The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Les Mis FAQ 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
It depends on which "Original Cast" you have. The only recording of the entire show is the 1988 Studio Recording which has 3 CDs. The Original London Cast Recording omits much and is also a Concept Recording rather than an ordinary Cast Recording. The Original Broadway Cast Recording is for most parts the same as the Original London Cast Recording, although this does not include anything not being in the actual stage show.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:24 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks! And are all these parts on the original cast CD?

Actually, barely any of them are

Though the original cast does include I Saw Him Once and the complete Little People, which were omitted later. I adore those parts myself.

If you want the full show, buy the Complete Symphonic Recording. It's my personal favorite cast-wise too, though a lot of people might disagree with me there;~;

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:38 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
If you want the full show, buy the Complete Symphonic Recording.

Full show as of 1988.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

The one I have is the original London cast recording from 1985. Looking at the track list it seems to omit a lot of these things too but I'm wondering about parts from the songs that are there like the part in Lovely Ladies.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:04 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Not taking the current changes made in the 25th anniversary tour into consideration, the original London cast recording differs from the full 1988 version most fans are familiar with only slightly. The most significant differences are Gavroche's song, "Little People," and "I Saw Him Once" sung by Cosette, both cut from the show early in its London run.

[Disc 1]

-Opening bars are different. Some people call it the overture.
-"Stars" has a different orchestration intermixed with the more familiar one and it comes before "Look Down."
-"Look Down" consists of a chorus singing the same "uh, huh" heard at the top of the show by the convicts and the lines usually sung by Marius and Enjolras are sung by Combeferre and Feuilly to a slightly different melody.
-"Little People" after "Look Down." In the actual show, this song came before "Drink With Me."

[Disc 2]

-"I Saw Him Once" short song that segues into "In My Life."

And, of course, there are the many, many cuts I won't list, which makes the recording more of a highlights album. But those are the differences that make the London cast recording unique from the many recordings available.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:43 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Not taking the current changes made in the 25th anniversary tour into consideration, the original London cast recording differs from the full 1988 version most fans are familiar with only slightly. The most significant differences are Gavroche's song, "Little People," and "I Saw Him Once" sung by Cosette, both cut from the show early in its London run.

[Disc 1]

-Opening bars are different. Some people call it the overture.
-"Stars" has a different orchestration intermixed with the more familiar one and it comes before "Look Down."
-"Look Down" consists of a chorus singing the same "uh, huh" heard at the top of the show by the convicts and the lines usually sung by Marius and Enjolras are sung by Combeferre and Feuilly to a slightly different melody.
-"Little People" after "Look Down." In the actual show, this song came before "Drink With Me."

[Disc 2]

-"I Saw Him Once" short song that segues into "In My Life."

And, of course, there are the many, many cuts I won't list, which makes the recording more of a highlights album. But those are the differences that make the London cast recording unique from the many recordings available.

Well, the much slower Confrontation, rather different instrumentals in Dog Eats Dog and the slightly different Drink With Me also deserve a mention at least, if I may say so.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:07 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Correct. Slipped my mind (and didn't intentionally leave them out as your post suggests :P), though I wouldn't include the Confrontation since the whole recording is slower than what most people are used to.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Correct. Slipped my mind (and didn't intentionally leave them out as your post suggests :P), though I wouldn't include the Confrontation since the whole recording is slower than what most people are used to.

The recording is indeed much slower overally, but in the others I never noticed it as much as there. Though I do like the slower Confrontation~.

Also, is it just me or is the ending (after they say "I swear to you I will be there") a tad longer on the OLC? =/

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:20 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Les Mis FAQ
In the rehearsal photos on the 25h Anniversary Tour Facebook page it looks like Ashley Artus is in 'At The End Of the Day', do the principals play extras as well?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes. I'm not sure about the tracks in the touring production, but I'm fairly sure they're very similar to the original production. The tracks (at least definitely last year's London tracks, and possibly this is true for other seasons and productions as well to some degree) are:
From DYHTPS on, Fantine is one of the "barricade boys" - ensemble girls dressed up as boys that follow the students to the barricades, and she stays at the barricades until "Dawn of Anguish".
Eponine and Cosette are both workers on the farm and people at the inn during On Parole, they are part of the crowd in the Bishop scene, unemployed/workers in ATEOTD and whores in Lovely Ladies.
Thénardier is one of the convicts (back row in the middle in London) and also part of the ensemble in the respective scenes that follow (On Parole, Bishop, ATEOTD).
Mme Thénardier is Madame Magloire (the domestic servant for the Bishop), is also in ATEOTD as one of the poor and one of the workers... and if she doesn't stand out too much, she is also one of the whores, I believe (Jackie Marks was, Lorraine Bruce isn't).
Marius is the second convict from the left in the back row, a worker/guy at the inn in On Parole and part of the crowd in the Bishop scene, one of the unemployed in ATEOTD, he is the factory worker that gives the whistling signal when Valjean comes through the gates, he is one of the workers that hang around just before IDAD, in Lovely Ladies he is the priest, then he's one of the constables that drag Fantine off, and he's the judge on the right in The Trial.
Enjolras is the second convict from the right in the back row, a worker on the farm, one of the guys at the inn that beat up Valjean and throw him out of the inn, part of the crowd in the Bishop scene, one of the unemployed in ATEOTD, he is the first factory worker in the queue and opens the gate after they get their pay, he is also one of the workers that hang around just before IDAD, he is the "Captain" that can "wear his shoes" in Lovely Ladies, he is the other constable of the two that drag Fantine off, he's the judge on the left in The Trial and he's the waiter at The Wedding.

I think that's all. ;)

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Interesting! Thanks for the info, you know your stuff. Oh, one mroe thing, is Fantine in the ATEOTD intro (when they're in the cloaks)?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

LovelyFantine wrote:
Interesting! Thanks for the info, you know your stuff. Oh, one mroe thing, is Fantine in the ATEOTD intro (when they're in the cloaks)?

No, she isn't. The unemployed all hurry off to the side/into the wings as the revolve turns (except for a few that move behind the gate and "beg" - last season those four were David, Nancy, Alistair and Martin N), and there are a few workers (one woman, two men, the Factory Foreman and Fantine) who just enter the scene right there and who weren't in the intro. They're the ones that sing the first lines, too.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next