because people are slowly but surely losing interest in theatre in general. So they must make it more profitable. Cammack has famously patted himself on the back for reinventing it. He reinvented it so it could remain profitable, but it has been at the expense of the material. Still, this is why I can't dislike him, he's a great producer and a real maverick. Sadly, that doesn't bode well for me and I do wish he'd quit being a douche about the creative team and their far superior version. I very well know that version isn't as profitable today as it used to be. Not because nobody likes it, but because it's expensive to tour and people have already seen it, multiple times. And musicals are losing their footing, in general. I may sound like I am totally irrational and insist on that version all the time. Not really. It's what I go for and prefer after seeing what they've replaced it with, lol.

I don't think people realize how sloppy they are when they make an argument for the current tour. They seem unable to avoid repeating one of the painfully obvious marketing ploys that a second or two of thought would enlighten them as to how untrue it all is. There's a reason why certain members here seem immune to my so-called abuse (if you consider asking questions or for clarification abuse, anyway). Not favoritism. I don't play that way. But some people are fair and even if I disagree with them there's no attempt to push my buttons with unfounded claims designed to make them feel better about liking something I think is of poor quality. If you like it, don't be apologetic. But don't compensate by being a douchenozzle. It's one thing to say you really loved the new version, even thought it was an improvement. Big deal, I'll live. It's another to assert the original orchs were ALL synths, with an oboe thrown in for good measure. Stupid moron much?

You have NO idea.

So don't be sorry for anything you might've said in the past. We've all said naive stuff, but at least you and most of us here don't enjoy coming off like complete and utter ignorants. And definitely DON'T be sorry if you happen to see and love the current tour. You'd think people would know a crazed fan like me would be happy for others' enjoyment of the same musical, regardless of if it's presented in a box or performed by squid.

Welcome back, btw. It's nice to see you here again. :)

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:31 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Ramin Karimloo confirms he will play Valjean in the upcoming Toronto stint of the 25th tour: http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-In ... S-20130213

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
The Laurence Connor-James Powell production is heading to Broadway in March 2014 !!

http://playbill.com/news/article/175165-Another-Day-Another-Destiny-Re-Imagined-Les-Misrables-Will-Make-Its-Broadway-Debut-in-2014

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I learn that there is now an "international production" in France... :roll:

If only this could be true... ](*,) :cry:

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
Ramin Karimloo confirms he will play Valjean in the upcoming Toronto stint of the 25th tour: http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-In ... S-20130213

Quoting myself to add that EARL CARPENTER will play Javert!
http://www.granthamhazeldine.com/

Quote:
Earl Carpenter plays the title role in the first ever touring production of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Alistair Barron, Michael Diana and AC Garcia are also in the cast. After Phantom Earl is starring in and directing a UK and International tour of THREE PHANTOMS before reprising the role of Javert in LES MISERABLES, in Toronto. Alistair Barron joins Earl in THREE PHANTOMS. AC Garcia will be rehearsing for BARNUM, joined by Trina Hill and Max Parker. Max graduates from Arts Ed this summer.

Other cast of Les Mis Toronto 2013: http://www.toronto-theatre.com/theaters ... eative.php

Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I just might have to make a trip to Toronto for this...

Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15