The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Random Pictures 'n Stuff 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: Random Pictures 'n Stuff
Vanessa20 wrote:
I've seen that pic before... isn't it David Burt?

How many other actors have made the leap from Enjolras to Javert, I wonder?

Woah, second reply and spot on! David Burt (London 1990) is the right answer here. Congratulations Vanessa!

Quote:
Auf die Barrikaden, I do not know the official reason for the removal of that prison wall piece but I imagine it was likely removed due to being largely unnecessary. I suspect Napier had originally designed it after being asked to by other members of the creative team, who probably felt it wasn't immediately obvious enough that it was a prison. Of course, that's all speculation.

I don't think Broadway ever had that prison wall. Again, not 100% sure but I've never seen evidence of its use in New York either at the Broadway or Imperial and I certainly never saw it the 6 times I saw the show at the Imperial starting in '97 and last in January, 2003. The set piece was in use in both the 1st and 2nd U.S. national tours but not in the 3rd U.S. national tour.

Early on during the show's Palace Theatre run, they also used a moving platform that was large enough to carry all the students and all the cafe tables and chairs downstage and would turn along with the revolve after the song was over and then, using the same tracks used to slide the barricade onto the stage, would go back upstage where it would conceal itself, blending in with Napier's static, crumbling main set. I have a London video boot that shows it in action and while it was a nice, smooth trick, it was not as good as what they eventually settled with that most of us know--the abstract representation of the Paris slums doubling as a lower-level interior of the ABC cafe, and all of this going toward the clever return of the barricade halves into their stations in the wings halfway into "Do You Hear the People Sing." In three early performances (2nd NT '89; 1st NT '91; & 3rd NT '92) I saw the way they used to do it without the platform but also without the barricade halves and just the cafe tables and chairs, which the students would run out carrying and place downstage. Prior to that, the barricade halves would separate and go back into the wings, revealing the students who would run out with the furniture. After the song, the revolve would move much like the way it did later with the barricade halves still on it. I can't believe I remember all this stuff, lol.

Random stuff that was totally new to me. Thanks Qique. Never thought the Paris set would have undergone so much trial and error. So many variations to my familiar "Paris set is formed by the halves during Look Down and dissolved during DYHTPS, movement of the turntable for Eponine's Errand, ABC Cafe and DYHTPS"...

Random find of the week:
Site of a former Duisburg performer who collected miz-sung lyrics and mishaps during his time in the show: http://web.archive.org/web/200809280943 ... ck-ups.htm

Plain silly and funny stuff there. The joy of live theater. :D

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:31 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

"It means you get your yellow ticket-of-leave!"

Image Stage...

vs movie!

I want one soooo badly...

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:37 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

There's a new book going to be published: http://www.amazon.com/Les-Miserables-Fr ... s+archives

By Benedict Nightingale. Sounds promising!

A link to another edition produces an image of what to behold as gimmicks to come with it!!

WOAH! SOLD!

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:09 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm sure this is not the first Wordle.net mashup of the lyrics but I thought it turned out really nice. Enjoy!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:44 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Dudu Fisher as Jean Valjean:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Found a bit from the Shanghai 2002 run, the last time of Colm Wilkinson as Valjean:

Wish there would be more from the Shanghai cast. And don't even get me started on that supposed BBC documentary I've never managed to find and see...

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Marie-France Roussel as Mme Thenardier:

Palais des Sports, 1980

Paris Revival, 1991

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

How interesting that the first three Mme. Thénardiers (Marie-France Roussel, Sue Jane Tanner and Jennifer Butt) were all skinny...

I think the people out there complaining that Helena Bonham Carter should have worn a fat suit haven't looked much at old production photos.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Yes, but all of those women are tall and commanding in presence. Helena was completely miscast, somewhat because of her physicality, but not because she's thin.

But because she's thin AND short, thus lacking all of the correct energy for the role.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, I kinda get that... her entrance, in particular, falls a little flat. I like what Tom Hooper does with the shot, with the skewed angel from little Cosette's perspective, but the fact that Helena isn't especially imposing costs it some chill factor.

That said, I do think she does the best she can, and I like the way the script and direction tailors the role to her talents as much as possible. Much better than if she were trying to act and sing like a traditional stage Mme. T. and failing. :)

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan

Awesomesauce! :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Does anyone here have a 1987 London brochure from when Martin Smith was in the cast as Marius? I've been trying to hunt down pictures of him in the role and was hoping someone here may have that brochure and hopefully scan any images of him in the role....

(also, new here! Hello!)

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next