The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Random Pictures 'n Stuff 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: Random Pictures 'n Stuff
Glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that the official cast photos have gone into a massive decline of quality for years now. I mean yeah there were many odd shots in the past but when they were on spot they were brilliant. Nowadays they look so...mediocre. And the Queen's barricade is just so ridiculously small...

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
They've been in decline since the last few years of the 3rd national tour. But none have been so bad that they make me concerned for the image they're projecting/promoting, being so tacky and cheap, and all. The original production has been verbally maligned unfairly enough in recent years by clueless people with tunnel vision. These production photos are the visual equivalent. :crazy:

I know what it's like to work on something for so long, you develop fatigue which translates very noticeably onto your work. I've experienced fatigue that led to truly embarrassing audio mixing jobs that I've posted, then quickly retracted once I've had a chance to rest and come back to my senses, lol.

I have a feeling the person who worked on those photos likely went through something similar. Otherwise, he/she needs to be fired ASAP, for the good of the show! XD

Btw, some positive things I noticed in those photos (more like the production, lol). They've dumped the granny get-up that was supposed to refresh Eponine's look that debuted with Alexia Khadime and seemed to last all of 5 min. And I dig the detail of Hope's Eponine top being so dirty, you'd never guess it was meant to be white, ha!

Meanwhile, the new budget tour continues to launder the street rat's top in bleach. ROFLMAO.

Last edited by Quique on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Maybe Cameron is trying to make the London production look bad so that more people will flock to the tour. :lol: :lol:

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Quote:
Auf die Barrikaden wrote:

On a side note, what's that kid David Burt is holding?? It's not Gavroche...

I believe that is Liza Hayden. One of the OLC Bullet Boys and also a Gavroche understudy. A very tiny woman:-).

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Th-tha-that's a grown woman???????????????? :shock:

"Tiny" is an understatement! XD She looks younger than Gav! She makes an adorable kid though!

That's the second new Les Mis thing/info/trivia never before known I've discovered this decade! Sweeeeeeet. XD

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:11 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Saw the show on Friday, it was amazing!! I'll share some photos of the theatre later

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:28 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

"La Faute à Voltaire" song, before Boublil an Schönberg...

Those of you who have'nt seen the 1934 movie, that's something you should consider doing someday...

Here, the song "La Faute à Voltaire" before it was set to music by Boublil and Schönberg. Sames lyrics (from Victor Hugo), other music...

(And then you have a nice translation too...)

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:23 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

That's what I got when I looked for "David Burt Javert" on google: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com ... ast-at-the

OLC colour photos and gigantic Barbican stage/barricade FTW!! My Barbican photo collection keeps growing...

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 am

^ Wow! Those are awesome!!!! I'm so happy!

I'm in a hurry and took a quick look at them but will stare at them later on, lol. But I'm assuming that's Patti Lupone? Awesome pic of her. Do you suppose those are VIDEO STILLS? OMG, I'll die if there is a video that clear of the OLC.

And that picture of the GINORMOUS original barricade with an ultra rare, clear view of Napier's atmospheric, crumbling city set that looks majestic as it does alive and faltering. That photo makes me so happy. It is seriously very rare to see a good example of the scale of Napier's effective designs. There's something so lonely yet intimidating about it. Gotta love the abstractness of the scattering of those shuttered windows. Such disorder and one doesn't expect anything other than what it appears to be-just an abstract representation of living units in a city full to the brim with chaos. I suppose that's why I've always found it striking when those windows suddenly light up with that warm glow-there are human beings inhabiting such impossible structures, they've managed to make a home out of chaos. I love how they remain dark throughout the barricade sequences. Nobody's home. We don't know anything. We're too afraid. The city is dead.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Those windows are indeed great !

I think I am right saying that when I saw it in Paris (French revival) I noticed that when Valjean enters his home (rigt wing) in Rue Plumet, a few seconds later, the window lights up.
Then when the turntable makes a 180° spin, the window on the right side fades out, and the one on the left side fade in... :clap:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Don't forget the effect of the prison cell bar windows right at the beginning of the prologue...just light and smoke and shadows, and yet much more atmospheric than pretending to have a ship on stage.

Anyways, to prove my point about the decline of stage photos, check out the first ever souvenir brochure from December 1985: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com ... ure-london

I love love love that "Upon these Stones" photo. Cheer passion. And that one of David Burt waving the flag(it`s in my 91/92 London brochures too).

And to complete it, Barbican programme scan: http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com ... e-barbican

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:23 am

Is that your site?

*dies, dies, dies!!!!*

There are so many awesome photos there! Too much to handle! I have a 1986 edition of the souvenir brochure but this is the first time I see those OLC photos together in the brochure.

I have the program from the Palace either late 1985 or early 1986 but haven't seen the Barbican one either. So much great stuff!

I agree about the prison windows with the bars and light filtering down on the convicts is awesome. I saw it once out of the 30 times I've seen the show and that was the first time when the prison wall was still in use in the show. It had been removed after that and then it made another comeback in Duisburg and both rounds of the U.K. Tour (which used the set of the 1st U.S. national tour after it closed in Chicago in September, 1991). I hardly remember that prison wall. Too bad cause it's striking in the Duisburg proshot.

Btw, the Duisburg production used the 2nd U.S. national tour set--the same one I saw at the Shubert in L.A. for the very first time. It then went to Paris after San Francisco, then possibly other cities in between Paris and Duisburg. How I know these things? I can tell them apart! That's how well I know them, lol.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next