The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Les Mis FAQ 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Les Mis FAQ
Ah, what I thought. Thanks.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Sorry one more question! Does the entire cast sing One Day More?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:29 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
LovelyFantine wrote:
Sorry one more question! Does the entire cast sing One Day More?

Young Cosette isn't in it, so no.

And you can always edit your posts to include an additional question; there's no need to add another.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Just a quick one, does anyone have a complete cast list of the special concert at Windsor castle back in 2004? Was unable to find one. I know Michael Ball played Valjean, McCarthy Javert, Karimloo Enjolras and that Jerome Pradon was in it too...but that´s it.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

As far as I know it was the current cast of the time, but with Michael Ball as Valjean and ex-performers Simon Bowman, Jerome Pradon, Rosemary Ashe, Frances Ruffelle, Jenna Russell and Claire Moore joining the chorus. The rest of the normal cast can be found here (Julia Möller was Cosette and Ramin Karimloo was Enjolras by this time).

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Thank you! I found this list in the meantime: http://www.stephenweller.com/clips/lesm ... .large.jpg

Seen the documentary about Windsor Castle and the concert that took place at just that time years ago and I really regret that no more footage emerged from it since then.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I always get confused about the national US tours. Anyone here able to get the venues and dates straight for me?

Plus, does anyone know when the most productions worldwide were playing at the same time? Like "in 19XX, you had XX barricades rising around the globe, in..." ?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
I always get confused about the national US tours. Anyone here able to get the venues and dates straight for me?

There were three up until the most recent one.

The first two had all closed by the mid 1990s. The third national tour (aka 3NT) had a huge following from then until its closing in 2006.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:02 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
ALL you've ever wanted to know about the Les Mis national tours....

and then some!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Correct, but I think it's also useful to point out the difference between pop/rock concert and musicals national tours. I feel this is where people get confused, as they operate differently yet most people tend to think of musicals tours as following similar touring patterns of pop/rock tours.

I can't count the number of times I've heard people say things like this: A.) "This national tour is the 9th to arrive at ____ city"; B.) "This tour is not as good as the last one that played last year; this one is scaled down," C.) "I've seen many, many national tours of this musical and this one's the best!", D.) "This is THE Broadway national tour I saw last year with THE original Broadway cast."

Three of those were said by the same know-it-all person sitting behind me at a performance back in 2006. I wanted to scratch my eyes out in frustration. But all of them have been said either online or in person at one of the 30 performances I've attended over the years.

A national tour of a musical is unlike a concert tour of a pop/rock artist in that it can last as long as a couple of decades as opposed to the maximum of several months to a year commonly scheduled for Madonna, U2, or other pop/rock artists' tours.

A lot of people think the Les Mis national tours run for a few months, close, then are re-launched in either a whole new version or newly produced familiar version and are officially separate tours from any previous ones. They are confusing ENGAGEMENTS of the SAME national tour with premiere engagements of new tours. I think it's hard for people to believe a tour of anything could run non-stop for decades. Well, they better start believing because that's exactly how tours of musicals operate. In recent years there have been hiatuses, which I think are an excellent idea as they allow touring troupes much-needed rest, which reflects in the performances on stage in some way or another eventually. The third national tour started having hiatuses in 2004 (not so sure on exact year, correct me if I'm wrong), the first break since opening in 1988! Keep in mind that crew and cast members are constantly leaving and entering the tour, so it's not like the same people tour with it non-stop, for the most part (although J.P. Dougherty's Thenardier is an exception!).

So, like TVAW stated, three national tours:

1st National Tour: A replica of the Broadway production, this tour was the most technically elaborate of the three in that it was specifically designed for longer "sit-down" runs in major U.S. cities. This tour premiered at Boston's Shubert Theatre in 1987 and toured continuously without hiatuses until its closing in Chicago during its second engagement at the Auditorium Theatre in late 1991.

The first national tour (called either the "Fantine" or "Cosette" company--I get the nicknames mixed up all the time!) also played in the following cities: Washington D.C. (Kennedy Center's Opera House), Philadelphia (Forrest Theatre), Detroit (Fisher Theatre), Baltimore (Mechanic Theatre), and Los Angeles (Pantages Theatre), where a certain crazed fan saw it on 26 Feb., 1991, 8.pm., 2nd row orchestra, right-center. XD

The 2nd national tour, replicating the Broadway production in its entirety, was also designed for long runs in major cities. The tour premiered in Los Angeles on 1st June, 1988 and remained there for 14 months, then transferred to San Francisco's Curran Theatre, playing there until its closing in January, 1991. I think it was officially recognized as a "national tour" because it was planned for other cities but the long runs in both L.A. and S.F. probably disrupted those plans. That's mostly my own theory and I'm not always 100% correct, so who knows?! This tour's physical production was then shipped to Paris' Mogodor Theatre for the show's revival engagement later on that year.

The 3rd national tour (the "Marius" company) toured non-stop until 2004 (I think) when it began having hiatuses. It played in God-knows-how-many U.S. cities and towns and was above all not only an exact replica of the fabulous Broadway production (er, sans center revolve donut thingy), it also featured the same level of quality in performances and talent (sometimes even better!). It basically helped do away with the low-level expectation common in many 2nd, 3rd national tours of musicals of the 60s through the early 80s where understudies (usually far less qualified than those of today) took over the leads and production was scaled down tremendously for easier (cheaper) touring. I've seen this national tour many times and have always come away in awe at how well it reproduces the Broadway experience, which I've had the pleasure of experiencing 6 times. It was the real deal.

I don't know if the current tour could be considered a 4th national tour. It is an official Cammack production but different in design. I guess it could be considered a 4th but not of the original production, which is missed so much, it makes bunnies cry.

Hope this haaaalps.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Quique wrote:
The 3rd national tour (the "Marius" company) toured non-stop until 2004 (I think) when it began having hiatuses. It played in God-knows-how-many U.S. cities and towns and was above all not only an exact replica of the fabulous Broadway production (er, sans center revolve donut thingy), it also featured the same level of quality in performances and talent (sometimes even better!). It basically helped do away with the low-level expectation common in many 2nd, 3rd national tours of musicals of the 60s through the early 80s where understudies (usually far less qualified than those of today) took over the leads and production was scaled down tremendously for easier (cheaper) touring. I've seen this national tour many times and have always come away in awe at how well it reproduces the Broadway experience, which I've had the pleasure of experiencing 6 times. It was the real deal.

Pretty much. Prior to it becoming the only Les Miz tour, the 3NT was often just called the "bus and truck," because it traveled so much longer and for shorter stops than the first two. I think they dropped that partially because of the stigma which Quique mentions above, but partially because so many other tours don't really sit down that much anymore anyway.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Yeah, a "bus and truck" tour was specifically one that played short engagements in many cities over a long period of time. It also usually alluded to lower standards as it was common, accepted practice at the time as technology wasn't so advanced as to allow a faithful reproduction of the original to tour cheaply and efficiently for short stops. This is also why the myth of Broadway being THE destination for the real deal persists today, even though first-run productions and tours that involve the original creative teams are almost always indistinguishable from and feature like-talent as seen in the original Broadway productions nowadays.

I should also explain the inclusion of the frustrating use of "Broadway national tour" by people who don't know better, in the examples above. Yes, people actually take "Broadway National Tour" literally and assume it's literally DIRECT from Broadway as the ads suggest. I think it's a clever marketing strategy designed to boost a tour's image and fool most audiences into thinking they're being served the original cast. I've overheard 3 different people allude to this on 3 separate occasions and have read many online that mean the same thing. Initial reaction is one of shock, as it's incredible to think anyone would believe the original cast is touring with the show more than a decade after they opened on Broadway! But you have to consider the little amount of dedicated fans this art form has who know better compared to the general public who might be crazy about the show but be unaware of those sorts of details.

As for the inclusion of the quotes that claim the same tour is scaled down compared to a previous engagement, in a show like Les Miserables, where the scenes are depicted in darkness awash in moody hues that highlight action and events as opposed to specific locale and time, elements such as music and level of performance can bring the whole thing down to the point where the whole thing seems cut back and compromised in some way. It isn't detail, but a huge aspect, one most people don't care about due to being unaware of its impact and aren't consciously paying attention to as a result. Music in musicals is important but until the public experiences the rush an orchestra and its orchestration could achieve, they will continue to project blame on elements that are open to interpretation, such as the original Les Mis designs, which rely on audience imagination, avoiding the spelling out of setting--thus achieving a more compelling perception of its scenes to ordinary life off stage. Thankfully, it has been fulfilling for 25 years, even in its mostly spare use of space and props; the composition of elements is ingenious as it tells what it needs to tell, in as little as possible but somehow touches us in just the right way as to highlight the emotions.

Then, suddenly, HUGE transformer barricade crawls onto the scene!!!! XD

Oh, how I love the original production. *wells-up w/ tears*

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:03 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

So my basic assumption that the 1st Tour was touring the East Coast, 2nd the West and the 3rd the South before 1st and 2nd closed down was kinda wrong. And there was the Canadian tour...

Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next