The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Random Pictures 'n Stuff 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Random Pictures 'n Stuff
Vanessa20 wrote:
Quique wrote:
I can't get over how the original French production had a very similar look to the version we all know. And that orchestra!!

Agreed! If this physical production were revived today, using the familiar version of the show, it would still be viable and probably fantastic! Though I might want to scrap the surreal use of chains everywhere... I get the symbolism, but still... weird...

Knowing Robert Hossein's work, it is not that surprising...
It may look surprising in picture, but I'd be very curious to see how it worked on stage.

I'm also curious to know what characters were chained : I'd love to see Javert chained during the barricade scene and keeping them during "Noir ou Blanc" for his suicide !
Javert Chained to his convictions :clap:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Original London Cast performing 'I Dreamed a Dream', 'Bring Him Home' and 'One Day More' at the Olivier Awards

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:40 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

GIjolras in his element, manning the barricade of freedom! (Michael Maguire, first picture from the stint in Washington)

Javert's Arrest, Roger Allam and OLC. Too bad they didn't keep the hat. :D

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:54 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Is that Ken Caswell sneering at him in the background, hehehe.

That hat makes me giggle every time. They should've kept it. A little more added quirk wouldn't have hurt, lol.

I still thank the heavens above the ridiculous white wedding-like dress of Cosette was tossed for the nun's outfit we all know and love and prefer. And by "all," I mean "me." :D

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:28 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

What's not to like about it??

In a show where everyone changes dress a thousand times she wears the same till she gets married...at the abaisse forum an interesting comparison was recently drawn to a dress seen in "The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby", which as we all know was one of the forefathers of the Barbican Les Mis:

Anyway, more OLC cap goodness:

ODM:

On a side note, what's that kid David Burt is holding?? It's not Gavroche...

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:21 am

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
In a show where everyone changes dress a thousand times she wears the same till she gets married.

That really made me laugh. :mrgreen:

Partly because of the thought she hasn't had a chance to change in years, LOL.

Do y'all really take those types of things in a theatre play so literally that it inspires anger and conspiracy theories? I mean, it's fine and I respect anyone who thinks of anything Les Mis related enough to even conjure any sort of passion, but I've always felt this Cosette dress thing isn't worth all of that. 90% of the arguments formed don't take into account the vast differences in theatrical conventions as compared to those of film and, well, reality. That's why I feel it's such a waste over something that someone is misinterpreting in the first place. Maybe I just have my head permanently stuck in the theatrical world, but I've always, even as a obsessed kid, assumed she sports that nun's habit (LOL) throughout so as to not confuse people and so she's a little more identifiable in such a large cast of many different characters.

As for what's wrong with the white dress, it ruins that effect in the end of having her go from conservative and sheltered and wanting to be free and freedom, love, and a new beginning with fulfillment of her dreams. That contrast is gone, the stunning change is gone, and it all looks so monotonous having her in yet another slightly different white dress. I don't care if it's what the book describes her in or what have you. Theatre should aim to support the storytelling and Cosette told us she has hopes and aspirations that involve freedom, a world she had dreamt about since being abused by the evil Thenardiers. The effect of the change from nun's habit (I know that's not what it is but it has a similar effect of ultra conservatism) to gorgeous young lady basking in her newfound freedom and love life symbolically further ties that narrative together in a visual way and I think it's brilliant.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:13 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Movie ad department, anno 1952:

"Yeah, next, we got this movie here, it's Les...something French. Main characters are a con and a prostitute. Any proposals?

"Hmm...French you say? Well how about this..."

"Brilliant, agreed."

THE RESULT:

:shock:

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

LOL,mby she has alot of same dressess? ](*,)

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:18 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Maybe everybody here already saw this, but just in case : Claude-Michel Schönberg about Susan Boyle.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:08 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Just bought this on ebay, anyone ever seen this before?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:09 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yes I've got one of those somewhere. They were selling them during the first year of Les Mis in Sydney back in 1987/88.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Has anyone else seen the pictures of Sierra Boggess as Fantine in London (as well as photos of the rest of the new cast) that BWW posted? If not, click here to see Sierra looking stunning in the awesome original Fantine dress: http://www2.broadwayworld.com/viewcolum ... oid=365427 Scroll down the page for more of the current cast.

I mean no offense to whoever is responsible for what are some of the most ridiculous looking set of onstage shots of the original production I've seen in my life, but not only did they absolutely go Photoshop crazy, I am thoroughly convinced they are trying to make the show look like a nightmare from the 80s. The show looks NOTHING like that onstage at the Queen's. Look at "Lovely Ladies"!

What are they trying to do? Scare people away? Those multicolored, fake streaks/mists of smoke Photoshopped horribly into EVERY scene is overkill. And the company appears to be standing on a grill getting slowly roasted in that unfortunate "One Day More" Kindergarten Photoshop rendering. Ay dios mio! Senor Jesucristo and the Saints!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next