The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jean Valjean and Cosette 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Agreed on those who say it wasn't a sexual thing, but that Cosette replaced all those other women that should have been in his life--mother, wife, daughter.

The 1935 movie isn't always on the money, but it has a very subtle scene that touches on this, and it's conveyed with no more than Frederic March's facial expression. In the words of Arlene C. Harris, author of the LM-themed novel Pont-Au-Change (unlike the other sequels, it's quite well-written) and mistress of the excellent Les Miserables Media Comparison Checklist:

Quote:
A very strange moment not covered in the other versions: when Cosette confesses her love for Marius to Valjean, she says, "He's all the world to me," and Valjean says, "Have you nothing left for me?" And Cosette replies, "But you're my father... I mean, I know you're not my real father, but...." And a light clicks on in Valjean's eyes—though they aren't related, they are. He realizes that his love for her is not the same as her love for Marius, and that though she is everything to him he can never be anything but her father. For Valjean, this is a major blow—he has never loved anyone but her, so she had to be everything for him... but, he is not everything for her. All in all, an interesting twist on the possibilities....

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Jean Valjean and Cosette
I think its pretty obvious that Jean got more than fatherly affection for Cosette though it is a bit obscene.. But hey it is one of Victor Hugos works. Its supposed to be that way- \:D/ Lovely

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:17 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
I am completely sure that Valjean's love for Cosette is like any fatherly love, except that he doesn't have a love for his wife.
So this love is the only one he knows.

There is a lot of Hugo in Valjean. Valjean's love for Cosette is connected with Hugo's love for his daughter.
He had the same feelings than Valjean when his daughter wanted to get married. He felt that someone was stealing his daughter.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:47 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I've got the novel (I don't know if it's abridged or unabridged) right next to me, and it says... "Something quite new was taking place within him. Valjean had never loved anything. [...] But when he had seen Cosette, snatched her up and borne her out of captivity, something had stirred within him." I honestly think that he way he feels for Cosette is beautiul. He's seeing the face of a child. It's probably not "I love you you're beautiful let's go out when you're older" affection, but "you are mine and I have something now to protect and cherish" sort of affection.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
I have to agree.

I don't think you can find anything in the novel or in the musical that could let us understand that the love of Valjean for Cosette is something else than fatherly love. ](*,)

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I think the new movie version musical song 'Suddenly' actually reflects that quite nicely.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3