The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Random Pictures 'n Stuff 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: Random Pictures 'n Stuff
Naaa it's not my site-I'm just good at finding tumblrs with rare Les Mis goodness. ;)

Wait, they removed that effect?? When and why?

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:47 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

One Day More...

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:04 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Guess I'd better introduce myself since I see there's a few links to my Tumblr blog in this topic. ;)

Glad you all like the photos as much as I do - the OLC will probably always be my favourite cast and I have many pictures of them.

Here's a few more links to pictures/scans I've posted on Tumblr:

2nd London souvenir brochure(March 1986): http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/19472919020/les-miserables-souvenir-brochure-march-1986

1st London programme from the Palace: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/19194504306/les-mis-olc-programme-from-the-palace-theatre

Barbican poster: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/28050985298/look-what-just-arrived-in-the-mail-today-d

OLC rehearsal pictures: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/32357237992/rehearsals-for-les-miserables-at-the-rsc-1985

OLC Epilogue: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/27856453987/les-miserables-original-london-cast-epilogue

Misc OLC pictures: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/15778563263/les-miserables-original-london-cast-appreciation

Michael Ball/Frances Ruffelle/Rebecca Caine OLC pictures: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/32935175947/michael-ball-rebecca-caine-and-frances-ruffelle

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What amazing pictures! Thank you so much! :D

I just love those old posters and program covers. They're so simple yet so effective, with their gray background and simple black or white font. They aren't depressing, yet they evoke the serious drama of the piece and aren't too flashy for the subject matter. They're just the opposite of the current tour ads with their shiny silver font and sparkly, colorful backgrounds, which seem to pander all too much to the Wicked and Mamma Mia!-loving crowd. (I'm starting to sound like Quique now, but since when is that a bad thing? :D ) Les Mis ads have come in all different colors over the years, but the OLC gray and the dark blue of the TAC VHS and 3rd National Tour programs are the two that most strongly "say" Les Mis to me.

By the way, where did those photos in the last link come from? They look like official stills, but I've never seen them before! I especially like the central one of Michael and Frances... she looks so cheeky. ("I gotcha worried now, I have!") :D

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Thank you, O6s091, for sharing your scans with us. There is no group more appreciative of it than us. :D

I have that exact Palace Theatre program but have also never seen the 2nd souvenir brochure. I thought my copy was the 2nd brochure but it has the standard white cover with Cosette in the middle box and not the full page logo and grey background (which, like Vanessa, is also my absolute favorite artwork for the musical. The stuff today is spectacularly tacky) and a handful of photos are different.

Auf die Barrikaden, I do not know the official reason for the removal of that prison wall piece but I imagine it was likely removed due to being largely unnecessary. I suspect Napier had originally designed it after being asked to by other members of the creative team, who probably felt it wasn't immediately obvious enough that it was a prison. Of course, that's all speculation.

I don't think Broadway ever had that prison wall. Again, not 100% sure but I've never seen evidence of its use in New York either at the Broadway or Imperial and I certainly never saw it the 6 times I saw the show at the Imperial starting in '97 and last in January, 2003. The set piece was in use in both the 1st and 2nd U.S. national tours but not in the 3rd U.S. national tour.

Early on during the show's Palace Theatre run, they also used a moving platform that was large enough to carry all the students and all the cafe tables and chairs downstage and would turn along with the revolve after the song was over and then, using the same tracks used to slide the barricade onto the stage, would go back upstage where it would conceal itself, blending in with Napier's static, crumbling main set. I have a London video boot that shows it in action and while it was a nice, smooth trick, it was not as good as what they eventually settled with that most of us know--the abstract representation of the Paris slums doubling as a lower-level interior of the ABC cafe, and all of this going toward the clever return of the barricade halves into their stations in the wings halfway into "Do You Hear the People Sing." In three early performances (2nd NT '89; 1st NT '91; & 3rd NT '92) I saw the way they used to do it without the platform but also without the barricade halves and just the cafe tables and chairs, which the students would run out carrying and place downstage. Prior to that, the barricade halves would separate and go back into the wings, revealing the students who would run out with the furniture. After the song, the revolve would move much like the way it did later with the barricade halves still on it. I can't believe I remember all this stuff, lol.

Anyhoo, ahhh, I've thread jacked my own thread. Great. All I need now is to be accused of some ambitiously mean-spirited thing by fellow fans who can't just skip over my posts and take it out on me. Masochists! XD

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:14 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

You're welcome :)

My favourite design is the one with the gray background too.
I think the 2nd souvenir brochure might be the only one with that design.
Most of the pictures in the other two early brochures I have are still the OLC. They just added an insert in the center so they have four pages with pictures of the current cast.

The brochures I have:
- 1st OLC (4th December 1985) - white design
- 2nd OLC (except Patti LuPone) (31st March 1986) - gray design
- 1987/88 (Craig Pinder, Clive Carter) - white design
- 1988 (Peter Karrie, Don Gallagher) - white design
- 1995 (10th anniversary concert)
- July 2007 (21st anniversary edition)
- 2010 (25th anniversary concerts)

As for the pictures of Michael, Rebecca and Frances: I found them on www.topfoto.co.uk along with many others. I just removed the watermarks.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

My newest catch from ebay: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9479/lesa.jpg

Original costume from the Duisburg production. :D

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:42 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
^ AHHHHHHHHHH. That's awesomesauce!!!!

That's one thing I've yet to do...try on an official, original production costume! You can offer me a 25th ann. bleach laundered one and I'd say "no thank you." I want the original dirty rags! LOL.

One of my goals is still to slip into Fantine's original dress and twirl in it all day long.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:08 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Guess the Javert! First one who gets it right gets to see the movie-if he/she buys a ticket of course. ;)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:24 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:

Guess the Javert! First one who gets it right gets to see the movie-if he/she buys a ticket of course. ;)

Phillip Quast (with wig)?

comped

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've seen that pic before... isn't it David Burt?

How many other actors have made the leap from Enjolras to Javert, I wonder?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Uwe Kroger. He was a very blonde Enjy in the early 90's (I believe it was the Dutch production) and was Javert very recently in Germany.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next